Pumpkin substitute?

Options
adore217
adore217 Posts: 33
I've notice several dessert recipes using a can of pumpkin with boxed cake mixes. If I wanted to make any of the flavors would I always use one whole can, or do some flavors need different amounts? I want to try it but I wanted to be clear on how much.

Thanks!
:smile:

Replies

• adore217
    Options
    I've notice several dessert recipes using a can of pumpkin with boxed cake mixes. If I wanted to make any of the flavors would I always use one whole can, or do some flavors need different amounts? I want to try it but I wanted to be clear on how much.

Thanks!
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Always a whole can for any flavor cake mix, I use the pillsbury reduced sugar cake mixes :)
  • adore217
    Options
    Thank you!
    :flowerforyou:
  • uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    Options

Thanks!

How do you do this? Is it 1 can of pumpkin and 1 box of cake mix? I'm intrigued. Can someone post more info or a recipe for this?

Thanks!
  • laurenk182004
    Options
    That's all there is to it! 1 can of pumpkin and 1 can of box cake mix, mix and bake..not sure how long, I just keep checking it until it's done...lol I really like it with the white reduced sugar cake mix :)
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I never thought of doing this BUT the problem is I would use pumpkin that I did myself(boiled down and purred) what would be the equivalent? 12 ounces(on a liquid basis meaning a cup and a half)?
  • uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    Options
    That's all there is to it! 1 can of pumpkin and 1 can of box cake mix, mix and bake..not sure how long, I just keep checking it until it's done...lol I really like it with the white reduced sugar cake mix :)

interesting! does it taste super pumpkiny?
  • laurenk182004
    Options
    I think a can of pumpkin is 15 ounces, but I'm not positive.
    It doesn't taste super pumpkiny, it's sweet and yummy! lol U can make it with spice cake mix too and that is great, I haven't tried it with chocolate yet, but I'm sure it's delicious
  • 5KNohno
    5KNohno Posts: 503
    Options
    I made it yesterday with a dark chocolate cake mix and 1 can pumpkin - made 12 large muffins. Really yummy and not pumpkiny at all.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    You know, I have a ton of baked goods I could make using this, since i never have milk or eggs on hand :laugh:

Now I just have to figure out the nutritional value!
  • 5KNohno
    5KNohno Posts: 503
    Options
    You know, I have a ton of baked goods I could make using this, since i never have milk or eggs on hand :laugh:

Now I just have to figure out the nutritional value!
    Its only like 135 calories for the whole can - att least for the brand I used.