Veggie Haters, how do you get your veggies in?

Options

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Anything I cook in a skillet or frying pan I add a cup of chopped spinach leaves to. Spinach has no real taste once it's cooked and takes on the taste properties of whatever it was cooked in.

I make a homemade pasta sauce from spinach leaves, mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic, and olives sauteed in coconut oil that I use regularly.
  • Morgaan12
    Options
    Look up some green smoothie recipes. That's what I've been doing! Most recipes just call for a couple hand fulls of baby spinach or lettuce/celery. Then you pair it will a couple fruits like bananas and strawberries. It looks awful! But don't let that scare you away! You can't taste the vegetables. It just tastes like a banana-strawberry smoothie! You can find all different recipes out there!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Sauces and marinades, and having them with pasta or rice. IE, last night I had ravioli and chicken with a pesto alfredo sauce, and some sundried tomatoes and "Italian blend" (carrots, broccoli, snow peas, squash, I think) frozen vegetables mixed in. The veg taste like the sauce. And it makes me eat less of the pasta or rice, since it bulks up my meal.
  • dearprudence78
    Options
    You may need to find the preparation that you like best. Certain veggies I like raw but can't stand cooked and vice versa. Experiment. Another tip for my when feeding DH who has the same distaste of veggies - I hide them in stuff.
    Make roll-ups.
    Take one slice of lunch meat, put a small amount of 1/3 less fat cream cheese on one edge (just enough to "glue" it closed), on the opposite end, lay down a few leaves of fresh spinach. Then lay one green onion (tops cut off) and a piece of celery on top of the spinach. Start on the veggie end and roll all the way and gently press the cream cheese to keep it closed. I always cut the veggies to the length of the meat so there isn't a big hunk of onion hanging out for the first or last bite.
    Make baked oatmeal.
    Mix 240 grams of old fashioned oats with cinnamon and/or nutmeg, and the sweetener of your choice (or not). Add a pinch of salt. Mash one banana in a separate bowl and add a teaspoon of vanilla. Then blend in two eggs. Add 1/2 cup of canned pumpkin puree. Next (and here's the fun part), add in a cup of shredded carrots blended to a near mush with a blender. Blend the wet ingredients into the oat mixture. You can add died apples or some raisins for extra fiber and sweetness if you like. Now add enough water to make the batter like a very moist porridge. (Add a little at a time and mix well). Pour into a 9 x 13 pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. I've served this for breakfast, for snacks and even as a dessert with some Cool Whip Free on top.
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I personaly love most all food, however my family does not so.... I put whatever veggies I have in the food processor and blend it till its very fine - now strong flavors wont work like green peppers. I mix it into hamburger patties, meatloaf, meatballs, sauces, soups. Heck I made cupcakes the other day and use pumpkin puree and the kids had no clue - they loved them! There are pleanty of books / websites that give you ideas of how to sneak it into recipies. Since I'm assuming your cooking you will know its there but shouldn't be able to really taste it. Good luck, I love to see what I can trick my family into eating and only after they say they LOVE it do I tell them - or sometimes NOT.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I don't really hate veggies anymore. But having seasonings, sauces, and marinades help a lot!
  • mconway79
    mconway79 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    my fave trick: get a veggie peeler and make zucchini strips that you mix in with pasta - I add the zucchini into the pot for the last 2-3 minutes of boiling the noodles. Drain and add marinara. You can start off using more pasta and less zucchini and gradually increase the zucchini and decrease the pasta. I did this and my husband didn't even notice for a while and by then, he realized that it wasn't bad! Now we eat zucchini marinara - no pasta at all - as a side dish with a lean protein and he doesn't miss the pasta.

And as many others have said... blend then in to sauces, soups and anything else... it's ok to start small and work your way up to adding more.

Jenjoe how long does it take the zucchini to cook? I would like to try this. I am also going to bake spaghetti squash and try it with my spaghetti sauce I make with jennie o 93% lean ground turkey
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Sack up and eat them...........No, seriously.

