About 10lbs lost but still high body fat!

Options
Hi community,

I'm at a loss for an explanation and am turning to the community for advice. Over the past 8weeks I've began my get fit journey with first assessing my diet and decreasing my daily calories to 1200-1400. I'm 5'5 and began at roughly 144lbs 29percent body fat. I'm now down to 135, but still at 28 percent fat! I'm decently active and of course some days more than others, but haven't been lifting much on a regular basis. I'm a wine lover and understand too much alcohol decreases testosterone thus affecting fat loss, but I still don't understand why I have lost a decent amount of weight but very little fat (and almost 10lbs can't just be water weight). Even the trainer at the gym was surprised that my body fat is coming back so high when I don't look overweight. Any advice on what I need to do now in terms of exercising, supplements (currently taking milk thistle pill, multi vitamin and ground flaxseed) , Lower calorie intake?? What really is the 'right' weight I should be at any way? I'm now going on a one month fast from alcohol to see what happens by Nov. 1st, but any other suggestions or recommendations would be most appreciated. Thanks!!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You've lost weight and your BF% has gone done so that's good. But it sounds like you've lost weight primarily with dieting, so you'll lose almost as much lean body mass as fat. In essence your scale weight will go down but you'll basically be left with a smaller version of your current self.

Start a strength training program. That way the weight you lose will consist mostly of fat while you retain your lean body mass. Your BF% will decrease at a much faster rate plus you will really like the results you see in the mirror.
  • Tanyam1233
    Options
    Thanks DavPul- started a weight lifting program this week - will keep you posted on progress in 1month!