Advice on Focus from the pros?

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
Alrighty, so here goes. As long as I've been on here, I have had 160lbs as my goal. However, I'm starting to think that 180 would make a bit better of a goal for me, and at that point just focus on dropping my Body Fat%. My final goal has always been to look 'cut,' not to look emaciated. But I also know that people tend to perceive how they will look at a certain weight differently than they actually will look. I'm 5'8, wide frame. To this day I have trouble wearing some medium sized shirts because my shoulders are too broad.

So, advice would be appreciated. I still have 24lbs to go until 180, which by the rate I've been going will be about 6 or so months, hahaha (especially with the running season starting in march for me).

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I'm not a pro, but I would think 180 would be a good weight if it involved muscle tone. Especially if you have wide shoulders to begin with. 160 sounds a bit skinny but I am married to someone that is 165 and 6'6" so I might not be the best advice.
  • msarro
    Options
    Any other advice? :)
  • happybrooke
    Options
    Why not talk to your Dr? That's what I did. I found that the 135-140lb goal was unrealistic for my body. I also have broad shoulders (for a girl!) and he told me that I would probably find myself at my healthiest at 150lbs. He also confirmed that was a healthier goal. That's where I'd start if I were you.
  • msarro
    Options
    Hrm, I actually don't have a PCP. Maybe it'd be a good time to start.
  • bostonmia
    bostonmia Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind sharing, do you know what your current body fat % is? I understand seeing a number on the scale is important, but if you are strength training and have a decent cardio program going you may be dropping fat lbs and replacing with muscle. And of course who doesn't want more muscle, because muscle burns more calories than fat.
  • msarro
    Options
    Actually I don't know the current %. Most likely a lot, lol.
  • bostonmia
    bostonmia Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Do you have a gym membership? If you do, you can ask the fitness office if they can do your body composition assessments. Best to go in the afternoon when your body is fully hydrated before working on to get a more accurate read. Either they will have a scale of some sort or will go the old school (or rather my favorite route) and do the caliper test. That should really help you out to know these numbers. Best of luck to you :)
  • inkaddict
    Options
    If you ask me, I think you look damn good right now. Hubba hubba (wink!)