Yes, this. You say it's not the taste that gets you but it's some mental thing. Well, just eating it will help you get over it.

---
    I don't eat anything from Italy, definitely a mental thing, perhaps I should try my own advice ;)
  • MaleyaB
    MaleyaB Posts: 25
    Options
    I am not a veggie person (seriously, just look at my diary). Sometimes we eat raw vegetables or frozen broccoli (they come in a steamed bag so all you have to do it microwave!) But recently, I found that zucchini is amazing in moderation. I usually peel them, and then I grill them in my little George Foreman. I add on .5 teaspoon of McCormick Grilling Mates (invest in this- it has so much flavor and can be added to anything to make it edible- plus they have many flavors. I highly recommend the Montreal Steak Seasoning). And then I serve.

Also, there is a recipe for Zucchini Fries, which I tried and were pretty good.
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/01/baked-zucchini-sticks-13-pts.html
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Make these- http://yourlighterside.com/caulitots-baked/

Then make this recipe with them -http://yourlighterside.com/chili-cheese-tots/

You will never taste the cauliflower and you will get your veggies:) It is awesome with some pickled jalapenos on top!

I am a total veggie LOVER but totally trying this. OMG.
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    I don't like most veggies OR meat (I would live off pasta and rice if I could), so I just mix them all together a lot with different marinades, seasonings, etc. For some reason, that helps. :laugh:
  • hawaii86442
    Options
    Yes--if a vitamix is used everything tastes better and you can truly disguise the veggie,

I also cook the veggies in the oven with a bit of olive oil and garlic and use veggies like green beans, okra,and carrots as snacks.
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Stirfry the vegetables with some chicken or other meat product.

Or sautee them in something like garlic.
  • demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    oh! my boyfriend hates veggies.
    however i cut them SUPER small.. a lot of the time i cut zucchini, squash, and mushrooms. fry them up on the stove and add a little teriyaki type sauce!
  • ealmy
    ealmy Posts: 17
    Options
    Sack up and eat them...........No, seriously.

This.
  • pipjiggles
    Options
    Bump, I'm in the same boat!
  • angel_eyes17
    angel_eyes17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    fruit and veggie smoothie. I mix and match whatever I have on hand. Shredded broccoli, kale, shredded carrots, chopped up cauliflower, cucumber, apple, pear strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, kiwi... and almond milk and a sprinkle of cinnamon. I usually add 2 - 3 veggies and 2 - 3 fruits.
  • LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    Options
    I like to roast 'em. It makes them crispy on the outside, soft on the inside & texture is akin to something bbq'd. :)

Recipes:
    cut up carrots, sweet potatoes, parsnips <---- DEF! they're sooo good!, turnips into 3 x 1 inch long sticks. Spray on cooking oil or canola "butter" and add a little salt, cinnamon and a little honey & roast them. They are seriously like candy.

Roasted brussel sprouts w/ a little butter, s & p are great. Throw on a tablespoon of feta - yum.

Chopped cauliflower, tomatoes, garlic & Zucchini - spray w/ an olive oil cooking spray, add salt & italian seasoning. You can eat them as a side dish, eat w/ marinara.

Also, kabobs are a nice way to get in the veggies - chicken w/ onions, tomatoes, broccoli broiled in the oven w/ bbq sauce.
  • LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    Options
    fruit and veggie smoothie. I mix and match whatever I have on hand. Shredded broccoli, kale, shredded carrots, chopped up cauliflower, cucumber, apple, pear strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, kiwi... and almond milk and a sprinkle of cinnamon. I usually add 2 - 3 veggies and 2 - 3 fruits.

This is interesting! How does cauliflower in a smoothie taste?
  • heidimaggott78
    Options
    I hide them. In stews, lasagne, pasta sauces. I put purees in baked goods, in eggy bread (french toast) and even in porridge. You can add the sweeter ones like carrots to smoothies.