Weighing In

Options
How often do you weigh yourself and what time of day? I've had scales tell me differences from 2 to 7lbs. Which one should I believe? I tend to be a bit obsessive about the number on the scale and am trying to work through that so any help on how often I should weigh myself and what number I should go with will be beneficial. Thanks!

Replies

• drakechic08
    drakechic08 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Some people like to weigh in daily, others weekly. Make sure it is always first thing in the morning and at the same time everytime you way in. If you weigh in daily, just remember you can fluctuate 5lbs in a day.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    As you will probably see here in a few minutes from alot of replies...you should use the mirror and measuring tape as opposed to a scale....use a scale to measure progress if you want...but in the end...its your look you are looking to change, right?

Use the same scale, at the same time of the day every day...monitor changes that way...will take you a few weeks to catch the trend, but from there you should be able to see which way the trend is going....but once again...use a mirror and measuring tape...dont rely on the scale
  • debbiekuhn123
    debbiekuhn123 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    once every 2 weeks, my 1st weigh in is in 6 days time, hoping ive lost :)
  • demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself like every morning before i shower.. however i'm trying to cut back and only weigh myself on fridays!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Not more than once per week, first thing in the morning (after going to the bathroom, but before eating breakfast).
  • tlroesch72
    Options
    I weigh in once a week (Monday) right after I wake up and use the bathroom :smile:
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I don't own a scale because I know I would obsess over it and get very discouraged if I didn't like what it said. I only weight when I go to my parents house 2.5 hours away becasue that was the 1st place I weighed when I started this journey. So I figure to be accurate I would just keep only using their scale. Sometime I visit once a month sometimes its every other week. I would much rather see that I have lost 5lbs in a month than see I only lost 1lb in a week of killing myself.:laugh:
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning on the same scale. I fully admit that I am obsessed but I know it's not going to change! It does help me though because after a bad day, I can see the damage it did on the scale so I can change my behavior quickly!
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I ONLY ever weigh myself in the morning. And every Monday.
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    once a week, but missed last weeks after a binge, had a sneaky peak last night and not really happy (but I normally weigh in in the mornings)

and was trying to do fortnightly measuring but I forget !
  • SwitzerS
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, but I only put it on the computer on Thursday mornings. My mom used to go to TOPS and they said to never weigh in on a Monday, because your weekend could make it worse. That is why I choose to do Thursdays.
  • vodkoffee
    vodkoffee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Every day in the morning, after the bathroom but before the shower. I keep a moving average on my phone. I like knowing the patterns of my body, that way one up day won't throw me for a loop. I find the moving average incredibly helpful, as well. There is an app called Libra for Android, and one called True Weight for iPhone. They work with this idea: http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/signalnoise.html
  • bassmanlarry
    bassmanlarry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning when I first get up, but I only record on here once a week, usually on Thursday. My weight can fluctuate as much as 5 lbs during the day depending on how much sodium I've had and how much water I consume. I usually weigh more on a Monday, but always back down by Tuesday or Wednesday. I don't obsess over it, just gives me a baseline.
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Every morning, but I only log the weight once a month now.
  • ABrideToBE
    ABrideToBE Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Everyday! I want to track my success. :)
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself on the 1st and 15th of every month. I used to weigh myself every morning but I was driving myself crazy!
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every a.m. before I shower. Only log it in MFP Thursdays. It helps keep me on track, do what works for you.
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Once a week, on Mondays.. In the morning.. After workout and shower before eating. Same scale every time. Very consistant that way.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Initially when I started this journey, I would weigh in every Monday morning, but since August I have changed and I have started to weigh in only once a month, the 1st of each month to be exact. I have also taken pictures as well.

You have to do what works for you, but even though I use to weight weekly, sometimes I would sneak in a quick check during the week, daily weighing drives me crazy, makes me real stressed, so I stay far from it, took some time but I was able to get over it

What helped was moving the scale to the garage...

On the 1st of next month I plan to start taking measurements as well, but every so often I try on a jeans or something I know is tight to see if any changes.....lol

Goodluck to you
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Your 'true' weight is how much you weigh after a good sleep, in the morning, naked, after a pee/poop :tongue: In any other situation your talking about water retention, the weight of your clothes etc etc being added on to the number.

I'm trying to weigh in once a week from now on as I'm losing slowly this close to goal, but if you're curious and wanna weigh every day, just don't expect it to be DOWN every day...there will always ALWAYS be water fluctuations up and down, depending on your activity level (your muscles retain water after strength training) or on how much water you drink/how regular you are...EXPECT it to be up a little some mornings and that way you wont be disappointed.

If you maintain a caloric deficit you're doing things right :wink: