Struggling to meet minimum daily caloric needs

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    some of these posts are seriously annoying. ” just eat more you didn't have a problem eating before you came on the site” no kidding but I'm eating healthier now so the calories don't add up anymore. I use to eat bacon cheeseburgers from Fridays and that alone was 1200 calories. not to mention the fries and appetizer

For real.. :flowerforyou:
  • Murf1968
    Murf1968 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    some of these posts are seriously annoying. ” just eat more you didn't have a problem eating before you came on the site” no kidding but I'm eating healthier now so the calories don't add up anymore. I use to eat bacon cheeseburgers from Fridays and that alone was 1200 calories. not to mention the fries and appetizer
    Excellent post :happy:
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    What were you eating when you were putting on weight?
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I hate when people assume because your overweight that you over eat. I think I've undereaten a majority of my life and yet I'm still overweight.

Before fitness pal, I didn't move as much, and I certainly didn't eat as much. I've doubled what I was eating in the past and its just now that I'm seeing pounds being shed. With tracking my foods here on MFP I could see that I was only getting 700 to 1000 calories per day at the most!

Now that I've started tracking and started moving my body, I'm developing a hunger and a thirst that I've not experienced before.

Like others have suggested, for meals and snacks, I typically end up adding almonds, walnuts, avocado, olive or coconut oil and cheese.

I'm surprised that most days I do feel hungry now and its such a foreign feeling.

Good luck!

getting overweight on 700-1,000 calories. Thats a joke. I don't think you were honest with yourself on how much you ate,
    You would be slowly losing if you ate 700 and no exercise... or your bodies metabolism might slow down. But you wouldn't be gaining much at all.

I'm just admitting that it took overeating calories for me to gain weight in the first place, thats why I'm here. That's why 85% of us are here (Some might be here to gain weight for body building)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Before MFP, I suppose you were eating way more, right? So, why is it now so hard. I just don't understand these posts. I see them everyday, and I can't tell if they are genuine, or some kind of strange self-fulfilling prophecy. It is very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very easy to eat 1200 calories a day. So, easy that its hard to stay under that. I don't get it. Truly. I'm not being a smart butt. I seriously think these posts are a joke.
  • Coalforchristmas
    Options

Yeah no kidding. A lot of people just ate tons of garbage to put on weight. I know I did. When people are saying "well you ate enough to get fat didn't you?" they forget that people eat things like oreos and cake that are real easy to eat a lot of.
  • RockyColorado
    Options
    Thanks to you and some others who understand my situation. I am focused on today and tomorrow
    the past.
  • JanNg2012
    Options
    I suggest that you can eat some nuts rather than unhealthy snacks when you are craving for snacks.
    It works for me when I start to be starving after my meals and the most important thing is that an appropriate amount of nuts is good for our health.
    Fruits are good options too!

Besides that, you can have oatmeal when you are hungry.I have Quaker instant oatmeal as my lunch these days and I feel satisfied after having a bowl of it.It only has 129kcals every bowl (35g) according to the nutrition facts on its package.
  • TheeGeeMarie
    TheeGeeMarie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I hate when people assume because your overweight that you over eat. I think I've undereaten a majority of my life and yet I'm still overweight.

Before fitness pal, I didn't move as much, and I certainly didn't eat as much. I've doubled what I was eating in the past and its just now that I'm seeing pounds being shed. With tracking my foods here on MFP I could see that I was only getting 700 to 1000 calories per day at the most!

Now that I've started tracking and started moving my body, I'm developing a hunger and a thirst that I've not experienced before.

Like others have suggested, for meals and snacks, I typically end up adding almonds, walnuts, avocado, olive or coconut oil and cheese.

I'm surprised that most days I do feel hungry now and its such a foreign feeling.

Good luck!

Cherubums brings up a good point about feeling hungry. Your body learns your patterns and tells you you're hungry accordingly. There was a few years where I was living off coffee and one or two meals a day and my body got used to not being fed, so I wasn't ever very hungry. When I decided to get serious about getting back in shape one of the first thing I did was start eating 5-6 meals a day and being diligent about feeding myself. I know a lot of people will argue that you shouldn't eat unless you're hungry, but if you're shooting for a healthy calorie goal your body isn't used to, you might have to train it a little. My trainer came up with a really specific diet for me to follow the first few weeks (all good, clean foods). I told him I couldn't eat that much and he told me to suck it up and do it. At first I felt like I was stuffing myself and I wasn't at all hungry at mealtimes. I did what I was told though, and a few weeks in, my body realized I was feeding it a little something every three hours and I started to be hungry when it was time to eat.
  • jvdx
    jvdx Posts: 57
    Options
    high calorie shakes. add in fruit, icecream, oats, peanut butter, what ever.
    my post workout shake is 820calories from just milk, protein powder and some oatmeal.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It's because people become almost phobic about "unclean" foods... they don't have the perspective to realize that they don't have to live on what they've been conditioned to believe are "clean" foods.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options

