Rest Days

Options
How important is it to have a rest day?
I work out everyday, doing 1 hour of cardio & 30 mins - 1 hour strength training.

Let me know what you guys think!

Replies

• nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    its important with strength training. Cardio not really.
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am doing P90X, and I still go for a jog or walk on my rest day.
  • MSxJENNY
    MSxJENNY Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Okay.. thanks guys :)
  • Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I believe in them whole heartedly. Worst case scenario, an active rest day if I am particularly antsy.
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    It's important to have a rest day. That doesn't necessarily mean you have to sit on your *kitten* and do nothing. Of course, even that is ok once in a while. A rest day can be an 'easy' day. Maybe take a walk with your SO, or your kids. Maybe a ride with the fam.

But yes, it's important to back off a bit once in a while and 'rest'.
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    its important with strength training. Cardio not really.

this
  • xoyasminxo
    Options
    Always take a rest day. Your body builds muscle when it rests. If you feel sluggish, tired, always sore, it is because you need to rest.
  • xoyasminxo
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I love taking off a full 5 days every 8-10 weeks. It is really what my body needs and I never regret doing it or get discouraged with my goals because I know it helps and I always feel better
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    if you feel great, and are making progress the way you want, don't change. If you feel run down, get sick more than you used to, or just aren't seeing improvement (especially with strength), take a day. Or two. If it drives you nuts, the moderate/easy suggestions others have put forward are great ideas. Muscle is built when you're NOT lifting, repairing the tears from lifting. Some runners run 7 days a week, their "off" is an easy 5 miles.

Most important - listen to your body. Do what feels right for you.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I run. I have to take days off if I am to improve. Most marathon training programs give you days off, usually two days a week; and those are programs designed to work you really hard in order to build speed and endurance.
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I do a relatively light cardio and I take one day off per week. It feels good, it keeps me in balance and wanting to go back. I just took off 4 days, first time in three months. Felt good and today was back to the gym and that felt good too.

The key is to find the balance that works for you.
  • LuckyTerrier
    LuckyTerrier Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't normally take a complete rest day because I really enjoy being active. Normally I do lighter cardio than normal on my designated rest day and no strength training.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I don't normally take a complete rest day because I really enjoy being active. Normally I do lighter cardio than normal on my designated rest day and no strength training.
    +1, I just jog for about 40-45 mind on my rest day. Unless it falls after legs day, then count me out for that lol
  • findfan4ever
    findfan4ever Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Rest days are absolutely essential in all fitness programs. If one ignores these rest day, they actually hinder and hurt their fitness progress. Not only is post exercise rest essential for immediate physiological recovery, rest days allow the body to recover and rejuvinate even more. While we may feel we will not be making any gains if we have a rest day or two during the week, these days are essential to IMPROVING fitness and reaching goals. Without rest days, you will eventually plateau and decline in progress.
  • xoyasminxo
    Options
    Rest days are absolutely essential in all fitness programs. If one ignores these rest day, they actually hinder and hurt their fitness progress. Not only is post exercise rest essential for immediate physiological recovery, rest days allow the body to recover and rejuvinate even more. While we may feel we will not be making any gains if we have a rest day or two during the week, these days are essential to IMPROVING fitness and reaching goals. Without rest days, you will eventually plateau and decline in progress.

THANK YOU also if you do not take rest days, you are setting yourself up for future injuries.