C-section Belly's

Options
Two years ago I had a c-section. Now I was big when i got pregnant (well huge actually) and then managed to pack on 80+ pounds with my twins. Now my problem is since then my fat gut has managed to develop this disgusting flap.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions how to firm that area up. There seems to be no tone there (not that there was every much) but I do seem to remember it not being saggy prepregnancy!

Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks, Liz

Replies

• sharonlewis
    sharonlewis Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of the same problem, my sister inlaws is way worse and she asked the doctor about it and he said the only way to completely get rid of it is to have it removed.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Are you at goal weight now and have this or do you still have a way to go? If you still have weight to lose, you will have to work out very hard and watch what you eat. If you are at goal weight, this unfortunately is stretched skin and short of surgery, there is nothing you can do.
  • weaverc
    weaverc Posts: 158
    Options
    I have had two c-sections myself and only gained about 30lbs with each pregnancy. I also have the very attractive flappy thing. I think some of my flappy thing is from the internal scar tissue from the surgery. I asked my OB how to get rid of the flap and it seems a tummy tuck is the only way. Some abdominal exercises and lots of cardio help, but in my case, my skin stretched and didn't go back so well. No amount of exercise is going to fix the skin.
  • tansyf
    tansyf Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've had four C-Sections!!! I know very bad :-/ and short of having a tummy tuck, I reallt don't think I will be able to get rid of my baby tummy....................thank God for magic knickers is all I can say ;-) xxxx
  • pz5wjj
    pz5wjj Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've had too c-sections too -- my last was 5 1/2 years ago. Even after I got rid of all my pregnancy weight and more (which has creeped back up again) I had that nice little muffin top. And still do.

I really don't think there is anyway to rid it all. My sister who is SUPER FIT and has hardly any body fat has had 3 babies naturally and she still has a nice little flab there she can't completely get rid of either. But, she has managed to keep toned and it is a bit flabby, but not so badly that she can't wear a bikini.

The only thing to do is keep working out, managing your diet and then learn to either embrace your muffin top as something you earned or have a tummy tuck! :tongue:
  • EmilyStrick
    Options
    i have had one c-section, and my doc gave me a postpartum wrap afterwards and said to keep it on real tight all the time for a few weeks to keep all the jiggly bits in place during healing. i did, and although it's not exactly the same as before, i don't have the "flap" i have seen on some of my friends. i realize this is quite after the fact, but maybe something like that would work if you ALWAYS wear one while you exercise...maybe it would hold everything where it should go and will end up firming up that way. worth a try...you never know!! they make some specifically for weight loss (not sure if they really help for that) and i have seen one in the bliss catalog that looks comfy...it's a pull-on and it's just nude spanx-like material, so no one would know you had it on! good luck!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I've had two cesarians, but actually lost weight during my pregnancies (perinatologist saying something about the fetus being a very efficient parasite - lol) I have a flap too, which I tend to hold onto while I walk around nekkid , sorta like horse reigns :laugh: whoa nelly, keeping all those jiggly-bits from getting out of control.

I've been seriously considering a Mommy-tuck, but would like to lose a little more weight before I go there. It will always be loose skin no matter if I lose weight, so may as well be rid of the excess skin.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Echoing what everyone else has said......

I was 185 when I got pregnant. (I'm only 5'4''.) I ballooned to 245 lbs when I had my emergency c-section. I am down to 150-ish now. I have 'the flap'. My upper tummy is pretty taut... I'm not saying I have a six pack by any means, but my skin fits my body. Lower tummy... below the belly button and south.... I have the flap. :indifferent: *snarl* It's like a dunlap belly, pooching out and then tucking up under quickly at the c-section scar line. *le sigh* For me, it's almost all excess skin. I can fold it upwards and hold it in with one hand and have a nice "flat tummy". (Again, not a 'perfect tummy' but just a nice tummy that fits my current body.) Without a tummy tuck, that skin isn't going anywhere. Obesity, pregnancy, and a c-section stretched it out too far to allow for natural recovery.

:grumble:

BUT --- Just like my stretch marks --- that belly is my badge of honor. I have a beautiful and healthy daughter out of it, and remind myself of this when I look at the flap. Helps me refocus. :flowerforyou:
  • jenlhugg
    jenlhugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have had three c-sections and the flap has progressively got worse. It disgusts me. My doctor told me that since they cut through so much during the surgery that I could do sit-ups all day long and it would never go away. This was very assuring. But I guess it is just something I have to deal with, my husband says he doesn't care, but hate it cause my underwear and pants seem to creep down and settle right in the scar I hate it. And I also have no sensation in that area, totally numb. I am trying to get in peak physical shape then plan on saving up and having a tummy tuck, for me, to make myself feel better.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I have had three c-sections and the flap has progressively got worse. It disgusts me. My doctor told me that since they cut through so much during the surgery that I could do sit-ups all day long and it would never go away. This was very assuring. But I guess it is just something I have to deal with, my husband says he doesn't care, but hate it cause my underwear and pants seem to creep down and settle right in the scar I hate it. And I also have no sensation in that area, totally numb. I am trying to get in peak physical shape then plan on saving up and having a tummy tuck, for me, to make myself feel better.

