Calories

Options
I joined MFP last year, but was not very good about tracking. I have just started again this week and had the site calculate my daily calories. It has given me 1200 calories a day and shows that should create a loss of less than 1 lb a week. Should I just stick with that or manually enter a lower calorie value?

Replies

• kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Can you tell us your stats? height weight age ect?

1200 is a very common goal that MFP sets but if you don't have much to lose then less than a puond a week is a bout as fast as you are going to go.if your BMR is over 1200 then eating less for extended periods is not a good idea.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Since you have so little to lose, I assume you aren't terribly overweight right now to start. And, no, eating under 1200 is never advisable. If it set you to 1200 and you'd lose less than a pound a week on that, that's ok. When you see folks on here losing faster, they are usually starting out obese.
  • gmurphy910
    Options
    Height 5'4"
    Weight 161
    Age 53
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Okay so your BMR is 1320 that's why it's giving you the 1200 calorie goal and if you're only slightly active your TDEE is about 1584. So at 1200 calories a day NET you're 384 under per day. Which means it would take a little over 9 days for you to lose a pound.

I'm kinda in the same boat and it's kinda depressing that it takes so long but it's better that way. I try to eat right around my BMR and eat back most of my exercise calories and it's been working for me. Actually I've lost 5 pounds in 45 days (since then I've been a little stuck but I feel like another drop is coming soon).

I have my goal set to 1300 which I think sould bea good goal for you too we're kinda int he asme boat. So feel free to check out my diary and freind me if you'd like.

Oh and that BMR is assuming you are female!
  • gmurphy910
    Options
    Thanks Kellicci. Will check our your diary !