TDEE BMR? Wut?

Options
Arexxx
Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
Which one do I go by?
Do I deduct calories from my BMR or my TDEE to make a deficit?
I just calculated both (previously only used mfp goal of losing 2 pounds per week) and my TDEE seems really high.. like 2000 calories a day. Am I meant to eat that or...? :huh:

It's just that I'm increasing my calories from the recommended 2 pound weight loss regime MFP set up (1350 cals a day) to something a bit easier to follow. But now I have no idea how much to increase my calories by..

if this makes no sense I apologize. I have a fever and am exhausted :c

Replies

• Whart0603
    Whart0603 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    BMR is what your body would burn, calorie wise, if you were in a coma. So energy needed for normal bodily activity. (ie. breathing, pumping blood, etc.) TDEE is your daily expenditure. So in addition to your BMR, walking, lifting, anything extra your body needs energy for. You want to base your calorie deficit off of TDEE. So at a 2000 calorie TDEE, minus 20% would be 1600 calories. If you were to eat 1600 calories a day, you would lose weight just fine.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    by joejvcca71 in this thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/510406-tdee-is-everything

1. BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate): This is the amount of calories you need to consume to maintain your body if you were comatose (base level).

2. NEAT (Non-Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): The calorie of daily activity that is NOT exercise (eg: washing, walking, talking, shopping, working). ie: INCIDENTAL EXERCISE! It is something that everyone has a good amount of control over & it is the MOST important factor in your energy expenditure. It is what helps keep 'constitutionally lean' people LEAN (they fidget)!

3. EAT (Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): The calorie requirements associated with planned exercise. Unless someone is doing a whole heap of exercise (eg: two or more hrs training a day) it usually doesn't add a stack of calories to your requirements (30 minutes of 'elliptical training isn't going to do it')

4. TEF (Thermic effect of feeding): The calorie expenditure associated with eating. REGARDLESS of what myths you have been told - this is NOT dependent on MEAL FREQUENCY. It is a % of TOTAL CALORIES CONSUMED (and 15% of 3 x 600 cal meals is the same as 15% of 6 x 300 cal meals). It varies according to MACRONUTRIENT content and FIBER content. For most mixed diets, it is something around 15%. Protein is higher (up to 25%), carbs are variable (between 5-25%), and fats are low (usually less than 5%). So -> More protein and more carbs and more fiber = HIGHER TEF. More FAT = LOWER TEF.

5. TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expedenture): Total calories burned. BMR + NEAT + EAT + TEF = TDEE

Most people should either

1) use MPF, follow MFP, and stop thinking they are smarter than MFP
    or
    2) use TDEE as the basis for their daily goal... calculate TDEE, subtract 15ish% and go from there.
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)

So I think I'll subtract 20% from my TDEE and see how that goes.