Uneven muscle changes.

Options
I have been doing push-ups regularly for like two weeks. Not very long. I was surprised to notice a few days ago that I actually have some muscle definition in my right bicep. I can flex it and there is a clear separation between muscle and fat. I'm excited!

On my left arm, however...not so much. It's happening, but it's barely noticeable. I expect some degree of difference, especially since I am VERY right handed, but I'm a little concerned that I am going to end up totally uneven or something.

Has anyone else come across this? Is there any way I can counteract it? Is it possible that I am subconsciously favoring my right arm when I do push ups and thus getting a better workout on that side? Or maybe is it possible that I'm just not able to flex as strongly on my left side so it just seems like I don't have as much happening over there? For what it's worth, they both feel about the same when they're relaxed.

Replies

• peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Relax. You aren't overdeveloping one side. If you're right hand dominant, chances are good that your right arm will be stronger/bigger than your left. Not by much, but it is very likely.

You haven't built much mass after just 2 weeks of pushups, so what you are seeing is more the result of fat loss than muscle gain.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    At first I thought the OP was male....

Since I was wrong, my obvious explanation for the right arm muscle development no longer holds.... or does it?
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Joking aside, you won't see results in two weeks. Takes lot longer.
  • dragonfly_em
    dragonfly_em Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i'm no expert on these things but in body pump classes we do some pushups with one hand on something higher (about an inch) than the other alternating sides every set. think this helps both sides work equally
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    i'm no expert on these things but in body pump classes we do some pushups with one hand on something higher (about an inch) than the other alternating sides every set. think this helps both sides work equally
    That's merely for a deeper pushup. Has nothing to do with working one side more than the other. Merely a ROM variation.
  • Lennox497
    Lennox497 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Relax. You aren't overdeveloping one side. If you're right hand dominant, chances are good that your right arm will be stronger/bigger than your left. Not by much, but it is very likely.

You haven't built much mass after just 2 weeks of pushups, so what you are seeing is more the result of fat loss than muscle gain.

Yup totally agree with the first post. It is WAY too early to have muscle imbalances. They do happen, but not after two weeks. Also your arms will be fine, the real imbalances are between mirror(chest) and non-mirror muscles(back).

Don't neglect your back just cause you don't see it in the mirror. Strong posterior chain FTW! :)
  • brits111383
    Options
    I had a question about this a while ago, but it was for lifting vs. push-ups:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/456885-right-arm-noticeably-less-tone-than-the-right-what-to-do

I'm still noticing my right arm is stronger, but leftie isn't too shabby, either. I forgot I was going to use my 1-lb weights to help even out! I'm going to try that. Thanks for the reminder! :)
  • cncrafton
    cncrafton Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Okay, good to know! Thanks everyone!
    At first I thought the OP was male....

Since I was wrong, my obvious explanation for the right arm muscle development no longer holds.... or does it?

Ahhh you caught me.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Pushups don't really work your biceps anyway. In a very minor way they are used for balance, but that is very minor and would likely cause no physical changes to your biceps even when eating a diet to support bulking.

The only exception to this is if your are doing planche and maltese pushup variations and holding the lockout (the lockout does work your biceps, a lot). However you don't just accidentally do them and they are a degree of difficulty many orders of magnitude higher than a standard pushup.