Help, I've hit the wall!!

Options
I'm looking for some advice on how to cross the barrier I am having at 160...
I cannot seem to get past it.....It's like my body has settled into this new weight and is ok with it....
I'm not!! I still want to lose 20 more pounds, but I am struggling....I'm working out and am doing my best to control my diet...is there anyone out there who has gone thru the same thing or that can offer me some new advice.....
I workout 3 times a week-running, elliptical, bike.....and started really working on my weights last week......

Replies

• TRThurston
    Options
    I have a similar question... I have been working out and dieting for 25 days. I am staying under my calorie goals and I am going to the gym daily. I was consistantly losing weight, until this week, when now I have gained 2.5 pounds... HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN, HELP ME PLEASE!
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Bump to see responses. I'm in the same boat!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Plateaus are a normal part of any weight loss. It is time to shake things up. Add another session of exercise, change what exercise you are doing, change what you are eating. I was on a plateau for 3 months but I kept on with it and was rewarded in the end

As to you TR Thurston... is it your TOM? That causes you to retain water, have you eaten something that is high in sodium? You need to look at your weight loss as an overall thing and not a week to week success or failure. You are down 13 lbs.... that is a success
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    try changing your workout.."muscle confusion" often helps people get over their plateau
  • loudog72
    Options
    Your body DOES get used to certain excercise and diet and most people hit the wall - try to shake things up a little to jump start your body into a new routine. Also lifting weights can temporarily add pounds as you add muscle and burn fat. I am at the same stage as both of you. I was dropping weight for a few months then the last 2 weeks, nada. Just keep plugging away and try to change things up a little, maybe even the time of day you are working out? I hope things work out for us if we keep on moving along. Don't shut it down now.
  • elysant
    elysant Posts: 139
    Options
    I remember reading somewhere that you should try mixing up your caloric intake. That way you can keep you body guessing as to what it has coming in each day so that it can't just sit back and do what it has been. The idea was to maintain a consistent calories per week but to change the number of calories per day.

e.g. If you daily calorie intake is 1,500, then you're weekly would be 10,500

So the example for daily would be:
    Sunday 1500
    Monday 1600
    Tuesday 1300
    Wednesday 1700
    Thursday 1500
    Friday 1400
    Saturday 1500

Total 10,500

You do this as well as changing up your exercise routine (time of day, add an extra cardio, add an extra strength, etc) until you break the plateau.

I hope this helps.
  • elysant
    elysant Posts: 139
    Options
    I remember reading somewhere that you should try mixing up your caloric intake. That way you can keep you body guessing as to what it has coming in each day so that it can't just sit back and do what it has been. The idea was to maintain a consistent calories per week but to change the number of calories per day.

e.g. If you daily calorie intake is 1,500, then you're weekly would be 10,500

So the example for daily would be:
    Sunday 1500
    Monday 1600
    Tuesday 1300
    Wednesday 1700
    Thursday 1500
    Friday 1400
    Saturday 1500

Total 10,500

You do this as well as changing up your exercise routine (time of day, add an extra cardio, add an extra strength, etc) until you break the plateau.

I hope this helps.