Yeah no kidding. A lot of people just ate tons of garbage to put on weight. I know I did. When people are saying "well you ate enough to get fat didn't you?" they forget that people eat things like oreos and cake that are real easy to eat a lot of.

^^^agreed! I find it also more difficult to eat enough calories. For one, my stomach has shrunk because of smaller portions, and secondly I used to eat a buttload of junk which equals a ton of calories! I don't like nuts or avacados, so adding those to meals don't work for me. As a HELPFUL suggestion, I have found that if I increase my portions slightly, it helps add calories.
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Start eating high-calorie healthy foods, I had this problem as well- I also wasn't hitting my fats for the day.

I started adding in sliced almonds to my salads or cottage cheese each day, most nuts are high calorie and contain good fats. Also, avocado is a good one. Find a good recipe for homemade guacamole and put that on salads instead of dressing, or put it on a piece of grilled chicken/fish with salsa for a mexican vibe. Peanut butter can be a good one, slice up an apple/pear and pair it with some peanut butter for a good snack.

this!
    I try to add almonds, avocado to everyday things i already eat
  • NickiRae04
    NickiRae04 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is eat every 2-3 hours even if you do not feel hungry! This is what I do. Do not be afraid of calories, Eat eat eat! Make sure you are working out as well!

I eat an egg sandwich with 3 turkey links for breakfast
    Banana with peanut butter for a snack
    lunch is usually turkey sandwich with avocado, cheese, cucumber etc and an apple
    Another snack usually 100-200 calories
    Workout - then recovery shake 250-300 calories
    Dinner 500+ calories
    Snack (if I have calories left over)

I usually net 1300-1500 calories a day but I am eating over 1500 everyday. My Weight loss goal is 1584 Calories. I have lost 13 pounds so far and I work out 6 days a week.

Feel free to ad me.

Good Luck
    ♥Nicki Rae♥

MY BLOG: www.nickisfitnessjourney.com
    FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/NickisFitnessJourney
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/NickiRae04
    YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/user/NickiRae04?feature=mhee
  • xProjectxShapeshiftx
    Options
    be careful of developing an eating disorder. ive had eating disorder issues for 13 years and now im at a point where i wont consume more than 150 calories. its a slippery slope. do all you can to meet your caloric needs---even if your not hungry---and be sure to eat your excercise calories as well!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    For me, it's a matter of meal planning.

Fill out your diary early in the day, or the day before, and eat what you've planned to eat. A little bit more at breakfast, a little more at lunch, a little more at dinner, and some healthy - or even not so healthy, because everything doesn't have to be perfect - snacks thrown in between meals, and you're there. Don't wait until the end of the day and try to play catch-up.

Use your macro settings as your guide to where you need to add more. Low on fat, add some olive oil or cheese. Low on protein, have a slightly larger serving of whatever protein you're eating (ie, 6 ounces of chicken instead of 4) or add a protein bar or shake. Low on carbs? Have whatever you want.

Don't be afraid of higher calorie options. Don't automatically go for the fat-free dressings, milk, cheese, etc. If you're eating Lean Cuisine type frozen dinners, add a little something extra. (I usually add a sprinkle of cheese to pasta, some rice noodles to Oriental dishes, a couple tortilla chips to Mexi-flavored meals, etc.)

Or in short (too late!), adding 50-100 calories here and there is a lot easier than trying to add on a bunch of calories at the end of the day.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    just plan meals ahead.

add in things like butter, peanut butter, whole milk, olive oil, etc.

eating enough shouldn't be too difficult, 2600 cals isn't a lot.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    Before MFP, I suppose you were eating way more, right? So, why is it now so hard. I just don't understand these posts. I see them everyday, and I can't tell if they are genuine, or some kind of strange self-fulfilling prophecy. It is very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very easy to eat 1200 calories a day. So, easy that its hard to stay under that. I don't get it. Truly. I'm not being a smart butt. I seriously think these posts are a joke.

