Winter running....

Options
I plan to run outside through out the winter. Can I wear the same sneakers that I run in now or should I buy trail running shoes for example for better traction in snow and better insulation? I have never run outside in the winter before but would like to start. But I am not sure what to do about my footwear. I obviously want to prevent slipping and causing injury.

What do you advise?

Replies

• kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    As someone who lives in MI and just started running this spring I am interested in answers to this as well.

BUMP
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I use the same runners but if it's icy out, I use 'Get a grip' ice cleats or 'Yak Trax' on my shoes.

PS. I like the dog in your pic!
  • mdbs2004
    mdbs2004 Posts: 220
    Options
    bump...i'm scared to run in the cold. I dont want to get miles from home and be caught freezing.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    tricky one - really depends on the conditions. on soft packed snow you might get away with trainers, on hard pack you might be better with trail shoes, on ice you will need spikes of some sort. if cant predict the conditions for the whole of your run then there's an increased risk of a slip and injury.

Most trainers/trail shoes are designed to be airy to keep your feet cool and to let water in/out, so therefore not good at keeping you dry and warm. One option might be waterproof socks.

It will need to be very cold though before staying warm is a problem if you are working hard enough. only difference for me is a long sleeve top long leggings and a light jacket and maybe a beanie and light glove.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Hi ya what i do is if its icy go cross country on grass nowhere near as much slippery x :bigsmile:
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I plan to run outside through out the winter. Can I wear the same sneakers that I run in now or should I buy trail running shoes for example for better traction in snow and better insulation? I have never run outside in the winter before but would like to start. But I am not sure what to do about my footwear. I obviously want to prevent slipping and causing injury.

What do you advise?

I've run in all weather for over 30 years. I don't wear special shoes, but they will get wet so I wear warmer socks. I only wear more durable trail shoes when running on the trail, and that is regardless of the weather because of sharp rocks, etc.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I use the same runners but if it's icy out, I use 'Get a grip' ice cleats or 'Yak Trax' on my shoes.

PS. I like the dog in your pic!

This'll be my first "real" New England Winter (at least I expect it will be, we can't have two in a row like last year), but this is my plan as well.
  • rhonswan
    Options
    I use the same running shoes year round. I don't run on ice though, I will only run on clear streets or sidewalks. If it's that bad out that I cannot find clear path, then I run inside (which I absolutely hate)!!
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Hi ya what i do is if its icy go cross country on grass nowhere near as much slippery x :bigsmile:

^^ How does this work if there is 4 feet of snow? LOLOL

I've been asking this question, too, and most people recommend using yak tracks. Personally, I've cracked my knee cap falling on ice before and have found an indoor track in a field house I'll be training in when it's super cold (probably 10d F will be my limit without windchill)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

What do you advise?

Where?

I live in MN, and personally I don't run outside in the winter...don't like it.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Once the ground is snow/ice covered I generally move indoors. I find I'm so worried about slipping that I don't have good form. My stride is uneven and short, and it's just not worth it for me. Especially during the week since it is dark out both before and after work, not being able to see ice on the streets, or easily see whether the surface is smooth or not is a problem for me.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I run all year round. I use the same runners(snow, ice not an issue)

Sometimes I wear the under armour gear, but you will be surprised how fast your body heats up. Gloves might be worth getting. If you are running through the autumn(fall) your body will adapt to it gradually

The one thing that does get you is the chest, ice cold air burning into your chest tends to be the side effect I hate.
  • faitherdahl
    Options
    I live in MN and have run in 0 degree temps. Definitely invest in some good wool socks. They will keep your feet warm and dry. Also, layer up. I wear wind pants or sweats over winter running tights (when it's really cold) and several layers on top. Hope this helps :happy:
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Yak Trax are pretty good. I did this to a pair of older running shoes that were identical to my normal pair and really like the result:

http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I use my regular runners (I have a pair of Yak Trax but haven't used them yet) but switch to merino wool socks, they're warmer and stay warm if they get wet.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I use my regular runners (I have a pair of Yak Tax but haven't used them yet)
    Hah, same here.

I ran very, very carefully through the snow and ice, but the week it melted away I stuck my foot down a pothole made by the snow and ice and injured myself for months. Take care out there!
  • peachhunting
    peachhunting Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I live in northern ontario, snow forecasted for this weekend. The only thing I avoid when running is freezing rain. I use the same shoes, but if there is a fresh 3-4 inches, then I run in my trail shoes for better traction. I run in -20 celcius and never get cold.

Just layer properly and make sure you coat and pants are wind resistant.

There is nothing like a good run when the snow is falling heavy (actually have worn goggles on a run once)
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    When winter comes along I just switch from running barefoot to wearing a pair of Vibrams just for extra grip and bit of insulation. It's lovely to feel your feet being cooled down when you are hot under all those extra layers.

Be careful not to wear too many layers and start to cool down as the layers trap sweat. I wear a thermal top and Tshirt to cut the wind a bit and nylon racing bottoms (Ron Hill), knitted hat and gloves and carry a wind/shower proof.

Also let someone know what route you will be taking (and when you will be back) and stick to it; carry a mobile.

Oh - and enjoy the experience - nothing like winter sunrise and crisp virgin snow.
  • JamieCRodriguez
    JamieCRodriguez Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I used to live in Alaska and for winter running I would wear the same shoes. A lot of my friends took their regular running shoes and had screws put into the soles at our local running store.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I've lived in Minnesota,Chicago, Upstate New York, and Boston, MA. I've run all winter in all three. Never had special shoes. But I have worn more socks -- on really, really cold days only. You would be surprised. My experience is that unless it is below 0 degrees Fahrenheit, you warm up if you are wearing adequate clothing.
    Oh yeah. I agree. Nice dog.