Jean Sizes

Options
I just have a general question for all the taller ladies out here who have lost a lot of weight. I am 5'10 and I have lost 60 lbs so far and have been in a size 20-22 jean depending on the style of jean, So my question is what weight were you when you were able to get into a size 16 or 18? I have been stuck in the same size jean for two monthes now and even though I am losing can only get in a size 18 with my shapewear on. Kind of defeating when the scale is moving....

Replies

• fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I am 5'11". At my heaviest 224 I wore a size 14. Now at 186 I'm in a 10 in jeans. Mind you they are all longs or I wouldn't look like I was going clam digging : D Everyone carries their weight differently so I don't know that its going to help you if someone at your height and weight tells you what size they wore. Someone maybe very top heavy or carry it all in their upper back. Believe me I have a friend who gains one pound and its on her upper back almost like a hump.
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any strength for toning? That'll help to lose inches!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I am 5'11". At my heaviest 224 I wore a size 14. Now at 186 I'm in a 10 in jeans. Mind you they are all longs or I wouldn't look like I was going clam digging : D Everyone carries their weight differently so I don't know that its going to help you if someone at your height and weight tells you what size they wore. Someone maybe very top heavy or carry it all in their upper back. Believe me I have a friend who gains one pound and its on her upper back almost like a hump.

^Everyone carries their weight differently. There is no way of knowing what size you will wear at different weights, especially since sizes vary so much from brand to brand.

For example, the above poster was a size 14 at 224lbs. At 230lbs, I was a size 18/20. I'm 187lbs now and I'm in a size 12. So, it's very hard to predict sizes depending on weight.
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5'6 but at around 280 i was on the cusp of size 26, and was amazed last week that i could get into a size 18 after losing only 48 lbs. i think body size as well as manufacturer makes a big difference. I can almost button a size 16 in one brand, while a size 18 in another is perfect.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    This might be useful to you. You can search on height, weight, and body shape and get an idea of where you may fall as you lose weight: http://www.mybodygallery.com
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    This might be useful to you. You can search on height, weight, and body shape and get an idea of where you may fall as you lose weight: http://www.mybodygallery.com

Thanks for that!
  • channon26
    channon26 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I actually just got back to a size 16 yayyy me lol, but I'm 226 now and was 246 when I was wearing a 18-20. I lost inches in my thighs and hips not just weight.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" and 217.6 pounds and wear a 16 in jeans although they are starting to get loose. I am wearing a size 14 in dress pants today.
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    As others have said, it all depends on your body shape. I'm 5'8", 221 and can wear most size 12s unless they're like, low rise skinny jeans.
  • Celticsnowflake
    Celticsnowflake Posts: 28 Member
    Options

^Everyone carries their weight differently. There is no way of knowing what size you will wear at different weights, especially since sizes vary so much from brand to brand.

For example, the above poster was a size 14 at 224lbs. At 230lbs, I was a size 18/20. I'm 187lbs now and I'm in a size 12. So, it's very hard to predict sizes depending on weight.

I agree. People carry differently, but if you are looking to see what the average is.... I am 5'11" when I was 227 I was in a 16 (But tight) now at around 203 I am in a 14 (very loose around the waist after the jeans start to stretch). I also carry weight around my waist like a life preserver too so now that I have lost mainly from the rest of my body, I am hoping the life preserver goes to save someone else!! LOL Good luck!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Sizes differ all over the world...North American sizes are at least two sizes "smaller" than European sizes - I wear an 8 in Canada, but when I go on holiday to South Africa, I buy a size 12 there....

If I buy pants at places that do the stupid "vanity sizing" ( lululemon anybody?):huh: I wear a size four.....:bigsmile: :laugh: :noway:
    So don't get hung up on sizes - take your measurements and compare your progress to that, not to some random size jean.....
    And start doing strengh training - it does wonders for your shape......
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7'' and 243 pounds, and am wearing size 18 jeans. I started out in size 28w, so I am pretty excited about this too!
  • vabchloser
    vabchloser Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I just have a general question for all the taller ladies out here who have lost a lot of weight. I am 5'10 and I have lost 60 lbs so far and have been in a size 20-22 jean depending on the style of jean, So my question is what weight were you when you were able to get into a size 16 or 18? I have been stuck in the same size jean for two monthes now and even though I am losing can only get in a size 18 with my shapewear on. Kind of defeating when the scale is moving....

Try this - go to www.mybodygallery.com and look up your height and weight to see what size pants others are wearing, then you can decrease the weight and see how the jean sizes get smaller. I love this site. It gives me hope!!! (If you've never heard of it, it is pictures of real women, their height, weight, shirt size, jean size, and body type. It's searchable, so you go directly to what you want!)

Edit: EEEEKKK!! Someone already told you!! :)
  • tlink67
    tlink67 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

This is very discouraging for me. I am 147-150 lbs. My jean size is a 10.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11. At 190 I was in a tight 14. Either I lost weight or I bought 16's. Everyone carries their weight differently - I'm now 147 and wear a 4 in jeans - but I could afford to lose some body fat...
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

This is very discouraging for me. I am 147-150 lbs. My jean size is a 10.

Why is it discouraging? She might wear a different brand, make, live in another country where the sizing is different or have a differently shaped body than yours.... Pant sizing is a junk way to measure progress.....

I am 5'8, weighs 176 or so and wear (generally speaking ) a North American size 8, wears a Walmalr (Lee Rider) size 6 jean, an Eddie Bauer size 10, have a 13/14 Suzy Shier dress pants on and have a couple of South African bought size 12's that all fit perfectly well..... And btw, the 176 lbs I weigh now is 10 lbs heavier than what I weighed last year this time, when I wore pants at least one size bigger.....
    So please don't base the way YOU feel on somebody else's pant size.....
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

At my goal weight of 150, I hope to be in a size 18. When I hit 175, I had to up it to size 20.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Try this - go to www.mybodygallery.com and look up your height and weight to see what size pants others are wearing, then you can decrease the weight and see how the jean sizes get smaller. I love this site. It gives me hope!!! (If you've never heard of it, it is pictures of real women, their height, weight, shirt size, jean size, and body type. It's searchable, so you go directly to what you want!)

Edit: EEEEKKK!! Someone already told you!! :)

That website it depressing! Everyone my height and weight wears smaller clothing sizes than me. :grumble:

But then, these threads are depressing too. :sad:

:tongue:
  • vabchloser
    vabchloser Posts: 223 Member
    Options

That website it depressing! Everyone my height and weight wears smaller clothing sizes than me. :grumble:

But then, these threads are depressing too. :sad:

:tongue:
    omgosh!! Don't be depressed!! I carry good weight in my thighs, butt and hips too. I remember, back in the day, I weighed 145 (at 5'8") and was a size 10 in jeans.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I'm 227 and wearing a size 24. When I was wearing an 18, I was 175 pounds, and when I was 135-150 pounds is when I was wearing a size 16. I have not worn a size smaller than 16 since I was a very little girl. When I was 9 yrs old, I wore a size 11. I remember that because at the time, I thought there was a correlation between size and age, so I expected to be in a 9. That's when Mom informed me that I was starting to get my hips. I've been cursing my hips since I was about 14. :laugh:

You can burn fat, but you can't change your bone structure.