Can someone help me figure this out???

Options
breasonable
breasonable Posts: 115 Member
Hi there , I am making a crockpot soup today for my family and I have add all the ingredients into the recipe maker on here. The problem is I don't know how many servings it makes or how many calories per serving??? Can someone help me figure it out? I believe my journal is open for everyone to look.. Thanks a bunch. also I need the serving size... lol sorry I am new to this...

Replies

• beccalynn1981
    beccalynn1981 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have this problem often because I never follow my own recipes exactly everytime. When I first enter in my recipe I guess at the number of servings & usually use 1/2 or 1 cup servings depending on what I'm making. Then when you're ready to eat, just measure it as you're dishing it out, you can then go back into your recipe and make the adjustment for the number of servings. There may be easier ways, but this seems to work pretty good for me. The downfall is you not exactly sure how many calories you're actually taking in until after you've already eaten. Hope that helps!
  • breasonable
    Options
    Thanks, the problem is this made like 1 and 1/2 crock pots and my kids are going to devour it tonight when I am not home so I will have no way of knowing how much has taken out.... Im just going to take each item as a serving minus the whole serving of both beans cause that wont be in each serving and add it up. I think it equals about 1 1/2 cps.. I dont know.. lol
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    What is the size of your crockpot? It should say on it somewhere, usually in quarts. 1quart=4 cups. Based on this, figure out how many cups are in the recipe and use this as the number of servings. For example, if your crockpot is 2 quarts and is full, you have 8 servings. When you eat it, scoop it out with a 1 cup measuring cup. However many cups you ate is the number of servings.
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You can scope it all out one serving (whether its a cup or whatever you want) at a time into another bowl and then dump it all back into the crock pot or leave it in a serving dish or something.

I usually take my giant silver bowl, put it on the food scale, tare it out, and weigh the entire dish I'm making. Messy, Annoying, but useful. Once I get the total weight, I can just take the weight of my portion and figure the total # of servings based on that.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I measure how many cups it is, then decide how many cups is one serving. For instance, one and a half cups of soup seems like a good serving. Then you divide your total amount by 1 1/2 cups to get the number of servings.
  • psuskifan
    psuskifan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Measure it by the cup. If you have 1/8 of the total, you have also had (in theory) 1/8 of everything you put in there. I usually don't get that specific and will just guess on the higher side.

So lets take a simple meat tomato sauce:

2 large cans of Tomato
    2 table spoons of tomato paste
    One bunch basil
    Various herbs
    2 table spoons Olive Oil
    One Large Onion
    One pound of Turkey Beef
    1,000,000 cloves of garlic

Figure out how many cups the above is the old fashioned way. Lets say the total is 4 cups. You eat 1 cup of it. You should enter .25 of every ingredient above.
  • breasonable
    Options
    What a great Idea!!! Thank you this is that I will go off of!!! thank you thank you!!!!

What is the size of your crockpot? It should say on it somewhere, usually in quarts. 1quart=4 cups. Based on this, figure out how many cups are in the recipe and use this as the number of servings. For example, if your crockpot is 2 quarts and is full, you have 8 servings. When you eat it, scoop it out with a 1 cup measuring cup. However many cups you ate is the number of servings.
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I weigh the final product. Then I decide how many servings I want and divide the total weight by the number of servings.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I would decide on a serving size right now - say 1 cup, that's a pretty good serving size. Now look and see how much you have - is it 12 cups worth? 16? Then put in that number for the number of servings. Now even if you don't know how much your family eats you can just measure out 1 cup for yourself and know it's a serving!
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    pour it all out into a bowl and weigh it (I like to use grams)....then divide that amount into how many servings you want it to be. After you get that number, that will be the weight of one serving. Of course there is a bit of give and take being that water evaporates but it's a close guestimate. I also make dishes and portion them out right away before anyone touches them or evaporation occurs....then I know for sure.
  • breasonable
    Options
    I couldn't seem to figure out how much I had. I'm one of those add everything to the pot kind of cooks. I knew what I added but didn't know what the total of it was. What I ended up doing was it was 2 crock pots full a 3qt and 5 qt . ended up being 1 cp servings at 119 calories... worked out good!!!

I would decide on a serving size right now - say 1 cup, that's a pretty good serving size. Now look and see how much you have - is it 12 cups worth? 16? Then put in that number for the number of servings. Now even if you don't know how much your family eats you can just measure out 1 cup for yourself and know it's a serving!
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    It's a bit easier for me, because I'm single and my kid isn't big enough to open the fridge on her own yet. But I do a lot of batch cooking, and much of it is soup. I write down all the ingredients as I add them, and then divvy up the entire pot into 2-cup freezer bowls. Each one of those is a serving, and I take them to work with me for lunch. Once I know how many bowls I end up with (usually 12-14), then I have my number of servings, and I can enter the recipe into "my recipes" in MFP.
    You can divide some up into bowls for you, and leave one larger bowl for the kids to get their servings from, but either way, you're going to have to measure it all at some point in order to figure out serving size.
  • breasonable
    Options
    actually I didn't have to . I know how many quarts the crock pots are and divided it up that way. It worked out perfect that way... Needless to say I logging it that way.. lol
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have multiple sets of the same size storage containers. After I make something, I immediately divide it all out and see how many servings I ended up with. I put the containers on my scale when I divide them out so I know they have the same amount.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    my idea is a bit crazy, but it works on homemade recipes. I use my black cooking spoon and pour a "serving" (whatever i decide is going to be the serving) and say to myself "ok. 3 spoonfuls of this food (soup, chili, whatever) is a serving. Now, heres the crazy part....i spoon serve the food out of my pot into a different containier or pot and divide whatever number of spponfuls it took by "my serving size". So if in total, there are 30 spoonfuls of chili in your crockpot and u decided that a serving will be 3 spoonfuls...then you have 10 servings of chili in your crockpot. Lots of hard work the first time but it gets done. :)