TOM - sure this comes up again and again but....

Options
I think I have read that you expect to see some weight gain at TOM - mainly due to water retention - but how much should I see and how long will it last - just worried it will through off my next weigh in!

I got on the scales this morning as I was feeling a bit bloated and I know I am due on in the next day or so.... the pain.... and I had put on about 3lbs I know that weight goes up and down but I just wanted to know other peoples experience

Replies

• mlove1307
    Options
    I go up three to five pounds the week before and usually start losing it the second, third, fourth day of my period.. ISH.. Lol every month is different but thats what I can expect!
  • 2bskinnyagain1978
    Options
    I gain about 3 to 5 sometimes more depending on how bloated I get.. but it goes away like a few days after I get my little friend.. I take some over the counter water pills for the blaoting and drink tons of water and it is good after the first day or so I go back down.. good luck :)
  • Ashia1317
    Options
    Best advice I ever got from a friend: "don't weigh yourself until after your period ends"

I notice a 3 - 5lb gain the week before and a few days during. It's a little discouraging so now I'm trying my friend's advice.
  • jbunzsno
    jbunzsno Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yes I dread that time of the month for that reason. The bloating, the cravings, etc. But to answer your question, I usually gain 3-5 pounds within 3-5 days before it starts and then once it starts the weight comes off a few days later. Don't worry or stress about it, just keep drinking water and excercising and stayin away from the scale for awhile :bigsmile:
  • stacyoct19
    stacyoct19 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i don't way when TOM decides to visit. when he's gone, i wait until my regular scheduled weigh-in day (Tuesdays) to hop on the scale. I tried this last month and I had a 3 lb loss.

a trainer once told me that a common mistake women make is weighing too frequently. it adds stress and worry about losing the weight. stress can defeat your purpose of losing weight. :)
  • panther87
    panther87 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Weight gain is inevitable during this time. But i have found that drinking extra water the week before and during does help and keep eating well. Try to avoid the salty things and Just keep on doing the right things. I have been actively losing weight for 2.5 months and have really found that after some weight loss, my PMS is really better than before. Good luck to you, and keep up the good work.
  • Ashia1317
    Options

a trainer once told me that a common mistake women make is weighing too frequently. it adds stress and worry about losing the weight. stress can defeat your purpose of losing weight. :)

I have heard the same thing. I think I tend to agree. I try to keep it to one day a week (Fridays) at the same time every time. It leaves me a little less discouraged. That way, during the week I can focus on my habits and routines instead of just the weight.
  • veggieheadie
    Options
    I always gain around five pounds before my period, but a day or so after it ends, I've lost that five pounds.
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    I'm glad this was posted! I'm on a team that weighs in every Wednesday. I have been following a good diet and exercising everyday and have gained weight. I feel better but was a little bummed this morning on the scale. Maybe I'm gaining m TOM weight because I start next week. I will weigh again after my period ends. *Please, please, please, let this just be water weight*
  • SASSYJAX
    SASSYJAX Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    ahaaa maybe thats why i havent lost this week, I am the same and TOM is coming any day!!!
    well, lets hope so....that has cheered me up!
  • tvaye10
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you and was wondering the same thing. I think I will use the advice that someone gave to not weigh in until after Mother Nature visits. Good luck!
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    That makes me feel a little better about my weigh in yesterday at work for biggest loser. I gained only 4 ounces but still I was bummed because I expected a lighter weigh in but yesterday was the second day of my "flow". I wasn't sure if weight gain occured a few days before or DURING. I heard that during your weight should be normal. Maybe I will just see how it plays out next week.
    5010 Posts: 59
    Options
    it is sooooo unfair for us women
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I am one of those that weighs in most days. I don't mind when the scale goes up a few (never more than 2-3 though) cause i love when it all comes back off. I watch sodium closer and up up up my water. Since cutting out a load of carbs, empty calories and junk, my PMS is SOOO much more manageable.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    At my Monday weigh-in, I showed a two and a half pound gain. :(

So I'm pretty much just avoiding the scale until my time of the month is OVER. And drinking lots of water.
  • sld63
    sld63 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am one of those that weighs in most days. I don't mind when the scale goes up a few (never more than 2-3 though) cause i love when it all comes back off. I watch sodium closer and up up up my water. Since cutting out a load of carbs, empty calories and junk, my PMS is SOOO much more manageable.

Ditto! This is me too...
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    This one of those things where everyonr is different. I start to bloat 3-5 days before my period. I usually gain anywhere between 2-5 pounds, but by about the second day of my period the weight is gone. Usually if I weigh a week before my period my weight is up, but I can way during and the weight be down.