Getting through a plateau- how did YOU do it?

Options
Anyone who has gone through a plateau and come out the other side; what helped? I'm in the midst of one at the moment and am very hesitant to calorie cycle (I don't trust myself!) and I'm shaking up my exercise at the moment... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• laurwillbelovely
    Options
    bump
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • blueeyedangelar
    blueeyedangelar Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump......need help breaking a 2 year plateau here
  • citizencrp
    citizencrp Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    increased water intake to minimum 8 glasses a day. more like 10-12.
    Seems to have gotten me out of my plateau. This time.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I ate...more...a lot more. Weight stalled and I didn't lose an ounce on low calories. Figured out my TDEE now I eat at a small defict of that (15%max) it's made a world of difference.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    taking synthetic hormones.
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I dropped my carb intake to less than 100 grams of carbs per day for a week. Then, I calorie-cycled for another few weeks and things tended to get back on track. I plateaued again 8 pounds later, and I'm still there. I think I'm getting to that point where my body is happy with what weight I am, and doesn't want to lose and let go any more. But, I also added a lot of stress to my life over the last month with a move and a new school semester, so I'm sure that isn't helping my weight loss. Once things settle down, i'll go through that plateau-buster again and see what happens.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm currently stuck. I'm cutting my carbs back...I usually weight lift/ do cardio during the week...I'm going to concentrate on the cardio...I really want to bust 210lbs. I've been eating maple and brown sugar oatmeal...I'm going back to eggs, or if I eat oatmeal, it will the original cardboard flavor.
  • laurwillbelovely
    Options
    Cool, some ideas, but we need more!!!

I like the increased water thing, I think that's a big one for me, mistaking thirst for hunger...
    For those of you who HAVE got through and reached goal (if you're on here and not just swanning around in a bikini right now:)), what did you do to get through, let's get HEAPS of ideas!
  • natalap
    Options
    I dropped my carb intake to less than 100 grams of carbs per day for a week. Then, I calorie-cycled for another few weeks and things tended to get back on track. I plateaued again 8 pounds later, and I'm still there. I think I'm getting to that point where my body is happy with what weight I am, and doesn't want to lose and let go any more. But, I also added a lot of stress to my life over the last month with a move and a new school semester, so I'm sure that isn't helping my weight loss. Once things settle down, i'll go through that plateau-buster again and see what happens.

That's what I'm trying to do, that seems like it works...my problem is, now that I've upped my carbs and overall calories, I'm having trouble cutting down again! Help??
  • Jkelly1221
    Jkelly1221 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    upped my calories a bit and stayed with the same exercise routine. took awhile, but was worth it.
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Upped my calories, zig zagged my calories (cycled them) and switched up my workouts. Also tried eating well for 6 days and then having a cheat day. They've all worked for me.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I had been dieting awhile and then I hit a plateau for 3 months. Someone in the forums suggested that I go to maintenance for awhile and then go back to a deficit. It worked like a charm. I went to maintenance for about a month I think.
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    bump......need help breaking a 2 year plateau here

And here I am feeling sorry for myself over my 5 month plateau. You have so much patience!

I've tried upping my calories. I maintained beautifully. Two weeks ago I started lifting weights again - so far I've "gained" 2 pounds but I know this is normal when weight lifting. If I don't see a change by the end of the year I'll try something new.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Not to make you lose hope, but I have been on a plateua since April. I have tried everything. Upping exercise, changing my exercise, lifting weights, calorie cycling, increasing calories, increasing water, etc. People made suggestions and none of them worked for me. Good luck finding something that does work. Remember, everyone is different, so what worked for one may not work for you. Increasing calories for me after figuring out TDEE and such only caused me to gain five pounds, even when increasing my exercise. Just saying.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    6 month plateau. Broke it by spiking. It's a type of calorie cycling with one very large calorie day a week.
  • SnowboardinTink
    SnowboardinTink Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey try cinnamon, ginger and a bit of nutmeg in your oatmeal.

Thanks for explaining calorie cycling I had no idea!

I lost 2 stone before getting married, emigrated and gained 2 stone so I'm starting again at the beginning - the dangers of weigh scales in shipping!

Good luck everyone!
  • GCAsMom
    GCAsMom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    What I did was drop my exercise down from an hour and a half of cardio six days a week to 30 mins six days a week, started lifting at home with adjustable dumbbells. And this is the key, I think: I started zig-zagging my calories. I've been dropping weight like crazy now. I've been zig-zagging for a little over a month and have lost 14 lbs. Feel free to read my profile for a few more details. And anyone is free to view my food/exercise diary as well. :)