Having a Hard Time Eating Healthy?

Options
Okay, so I'm not trying to blame my family whatsoever because I know that my choices are mine...but I do have a dilemma.

I'm 18 and still living at home because of the costs of moving out. My family is actually pretty healthy, my dad (who makes the meals) cooks pretty healthy dinners. There's always one veggie, at least, our meats consist of chicken, pork chop...and we eat steak and burgers, too. I'm honestly not worried about my dinners, because even when there are parts that aren't exactly healthy I can still munch on the other portions. However, my issue comes with the food kept around the house....which aren't so healthy.

Chips, candy, dessert snacks...everything horribly bad for you. I've tried asking for healthy alternatives because I get hungry often, but it either goes unnoticed or it gets eaten (or goes bad since fruit so quickly rots) before I know we have it. I currently have a salad pack stashed in the back of the fridge...but I can only eat a salad for so many days before it makes me want to gag just thinking about it.

I don't quite know how to keep healthy foods around the house for me...and it's really killing me with eating so little because the calories are so high. Any suggestions? What types of healthy foods should I try pushing for to try to change their minds to start getting healthy and getting me healthy?

Replies

• demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    kind of in the same situation. people will bring chips, ice cream, donuts, etc.. if they are there, i will eat them! get some hummus and carrots or pita chips/pretzels. it's pretty cheap and it always seems to fill me up! I also keep some dried mango around the house!
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Do you have a costco or sams by you? I am sure other stores may have bulk sections too, they have nuts, oatmeal's, trail mixes, dry snacks that are decently priced and would probably take awhile to get through the bag so there is enough for all!

Do you cook at all? Bake? You can make some healthy desserts that maybe everyone would jump on board for, or even look at the bad things you have in the house and try and find healthier alternatives to the same snack, like chips, you can make your own!! super simple and you control what is put on them.

One of the hardest part about healthy eating is being creative. Sometimes when your trying to avoid eating things you would rather not, that means there isn't much in lines of convenience. But you can pre make some things and portion them out so then they are easy to grab. Depending on how many people are in your house, you can double the batch, even triple and then everyone can have some. Some people have a hard time switching to healthy snacks just because they don't know what to make or have because of lot of times snack are little more on the go, so take one day so you can have convenience for the week and maybe it will help get your family on board.

Healthy snacks can be just as good as the not so good ones. Once people try them alot of times they enjoy them and makes those switches a bit easier.

Everytime you make or prepare something, ask your family to try a bit and see what they think, if you are all eating alike, there would be more healthy snacks around :)
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Take advantage of your youth, start eating clean now and you'll be thankful you did for the rest of your life.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    You need to start doing your own grocery shopping and designate a spot in the cupboard that's "yours". That way you can buy pretzels, pita chips, veggies . . . . all the healthy things that YOU want to eat and make it clear to your family that the food is yours because you bought it.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Take advantage of your youth, start eating clean now and you'll be thankful you did for the rest of your life.

Did you read her post? She said that she lives at home, she wants to eat healthy, she requests her father buy healthy food but he either doesn't or it's gone by the time she gets to eat it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Um, sounds like a pretty good situation you have there. Why can't you go buy a few of your own snacks if they won't? They are still providing all the other foods, is there a reason you can't provide your own snacks?
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Do you have any extra cash? Even just $20 could get lots of good snacks or fruits and veggies that would last a while. Maybe see if you can tag long on the next shopping trip and have your own order. Or if you are close enough or have transportation, take yourself. Good luck.
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    You need to start doing your own grocery shopping and designate a spot in the cupboard that's "yours". That way you can buy pretzels, pita chips, veggies . . . . all the healthy things that YOU want to eat and make it clear to your family that the food is yours because you bought it.

what they said....
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    You ask but how about actually making a list of things to give your parents to get for you at the store. Make it reasonable like yogurt, nuts, carrots and string cheese sticks.

If you start small and eat it all, then they are more likely to do this on an on going basis. If you are like my nieces, who say they want to eat healthier and my sister buys it, they do not eat it and then it goes to waste.

So start small, show them you will eat it and then watch, they will keep doing it. But if they buy it, you do not eat it, then they are not going to keep throwing money away.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I agree about buying your own snacks...if you're saving money on rent, utilities and the majority of the groceries I would put your money toward getting some healthy foods. And the suggestion to get to a Sam's/BJ's/Costco is a good one. You can stash the snacks in your room if they're things like nuts, trail mixes, etc.

Another suggestion is this: http://www.amazon.com/Locker-Brand-157281-Original-Fridge/dp/B001UFNCHM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349364643&sr=8-1&keywords=food+locker I laughed at first but I've lived and worked in places that people took my food so I actually think it's pretty awesome.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m6nu7xYxpO1qke924o1_500.png
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    If other people are getting into your stash, stash it in your room, just be wise and seal the stuff up good to prevent pests.

