Exercise Newbie

Options
Coming up to christmas, I don't really have the money to join a new gym, or the right thermalwear to go running outside.

What exercise do you guys do at home to lose weight?

Replies

• crazy_ninja
    crazy_ninja Posts: 387 Member
    Options
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    www.nerdfitness.com
    www.scoobysworkshop.com

There is also walking, running, biking, Jillian Micheals has tons of stuff on youtube. You choices really are endless. I run, bike, and then do the beginner workouts at the above websites. No need for a gym membership, IMHO.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    If you do a moderate amount of exercise in 30 minutes, you'll burn 250-300 calories if you're lucky. A really brutal workout you'll burn 500-550. It would be extremely tough to burn more than that in 30 minutes. Now how long does it take to eat say 600 calories? I don't know about you but I can house a large burger and fries with a soda in well under 10 minutes.

Your diet is first and foremost when targetting weight loss.

For exercise it would be wise to get a healthy mix of resistance training and cardio. If you don't have the ability to go outside for cardio, you can do calisthenics that get your heart rate up. Jump rope, jumping jacks, step ups/box jumps (if you do jumps make sure you step down not jump, it's much safer that way), burpees or squat thrusts, mountain climbers, etc are all decent options. For resistance training if you don't have equipment, try to get good at some basic movements for pressing, pulling, and leg work. Pushups and dips are good pressing exercises that only need bodyweight and a sturdy chair (for dips). Inverted rows and pullups/chinups are great pulling exercises (most people have to build up to pullups, if you--like me--can't do them yet working up to it is a great idea). Squats, or the 1-legged version pistol squats, and lunges are great leg exercises.

If you work on those resistance exercises and get some cardio in while working on your diet, you'll be in good shape.
  • rohitvgfit
    rohitvgfit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try Yoga. Lots of self help Yog instructions available online.