In carbs red nearly everyday-help!

Options
Anyone have any ideas of how to cut out some carbs in my daily diet, my diary is open to view. I tend to go into the red everyday.

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Unless you have to restrict carbs for medical reasons or are doing some low-carb diet, either don't worry about it - or go into settings and raise the limit if the red numbers bother you. So long as you stay under MFP's calories recommendations, you will lose weight wherever those calories come from. Even a couple of pieces of fruit can put you over and no-one would recommend you ate less fruit!

Edit: Having said that, looking at your diary, you do have quite a lot of refined sugar carbs - Jaffa cakes, Ricicles, cereal bars, caramel wafers etc. Look at introducing more complex carbs - porridge, wholemeal bread and pasta, potatoes and other veg etc. - to keep you fuller longer.
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Less cereals, potatoes and rice. But you seem to be eating alright so don't stress too much
  • debsclio
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I have one jaffa cake each morning as its the only thing I can swallow all my tablets with!! I can easily cut the potatoes so wil start with that. Thanks again :)
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Try to replace some of your bread and potatos with vegetables - this should help a bit.
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest a higher protein breakfast. Cereal is mostly carbs and won't keep you full nearly as long as a breakfast with protein. Aiming for around 20 grams of protein with breakfast and some kind of high quality carb with fiber like whole wheat bread will keep you full and satisfied longer. Carbs generally leave you craving more carbs.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest a higher protein breakfast. Cereal is mostly carbs and won't keep you full nearly as long as a breakfast with protein. Aiming for around 20 grams of protein with breakfast and some kind of high quality carb with fiber like whole wheat bread will keep you full and satisfied longer. Carbs generally leave you craving more carbs.

I was going to suggest this. Try replacing the cereal with oats/granola and far free greek yoghurt or scrambled egg on toast maybe? I found it reduced my morning snacking too.

Your snacks are very carb heavy, maybe replace the cereal bar with a boiled egg or cheese string?

But you're diet is not too bad - I wouldnt worry unless you find yourself hungry all the time or stop losing at a steady pace. Feel free to take a look through my diary, I dont eat very low carb but I try to keep it below 150g (not that I'm successful all the time!!) xx
  • bdtyson77302
    bdtyson77302 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I too am in the red for carbs every day. I don't worry about it anymore. I've lost 40 pounds by only cutting calories. Our bodies need carbs for energy...so just keep moving!! You're doing great!!
  • helaurin
    helaurin Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    As others have already suggested - check the carb/protein ratio on the cereal and the cereal bars, even if it's Weight Watchers brand. I've been having the high-protein version of Special K cereal in the morning, which holds me over for a couple of hours. Do you have Chobani yogurt where you live? That's also got a pretty good carb/protein ratio. And I love a cup of hot chocolate - saw you do too - but watch them, they are sneaky on the carbs as well.

Our trainer (I'm in a work-sponsored program) pretty much recommended everyone try for about 100 grams of protein a day. It looks like your protein levels can stand some upping.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Try logging your food before you eat it - then you can decide if you really want to eat a carb snack or not.
    Plenty of protein or vegetable snacks you can substitute for sugary carbs.

You have quite a sweet tooth I'm guessing!
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hi, it looks like the days you have gone over on your carbs are the days you have gone over on your calories. The others look like you are within the MFP macros. If it is working for you then why do you need to change it. The snacks are usually quite high in carbs but again if you are working them into your daily allowance its OK. You could maybe look over your diary and see if there is anything you can change, more fruit as snacks maybe. Fruit with natural yoghurt and walnuts make a lovely snack. I often add sunflower seed or pumpkin seed to yoghurt as it still then has that bite to it. I do know with me that I can not have chewbars, crisps and sweetie type snacks in as they take over my complete day.

You are doing good, keep it up!
  • srawson82
    Options
    Hi feel free to look at my record I'm under most days.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Less cereal and more vegetables. Substitute some of your starchy vegetables with other types of vegetables (more broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, leafy greens, etc. and less potatoes and corn).
  • sabrajanebrown
    sabrajanebrown Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    1) I eat macarons instead of cookies (they are made with almond flour which is lower in carbs and better on the glycemic index for your blood sugar).
    2) Cut out your table sugar and replace it with Stevia. Go "sugar-free" when you can (sugar free hot chocolate, sugar free cookies made with Splenda, etc.)
    3) Go for other breads that aren't as carb loaded as wheat: tapioca, rice, spelt, millet.

I am almost always VERY under the max carbs for 1200 calories a day. Good luck!
  • sabrajanebrown
    sabrajanebrown Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I forgot to mention. Peas, potatoes, corn, carrots ... all starches that have loads of carbs. Cut down on the starches and have the following instead:
    Broccoli and cauliflower with ranch dressing (sugar free)
    Cucumber slices
    Cherry tomatoes

instead of the biscuts/cookies, perhaps have:
    Apple and almond butter
    Orange and sugar free chocolate (melted in the microwave for a great dip)
    Laduree macarons (my favourite)

Just my suggestions but thanks for listening.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Replace carb foods with protein foods. your protein goal is pretty low, so doing this would not only help you reduce carbs, but increase protein too.

Basically, eat more animal products... eggs, fish, chicken, beef.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Aim for more foods higher in protein and fats, and slightly smaller portions of higher carb foods. Even if it's just a matter of having 3/4 of a cup of potatoes instead of a whole cup, it's going to make a difference.... you don't need to cut them out entirely.