I would suggest getting various nuts you enjoy. I love pistachios and the Emerald coacoa almonds. I also love roasted peanuts in the shell like at ballgames, but they are messy to eat inside. LOVE cashews. There are some Kashi bars I enjoy too. The pumpkin flavored ones are great.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    When I was an older teen and living at home, I always had a job. And with no bills to pay, I had plenty of money. Are you working? If so, you can simply buy your own snacks. If Mom and Dad are refusing to buy healthy stuff that you want to eat for snacks, then make a point of marking your name on them just to be snarky. :laugh:
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I agree about buying your own snacks...if you're saving money on rent, utilities and the majority of the groceries I would put your money toward getting some healthy foods. And the suggestion to get to a Sam's/BJ's/Costco is a good one. You can stash the snacks in your room if they're things like nuts, trail mixes, etc.

Another suggestion is this: http://www.amazon.com/Locker-Brand-157281-Original-Fridge/dp/B001UFNCHM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349364643&sr=8-1&keywords=food+locker I laughed at first but I've lived and worked in places that people took my food so I actually think it's pretty awesome.

LOVE IT...very tempted to get a few for my house. My kids are so damn sneaky that I hide my good PB on the top shelf behind something so it is there when I want it.
  • Krissyjean72
    Options
    You could try making a fruit salad in a large bowl which can be kept in a fridge. Do it as soon as the shopping is brought home and soak it in apple juice. It makes for a great, sweet, healthy snack and the apple juice keeps it fresh for 3-4 days (altho add soft fruits like banana, strawbs, raspberries fresh each day). All the family can join in. It would be cool to pass on the nutritional education you are giving yourself to the rest of the family.

As others have suggested - buy your own snacks and keep them in your room or give your dad specific items you would like him to buy and ensure that you eat them. I can't imagine any parent not wanting to help their kid be healthy - but dads are dads - ask him to get specific items (ie. write it on a list) and he'll know what to get. Maybe asking him for 'healthy' stuff isn't enough as supermarkets are huge and other than fruit, he may not know what is healthy for you or what you can eat :-)
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the helpful replies. I have tried making lists and buying my own things...but they tend to steal my stash (whether it is in my room or not) because it's something "new" and they like it because they're not used to it. I don't exactly understand that logic...but it's what they (mainly my brother) say. My dad does understand healthy, as he had a very physically demanding job which he had to train for months to get...he just tends to grab what is most voted for (as we have other teenagers that come to our house, courtesy of my brother). He has admitted to forgetting to get me things, and the other things he can't help but munch on the entire time which leaves me with none.

On another note, I have tried buying my own things. I do have a part time job, and I pay for almost everything I do (excluding food and 50% gas since my part time job is an hour away and it's helping pay for college so they chip in for half of the gas there). Snacks that I've bought get eaten constantly, so I mention that they should just buy them and they do for a while...and then they go back to eating chips and things and it's frustrating for me because I never know when we're about to run out (conflicting schedules) and end up with only junk foods by the time I need something to munch on.

Like I said, I'm not blaming them. And I do agree with almost all the replies to my post, that I really do need to buck up and do my own thing. I'll just keep trying until something sticks or until I get my own place.. :)

Thank you everyone.:flowerforyou:

Except for the two who obviously didn't read my thread and told me to "just be healthy". I didn't know that I was just saying no to good food, I thought I just had a problem I felt I had run into a brick wall with due to "outside" circumstances. My mistake. :laugh:
  • victorious27
    Options
    You could try making a fruit salad in a large bowl which can be kept in a fridge. Do it as soon as the shopping is brought home and soak it in apple juice. It makes for a great, sweet, healthy snack and the apple juice keeps it fresh for 3-4 days (altho add soft fruits like banana, strawbs, raspberries fresh each day). All the family can join in. It would be cool to pass on the nutritional education you are giving yourself to the rest of the family.

As others have suggested - buy your own snacks and keep them in your room or give your dad specific items you would like him to buy and ensure that you eat them. I can't imagine any parent not wanting to help their kid be healthy - but dads are dads - ask him to get specific items (ie. write it on a list) and he'll know what to get. Maybe asking him for 'healthy' stuff isn't enough as supermarkets are huge and other than fruit, he may not know what is healthy for you or what you can eat :-)

Mmm.. sounds really yummy! I'll probably end up doing that here in the next few days if I'm able!

My dad is really helpful with grocery stuff and with me wanting to be healthy, as is my mom, and I've tried lists and texting/calling him while he's at the store...but he forgets things often, even when they're right in front of him. It's kind of hard to explain, but I promise that I'm not making up excuses. He remembers a lot of my requests, but he just doesn't grab enough when he does.
  • victorious27
    Options

Loooove this!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

^^^This if possible. Hoard healthier nonperishable alternatives in your room if you have to. Label items in the fridge.
  • BITEME_GRRR
    BITEME_GRRR Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    snacking is BAD. no matter what people say do NOT get trail mix stuff like that it is too easy to binge on when you are starving.

What you need is a meal plan. Every meal should have Protein, Complex Carbs, Veggies, Fats and Dairy (to a certain extent of course). In between meals you should have a mid morning and mid afternoon snack of Greek yogurt, a handful of almonds and an apple or something but not too much.
    Trader joes sells great protein bars for a snack - chocolate peanut butter Greensplus bars.
    Very good and filling.