That's it, me too, no sensation, or extreme pain when my girls jump on my right side of my scar - I could go through the roof! I could wear a tankini, but all the bottoms tend to roll down into my incision, exposing my flap... so always a 1 piece for me.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

That's it, me too, no sensation, or extreme pain when my girls jump on my right side of my scar - I could go through the roof! I could wear a tankini, but all the bottoms tend to roll down into my incision, exposing my flap... so always a 1 piece for me.

Yep, everything creeps down to sit on the scar line.
    Recently, I started having pain and discovered a knot in my lower right abdomen. Since I had an ovarian/uterine tumor removed when I was 18, I am paranoid, so I immediately went to my family doctor AND my ob/gyn. Both concluded it was a ball of scar tissue. Unless the pain becomes unbearable, it's advised not to mess with it until (unless) I have another c-section, at which point they can try to remove it. When my daughter jumps on me and hits that small area, pain waves course through my body and I cry. She has learned to be very careful with my lower abdomen.
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    After reading this I'm feeling sad :( I too have that lovely flap but was hopeful in the past that if I lost weight it would go away too. So considering I'm still 40lbs overweight will it go away any or is this it? I'm so self conscience about that area. I love my scar because it's a reminder of my sweet baby boy but that daggone flap... I don't have any feeling there either. I do not have a tummy tuck in my future so I'm just wondering if I should be worried about this or is there a chance it will get a little smaller as I do? Wait, oh no, will it get bigger as I get smaller?
  • liziedawn
    Options
    This one is cracking me up! Simply because I grab mine too!!! I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one! Thanks!

Thanks to everyone. I kind of figured sugery was the only fix, Was just hoping there was something I could do to make it not so bad while I try toose half of me!

On a side note I did have all my baby weight gone by the time I went back for my two week check up. My OB said it was a lot of water weight! My ankles were proof of that! Now I just have to get rid of what I should have never had to start with... Thanks again.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    After reading this I'm feeling sad :( I too have that lovely flap but was hopeful in the past that if I lost weight it would go away too. So considering I'm still 40lbs overweight will it go away any or is this it? I'm so self conscience about that area. I love my scar because it's a reminder of my sweet baby boy but that daggone flap... I don't have any feeling there either. I do not have a tummy tuck in my future so I'm just wondering if I should be worried about this or is there a chance it will get a little smaller as I do? Wait, oh no, will it get bigger as I get smaller?

:smile: It WILL get smaller!!! No worries, darling. As I've lost weight, mine has gotten much smaller. I'm very self-conscious about my belly too, but as I've lost weight and it's shrunk, I'm less worried about how it looks... because it IS smaller. :smile:

EDIT--- it will be proportionately smaller.... does that make sense?
  • kathryn3581
    Options
    I had a c-section a month ago...I have been wearing my belly bandit religiously and now that it doesnt fit I wear spanx and only take it off to shower or go to the bathroom, so far it has helped out alot but I still have a a little bubble looking thing over my scar and it is indented I know I still have a ways to go to heal but I think it is just par for the course....
  • imdamom
    Options
    I ve had 3 c-sections. One 17 years ago with my twins, one 14 years ago with my daughter and one 6 years ago with my youngest son. All of my c-sections were done vertically, incision from belly button to pubic bone. Because of that, I almost have two flaps, one on either side of the incision area (makes it look almost like I have a tush in the front too...lol). Were everyone else's done horizontally along the bikini line? Wonder if it makes a difference? I just figure I have a lot of Spanx purchases to look forward to... :laugh:
  • jenlhugg
    Options
    My scar, when healing the last time, kind of turned itself inside out, and I do have a burning incision pain every now and again, especially when I exercise. I am hoping that this may get the insurance to pay for part of a tummy tuck. But it is good to know that there are many others out there who feel the same way and are having the same problem.
  • jenlhugg
    Options
    Don't worry, it will shirink a little as you lose your weight, and maybe it will go away for you. I know after c-section #1, it really wasn't that bad, but like I said, it got progressively worse after #2, and #3. Your baby is only 7 months right? You are still recovering, lose the weight and get fit and I bet that it will get considerably smaller! May not even be that noticeable.
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    my sons almost 7 months old and my stomachs almost back to it's old self. obviously with the addition of some stretch marks.. there is no flap [i wore a band for almost 2 months after and work out a ton] but say im leaning over or on my knees..it is kinda hangy. i think its something im going to have to deal with for life. my scar is only about 5 inches wide though and faded to almost nothing. the scar doesnt bother me but the extra skin does really bad.

im starting with a personal trainer this week so i plan on asking about any good things to target that area, but i dont think theres much hope once the muscle is cut it's cut!
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking mine won't go away. I've had two, and my youngest is 20 months old. While it has gotten smaller, it will always be a part of my body unless I get a tummy tuck...which I would love, but we won't be able to afford for quite some times. I think I'll be at my goal by May, and I'll continue working out hard for another year and see where it's at after that?? Who knows, maybe after the weight is gone for a while it will slowly shrink back? haha