Some people just need higher carbs ?

Options
I cycle a lot and when I workout at the gym, I go at it pretty hard for around 60-90 minutes, burning between 600 and 900 calories a session. I used to eat a diet that included carbs such as wholegrain rice, quinoa, baked potatoes and sweet potatoes, and an average amount of protein but switched it months ago to being higher protein, and most of my carbs coming from veggies, fruit, chickpeas and the occasional raw food bar. I have noticed since then that my mood has become a lot more depressed and my energy to workout has dwindled. I also weighed slightly less when I had less protein.

Is it just that some people are designed to thrive on higher carbs than others ?

Replies

• amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    You may need to eat more carbs, especially when you exercise harder. Have you tried taking a recovery drink after working out? Some people like chocolate milk, orange juice or simple banana smoothies to help replenish their energy after a workout. I eat a few more carbs on cardio days than I would on strength days just because I feel better when I do.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I don't know about thriving but when I cut carbs that drastically I'm a huge B**** so to spare my friends and co workers I will never go no carb. lol

No one way of eating works for everyone you have to do what works for you so if you feel better eating some healthy carbs I say go for it.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Yep, need my carbs or I get really, really cranky.

I think it's one of those know your own body situations. Find what works for you and don't worry about the flavor of the week.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Before I got into the later stages of my running program I cycled and had a low carb day every week aiming for a net <40-50. I was always a total B those days. My bloodsugars weren't stable, I was more tired but it helped me progress. I don't miss those days and throroughly enjoy my daily dose of 250 grams or so of carbs these days. :)
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I definitely think some people thrive on lower carbs, some on higher carbs. Lower carb seems to work better for me and limiting my carbs to mainly fruits and veggies seems to be a key for me. Once I got thru the first couple weeks, my energy level improved.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I definitely think some people thrive on lower carbs, some on higher carbs. Lower carb seems to work better for me and limiting my carbs to mainly fruits and veggies seems to be a key for me. Once I got thru the first couple weeks, my energy level improved.

Yeah been getting most of mine from those sources, and my energy levels drag right down as the week goes on, and as soon as I eat some different carbs, such as bread or a treat like a cookie, I am suddenly less depressed and can fuel a better workout next day. I do tend to do 60-90 minutes most days of the week though and walking.

I love my fish and protein, seriously, hard to break the habit of high protein and re introduce some more complex carbs back in as scared of retaining water.
  • chasingfreedom
    Options
    Yeah been getting most of mine from those sources, and my energy levels drag right down as the week goes on, and as soon as I eat some different carbs, such as bread or a treat like a cookie, I am suddenly less depressed and can fuel a better workout next day. I do tend to do 60-90 minutes most days of the week though and walking.

I love my fish and protein, seriously, hard to break the habit of high protein and re introduce some more complex carbs back in as scared of retaining water.

Sounds like adding carbs back in would be a great idea for you given how good you feel after your weekend carb treats. Maybe as you ease in some healthy carbs you could also up your intake of natural diuretics like celery, cucumber, and coffee to combat any water retention? :)
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    more exercise you do the more carbohydrates you need.
  • healthynotthin
    healthynotthin Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I love carbs. Have you looked up Eat Right For Your Blood Type? I'm 90% sure I'm type A due to what they describe my blood type craves and operates most efficiently on. I constantly want chicken, dairy products, and fresh fruits/veggies, and should exercise a moderate-significant amount. Type O blood types generally function well on red meat/cooked vegetables and very low carbs, and should exercise a lot. Et cetera. I don't know if this is true but I've been pretty fascinated lately, because I constantly crave carbs! I know how you feel.