Still Hungry!

Options
Just started my new diet yesterday after excersizing for a month with no food cutbacks and seeing no difference. The problem is, I'm still hungry! I've gone from about 2000-2200 a day to 1200. I guess that 1,000 calories really means a lot.

Should I eat a little more the first few days so my body can adjust, or do I just keep up the low calories and in a few days I will feel better? I'm not having an energy problem at all, and I'm drinking lots of water.

Replies

• iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    According to your profile, you only have 20 pounds to lose. So, chances are 1200 calories a day is too little for you. Do you have your goals set to a 2 lb loss per week? If so, that's unrealistic considering that you only have a relatively small amount to lose. I have about 20 pounds to lose and have mine set to lose 1 lb per week, and I eat 1450 calories per day (before exercise). Try up-ing your calories (by changing your goals) and see if that helps. I'm sure others will chime in here, too! :flowerforyou:
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    Yes - trying to lose my 20 so I can race faster (got one coming up soon!) I felt like I needed to hit it hard and fast to stick with it.. maybe you are right with the 1 lb a week. That's definitely something worth thinking about. Thanks!!
  • JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    Options
    I've found that since I added brown rice and barley to my meals as side dishes (lots of fiber) I'm not as hungry ~ best luck!:flowerforyou:
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    Indeed the closer to your body's ideal weight the slow you will lose.

That said whole grains and lean proteins will help with hunger!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    What are you eating?

1500 calories can be a bucket full of good stuff, or one bacon cheeseburger. If you're hungry you're probably eating too much high density stuff and not enough fruity-veggie-freebie stuff.

I handled this by just not having any high density junk food in the house, and having a big salad or a big serving of a green veggie with just about every meal. 100 calories worth of green will fill a bowl the size of your head, and will definitely fill your tummy.
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have about 20lbs left to lose too! You can look at my food diary in my profile if you want. I stick to 1200 cals a day and try to eat half of my exercise cals back. That's the only way I lose! Msg. me if you have any questions!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories? If not you should eat most if not all of them.
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    I don't eat my excercize calories. I guess I feel like if I am eating them, why bother even going?
  • Badtz
    Badtz Posts: 14
    Options
    I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM!!!!!

I just had a baby 2 months ago, and went from consuming about 2,000 a day during my third trimester until recently- now I'm cutting back to 1,400 (trying to loose that damn baby weight, plus the extra weight I gained befoe the pregnancy I can't blame on the baby).

My fiancee said the same stuff about being full- eat more broccoli floretts & carrot sticks and less annies mac & cheese (which seems obvious, but hard to stick to). Guess it's just that will power that's hard to get back for me- but I'm guessing after this first week or two of cutting back so much more than I'm used to, in balance with finding the right foods to keep me full without making me go over calorie "budget", dieting will be a lot easier and the "hungry all the time" feeling will go away... mostly... right?
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    That's why you're still hungry! Your body will tolerate a 500 calorie deficit pretty well. If you're heavy you can do 1000 for a while, I did it for months. But if you're planning a 1000 cal deficit and then burning up another 1000 calories in exercise and not eating any of it back - then you're effectively having a 2000 calorie deficit and your body will stage an open revolt!

No wonder you're hungry. I'll bet you're miserable too, and the fatigue will set in in a couple days.

Yes, you should probably eat more. Eat at least 1/2 of your exercise calories. Please...