Then let me help you understand...you gain weight eating junk. You can eat a greasy cheeseburger that has 900 calories and 44g of fat or you can eat 6 oz of boneless, skinless chicken breast that has 240 calories and 3g of fat. Both meals will fill you up so you you can't eat anymore. One will pile on the pounds and the other will not. You can eat poorly or you can eat healthy while still eating the same volume of food but if you make better choices you will eat much less total calories by the end of the day. So, while you're eating regular meals/snacks and feeling full, you still haven't reached your calorie goal because you're now eating more healthfully. Eating healthy and making better choices (knowing which foods will give you the nutrition - calories/protein/carbs/fats - your body needs without over/under - eating) takes time to figure out.

"Eat more calories" is over simplifying the process. It isn't as easy as that. Everyone can eat calories. The trick is to find the right combination that is healthy for your body but won't fill you up to the point that you can't eat your calorie/nutrition goal.
  • lmoore1006
    lmoore1006 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ...I am eating 3 meals a day, 300-500 calories a meal....Also eating snacks when the urge comes to me
    With my weight 195.5 here is what I "should" be consuming each day:smile: ...
    Maintenance 2619
    Fat Loss 2095
    Extreme Fat Loss 1571

I'd suggest eating doubling the # of times you eat and then look to adjusting what you eat when you do I. I eat what I consider 3 meals a day and then 3 snacks but the caloric value of each is about the same.

Below is an example with tasty foods as well as eating outside the home. I'm usually not starving but don't realize I'm hungry until I start eating. I think that's just the way we are...we don't realize we are even hungry until we past the point of being hungry:

Breakfast
    Bunny Healthy Life - 100% Whole Wheat Whole Grain Bread, 1 slices 35
    Great Value (Wal-Mart) - 100% Liquid Egg Whites (Made From Eggs), 6.6 tablespoons (46 g) 55
    Great Value - Sliced Sharp Cheddar Cheese, 0.5 slice 40
    Aldi - Deli Premium Hard Salami 28 g , 9.24 g- 3 slices 40
    Grapes - Red & Green (Fresh Seedless) , 1 cup (151g) 104
    Cal: 274
    Snack 1
    Chobani - Blueberry Greek Yogurt, 6 oz 140 20
    Mcdonalds - Fruit and Maple Oatmeal, 251 g 290
    Cal: 430

Lunch
    Chicken Taco's (homemade with 2.5 lbs chicken breast and 1 16ounce can of salsa, slow-cooked in a crock pot) , 1 serving 215
    La Tortilla Factory - Smart & Delicious Low Carb/High Fiber 7" Net Carbs, 2 tortilla 100
    Cal: 315

Snack 2
    Millville Fiber Now - Chewy Chocolate Bar 90 Calories, 1 bar 90
    Aldi Millville - Fiber Now Chewy Bars Oats & Strawberry With Almonds, 1 bar 130
    Cal: 220

Dinner
    Papa Murphy's - Large Size Original Crust Pepperoni Pizza, 2 slice (1/10th of the Pizza, 106g) 558
    Cal: 558

Snack 3
    Great Value - Organic Fat Free Milk, 1.1 cup 88
    Millville Fiber Now - Chewy Chocolate Bar 90 Calories, 1 bar 90
    Cal: 178

Total Calories for the day: 1975
  • jvdx
    jvdx Posts: 57
    Options

Then let me help you understand...you gain weight eating junk. You can eat a greasy cheeseburger that has 900 calories and 44g of fat or you can eat 6 oz of boneless, skinless chicken breast that has 240 calories and 3g of fat. Both meals will fill you up so you you can't eat anymore. One will pile on the pounds and the other will not. You can eat poorly or you can eat healthy while still eating the same volume of food but if you make better choices you will eat much less total calories by the end of the day. So, while you're eating regular meals/snacks and feeling full, you still haven't reached your calorie goal because you're now eating more healthfully. Eating healthy and making better choices (knowing which foods will give you the nutrition - calories/protein/carbs/fats - your body needs without over/under - eating) takes time to figure out.

"Eat more calories" is over simplifying the process. It isn't as easy as that. Everyone can eat calories. The trick is to find the right combination that is healthy for your body but won't fill you up to the point that you can't eat your calorie/nutrition goal.

this post is so full of **** its not even funny. eating high fats makes you put on weight/fat, and eating low fat foods doesnt?
    the amount of calories is not even being taken into consideration?
    if you truly believe that eating fat makes you fat, please remove yourself from these boards, and stop giving 'advice' to people because clearly you have no clue about what you talk about.