News anchor called 'fat' and responds with class :)

Options

Replies

• banshishi
    banshishi Posts: 197
    Options
    I wouldn't have termed what he wrote as bullying, pointless... yes, annoying... yes, bullying well..not particularly...is he a sad muppet..absolutely!

seems that on one hand we have been told that ultra slim models/actors etc, are partly responsible for the increase in eating disorders because we all apparently strive to look like them..(yeah right of course we do ) and yet as soon as someone that isn't the perfect size 0 is in the limelight she is declared a bad influence...sheer stupidity. We come in all shapes and sizes and varieties most species do...wish people would just accept that and mind their own business.

Grand for her for having the confidence to tell him to shove it!
  • jothekid
    jothekid Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    You could have just posted a link to any of the other 4-5 threads on this same thing today

Well sooorry but didn't see the other threads on it...not always on here! And if you saw it 4-5 times already today, why did you come here? :laugh:
  • sbernardy
    sbernardy Posts: 188
    Options
    bump
  • NoExcusesAllProgress
    Options
    I have nothing but respect for this woman. Shes got more heart than most people can claim and she has my support. She has the ability to lose weight, that jerk who wrote the letter will always be an *kitten*. (Excuse my language please)
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I don't think she was abused, he didn't call her names or threaten her in anyway. She seemed angry that he noticed that she was fat and she is. And I think he sent her an email......she is the one that went public with it.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I may catch some heat for saying this....But I am really getting tired of the word "Bully" It's used WAY too often...

His email IMHO was not bullying. He stated his opinion respectfully. Although I do not agree with what he said....but it was not bullying.
    Thank you
  • jothekid
    jothekid Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm not calling the guy a bully and maybe I didn't choose my words well when I said 'verbal abuse' cause it's not....it was just an unecessary and stupid thing to do and I don't blame the lady for answering back on air
  • KatGalr
    KatGalr Posts: 66
    Options
    She's from my state so it was all over our local news last night. She's awesome! :) I wanted to jump through the TV and give her a hug!

Same here! Proud to be from Wisconsin! :) She did amazing, I couldn't say that live on air
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    It is probably from her husband
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Well, she is fat.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    20080202231407!Beating-a-dead-horse.gif
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I may catch some heat for saying this....But I am really getting tired of the word "Bully" It's used WAY too often...

His email IMHO was not bullying. He stated his opinion respectfully. Although I do not agree with what he said....but it was not bullying.
    I agree with ----^ Not a bully more like a d*ck.
  • aohara2001
    Options

This.
  • fitnessyeoja
    fitnessyeoja Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Here's his FOLLOW-UP RESPONSE after all the media attention.
    http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/national_world&id=8835044

"Kenneth Krause stood by his statements and was apparently unmoved by the response. He declined an invitation to appear on the television station, and then issued the following statement.

"Given this country's present epidemic of obesity and the many truly horrible diseases related thereto, and considering Jennifer Livingston's fortuitous position in the community, I hope she'll finally take advantage of a rare and golden opportunity to influence the health and psychological well-being of Coulee region children by transforming herself for all of her viewers to see over the next year," he wrote. "And to that end, I would be absolutely pleased to offer her any advice or support she would be willing to accept."

That last sentence he says I think summarizes his state of mind. He clearly is insensitive and that final statement sounds like a final dig. Despite hearing Jennifer's personal situation (thyroid condition; she IS active, etc.), he doesn't truly care. He has zoned in on the fact that she still LOOKS fat and that appearance disgusts HIM and HE"S got to have it HIS way, because he is after all Master of the Universe. Interestingly, he declines to appears to on TV. He doesn't think we can handle seeing his perfect body.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Non story made into something way bigger than it was. Typical journalistic behavior.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Ya, we've seen it.
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Don't think for a second the network didn't know what they were doing with this. Her response was crafted in advance. From what I read I thought a man called in and called her fat and she responded live. Not so.
  • v3x1m2
    v3x1m2 Posts: 10
    Options
    Wow, she's amazing. I've notice a lot of people defending the man, and i think this points to this narrative of fatphobia as the last
    accepted form of discrimination. There's so much wrong with that man's email. 1) the misogyny, i wonder if he would've felt compelled enough to write to a male news anchor about his weight the same way he felt compelled and moved by an unsolicited moral imperative to offer back-handed advice to a complete stranger. Men are never scrutinized the way women are, and his 'hey fat lady, why don't u go hide and come back when you're thin enough' narrative is disturbing. 2) the disingenuous 'health' argument fatphobic people employ is facepalm worthy when the truth is a lot of people just don't like seeing fat people around, and would like them to disappear. 3) This idea that fat=unhealthy, skinny=healthy paradigm is incorrect and one can be fat and healthy, and there are plenty of skinny folk who do not exercise, partake in healthy diets, but society doesn't put them on trial because they fit a particular standard. 4) the audacity of a complete stranger to think he has a right to police the body of others, and offer it as helpful advice, as if the news anchor didn't already know she was fat. He knows nothing of her history, and admitted to hardly watching the show, yet felt so moved to fight on behalf of the innocent children of america who might see that woman and think , 'wow i wanna be fat too'…..i think she handled him well, and taught us an important lesson that bullying, discrimination, misogyny can also clothed in passive aggressive rhetoric…If folks are really concerned about the obesity epidemic, how about we start addressing systematic issues like America's food culture, obsession with cars over public transportation, economic inequalities (there's a reason why European countries look the way they do, and it has nothing to do with their population valuing self control or valuing exercise)….Lastly, what about the mental health of fat people? why the fake indignation regarding their physical health but lack of concern for their mental? because we all know how much shaming and abuse can do wonders and encourage an individual to start a healthy lifestyle. smh...
  • judsywudsy
    judsywudsy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of persons responding that the guy wasn't a bully. I am gonna say he was. he stated that she should change something , that's was a forceful gesture. He doesn't like it and therefore she should change it. There are different levels of bullying and different ways of bullying. Whereas how we handle it depends on us. We cannot discredit that he attempted to bully her in leaving her job or change her weight.

Additionally , i don't think her making it public was so much as "louding up" in Jamaican terms this man but to also show fellow "fat" persons what she has to deal with and basically offering advice and support to others in standing up for themselves and try not to be affected by the opinions of others.

I grew up being called fat my entire life, i remember in high school i was called "Supercow". I had a thicker skin and it still affected me. Kids nowadays are feeble, thin-skinned and are affected by the simplest of things. I think this was just her way of reaching out to others who may be affected by such statements. By the way, i think she in herself was affected by his statement, you can hear it in her voice.

We can't change the opinions of others but we can attempt to reduce the effect it has on others by supporting each other.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    You could have just posted a link to any of the other 4-5 threads on this same thing today