"Skinny fat" and body fat %

Options
HEY GUYS

What are your thoughts on an ideal body fat %?

I'm in pretty classic "skinny fat" shape at the moment, in that my BMI is on the low end of normal (19), but my body fat % is "considered obese" (26)... FML.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/534464-how-much-is-normal-body-fat-percent-for-a-girl/

Anyway, according to this article, the fit range I should be aiming for is 14-21. Does that sound good? What should I be doing to get into that range?

Thanks!

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    For an adult woman (usually considered over the age of 18 years) a normal body fat range is between 20 and 29% so you would not be considered obese.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/252475-ideal-body-fat-for-women/

Female athletes have around 17% bodyfat and a fairly lean person is in the low 20s and an average person in the mid-20s. 14% bf for a female is extremely low.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    For an adult woman (usually considered over the age of 18 years) a normal body fat range is between 20 and 29% so you would not be considered obese.

This. Your body fat percentage isn't obese in the least. It's normal and average.

If you want it lower, look into body re-composition, not just "losing more weight." Your BMI is already low. Losing another 7k isn't going to be the magic bullet. In fact, throw the scale out the window.

Calculate your TDEE ( http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ ) and either eat that number or at least 10-15% below that. Eat nutritious foods getting at least 100g of protein a day. Get regular exercise, including strength training... the heavier the better. Track your progress through how clothes fit, measurements, and progress photos instead of the scale.

I've gained 7-8 pounds in the last year, and I'm smaller than ever. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/758160-reminder-the-scale-does-not-define-you
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Agree with above. Typical "fit" adult woman would be between 19-22 or so. 14% is body competitor/athlete range, very difficult to attain and even harder to maintain. I'm around 18-19%, and I workout 5 days a week (heavy lifting) and watch my calories every single day. It is even hard to maintain even that %. You are not obese, if you want to lower your body fat you just need to measure and watch your calories, and get on a good workout regimen.
  • mrsains
    mrsains Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    In addition to what the other posters have said, check out this little website:

http://paindatabase.com/bodyfat/

It shows a few pictures of what body fat % looks like.
  • ILoveFroggies
    ILoveFroggies Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, really?

Wait, so... Did I misunderstand the article? I'm pretty sure the article's for teenage girls, not young girls, because it explicitly states "Teenage girls tend to have higher body fat percentages than younger children because of the changes in their bodies". I'm a late developer, only stopped growing in height less than a year ago (which means my hip bones and stuff are narrow, they still need to grow out more), so surely the teenage girl article's relevant to me, right... Or is it not? I'm confused.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    How old are you?

Edit: Looked at your profile

At 19, you should be focusing on developing healthy habits for a good life going forward. Exercise (both cardio and resistance training), learn about portion control (that does NOT mean starving yourself and eating nothing, it means having an idea of how many calories you're taking in, and figuring out the rough amount it would take for you to maintain your current weight, gain weight slowly, or lose weight slowly). Figure that out and you'll be way ahead of the game.
  • ILoveFroggies
    Options
    19. But got my first period like 2 years ago, only just stopped growing in height, which means my body structure/bone structure (like, hips and so on) still have a way to go in broadening out to a more womenly structure, right? i.e. I'm a late developer.

Not sure whether that changes anything.

But anyway, just in my opinion, I don't think I look obese at all (I was really surprised to read that in the article, it's the first time I've been described by that word...), so yeah... Maybe I'm borderline/half-way between the teenage girls article and the women article?
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    19. But got my first period like 2 years ago, only just stopped growing in height, which means my body structure/bone structure (like, hips and so on) still have a way to go in broadening out to a more womenly structure, right? i.e. I'm a late developer.

Not sure whether that changes anything.

But anyway, just in my opinion, I don't think I look obese at all (I was really surprised to read that in the article, it's the first time I've been described by that word...), so yeah... Maybe I'm borderline/half-way between the teenage girls article and the women article?

Don't worry about it. When you're still growing all that crap goes out the window. Focus on eating a balanced diet and a reasonable amount of calories. Go to http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html and figure out your TDEE. Try to eat at least that much, you're growing so your energy requirement will be higher, and not getting enough food in can be problematic. Try to eat lots of whole, natural foods to increase the nutrient density of your intake. Eat lots of protein and make sure you get enough fats. Eat your veggies. Even after getting bunches and bunches of that stuff in, you should still have space for the occassional treat from time to time.

Do all of that and exercise, and you'll be fine.
  • ILoveFroggies
    Options
    Oh, thank you so much!! That's so reassuring! :) Glad to know I'm not "considered obese", haha, yay! :) Definitely just going to work on the healthy balanced diet and regular mild to moderate exercise from now on! :)
  • ILoveFroggies
    Options
    Okay, this is so weird...
    I just measured my body fat % again, and now apparently I'm 22%?
    A day later?
    What is going on...
    Are my scales inaccurate? :S
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    A day later?
    What is going on...

Scales are rough guesstimates at BF%. Take it with a grain of salt. They can easily be off by a bunch, just use it as a rough guideline. Try to take your measurements at the same time of day and bear in mind that your menstrual cycle could affect the reading as well.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is an ideal BF%. It would vary based on body type and goals. Hourglass or pear shaped women are usually going to have a higher ideal BF% than others.

Ideal for you would be when you are within the healthy body fat range, like the way you look and feel, and have no medical need to change.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    A day later?
    What is going on...

You were probably retaining water yesterday. Scales often mistake water weight for fat.
  • ILoveFroggies
    Options
    Haha, cheers guys!! So helpful! Thanks for the advice :D
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    RE: Obese

I started at 67% body fat.

The other posts are correct. Your body fat could certainly be safely reduced if you choose to become more fit, but it isn't unhealthy. That is, it isn't so high that it could cause health problems.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Oh, thank you so much!! That's so reassuring! :) Glad to know I'm not "considered obese", haha, yay! :) Definitely just going to work on the healthy balanced diet and regular mild to moderate exercise from now on! :)

That sounds like a fabulous plan! :bigsmile:

Keep it up at your age, and you won't be looking at 67% body fat when you're my age. :laugh: :wink: