Elliptical seems impossible!

Options
I started exercising 6 weeks ago and have stuck to a routine 5 days a week at the gym, 3 days circuit & Cardio and 2 Days just walking. I wanted to step it up(not losing weight) because I notice everyone doing 30 minutes on the Elliptical , I got on and couldn't do but 2 minutes! OMG I thought I was going to pass out.

I know you have to start somewhere but I would think I could have done more than that without passing out. I have over 100 pounds to lose so my weight is probably preventing my body from this machine but I'm going to keep at it even if I can only do 2 minutes at a time lol.

I have had a very inactive lifestyle the past 10 years with basically NO exercise so this last six weeks has been hard but I feel so much better already.

Replies

• cncrafton
    cncrafton Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have found that you have to have a very controlled pace on an elliptical. It's easy to start going SUPER fast but it's impossible to keep it going. Maybe try to keep your RPM at like 45-50 until you're more used to the machine.
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    i would just walk instead and keep trying it till i could do 10-15 minutes.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Keep at it, eventually it will get easier. I love that machine, was rough at first, now I can do a hour easily, you can do it.

Goodluck
  • LuckyCheryl
    LuckyCheryl Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    just get on and start - each day you will be able to go longer and longer. Ask someone at the gym to explain how the machine works so that you can change it up when you have some endurance. interval training on the elipitical is a great workout. Good Luck
  • AwesomeMoJo
    AwesomeMoJo Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I was heavier than I am now few years ago...(I have kept off 62lbs for the last 3 yrs)

To me the elliptical was easier than the treadmill...less impact on the knees and less bouncing of the "girls"...

Play with the levels, and the resistance as well as the rise and fall of the machine...start low and with a low resistance and work your way up.

CONGRATS to you for starting a healthier lifestyle....it does get easier...I promise...just push a little more everyday....
  • kelli1023
    kelli1023 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    at first it seems that way but in the beginning take it easy dont hurt yourself you will slowly begin to realize you can do it when i first started using the elliptical i could only do 5 mins at a time so dont feel discouraged
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I have found that you have to have a very controlled pace on an elliptical. It's easy to start going SUPER fast but it's impossible to keep it going. Maybe try to keep your RPM at like 45-50 until you're more used to the machine.

I agree with this. I consider myself to be in good shape but even I can't do the elliptical for more than 5 minutes unless I consciously slow myself down. That's because I always jump and and start going at maximum speed and then run out of energy really fast. Try a more controlled pace and I bet you can stay on for longer. It's boring going slow though, so I generally avoid the elliptical altogether.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    2 minutes is more than you used to do! Keep at it... it gets better, I promise!
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I hate the elliptical. I run a a lot of long distance runs, but I can't last a minute on the elliptical. The movement feels unnatural. I don't like that I can't keep my own stride length (the elliptical makes me feel like I'm doing the splits) and I hate holding the handles so far away from my body. I hate everything about it. It might just not be for you. Try something else.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I started exercising 6 weeks ago and have stuck to a routine 5 days a week at the gym, 3 days circuit & Cardio and 2 Days just walking. I wanted to step it up(not losing weight) because I notice everyone doing 30 minutes on the Elliptical , I got on and couldn't do but 2 minutes! OMG I thought I was going to pass out.

I know you have to start somewhere but I would think I could have done more than that without passing out. I have over 100 pounds to lose so my weight is probably preventing my body from this machine but I'm going to keep at it even if I can only do 2 minutes at a time lol.

I have had a very inactive lifestyle the past 10 years with basically NO exercise so this last six weeks has been hard but I feel so much better already.

I was in pretty good shape the first time I ever got on an elliptical and I couldn't last five minutes. Keep trying and build up your stamina. I can go for hours now.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Try a little bit at a time and i PROMISE it will be ALOT easier in a weeks time even!
  • TELR85
    TELR85 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I started exercising 6 weeks ago and have stuck to a routine 5 days a week at the gym, 3 days circuit & Cardio and 2 Days just walking.

I just want to say Congratulations on what you have achieved so far!!!! It is really tough to completely change your lifestyle and you have been at it for 6 weeks! That's amazing :)

I avoided the eliptical at first. When I did start I only did 5 mins and worked my way up. There is nothing wrong if you only do 2 minutes. I can now stay on for 30 mins at a failry aggressive pace and high resistance, but that certainly didn't happen over night!

All the best.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    The elliptical takes practice, primarily because it is a very different motion than a treadmill or bike. It is all about the hips! Start at a slower speed until you get comfortable, but I promise once you figure it out, you will be hooked. I recommend dance music because it gets my hips moving and makes it easier for me to groove along! Now that I am an old pro, I can take my hands off and run while I shake my booty =) Once you get the hang of it, you can also reverse for a different muscle burn. Good luck!!

ETA: it is significantly lower impact on knees, "less bounce for the girls" as someone said earlier, and great for lifting and rounding your butt!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I hate the elliptical. I run a a lot of long distance runs, but I can't last a minute on the elliptical. The movement feels unnatural. I don't like that I can't keep my own stride length (the elliptical makes me feel like I'm doing the splits) and I hate holding the handles so far away from my body. I hate everything about it. It might just not be for you. Try something else.

Every elliptical is different. Have you tried other kinds?
  • LCastile
    LCastile Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I am able to walk/run for 60 minutes on a treadmill and burn 800+ calories so I consider myself to be in very good cardio shape. The eliptical is a different story - can barely finish 15 minutes. I'ive heard that it's best to mix up your workouts so I suggest starting out slowing on this machine. Maybe look at settings on the machine too and get help setting them to your abilities if you need. Supplement that day with some time on the treadmill if needed. Best of luck to you in your weight loss goals!
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    The amount of time that you work out is more important than the intensity for your purposes. It is more important that you elevate your heart rate to the fat burning range or so for 20-30 minutes, 3x per week consistently.
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Keep at it, eventually it will get easier. I love that machine, was rough at first, now I can do a hour easily, you can do it.

Goodluck

I completely agree w/ this. The first time I got on it, I thought, HOLY HELL, there's no way I can do this. I did 10 minutes, took a break, then did another 10 minutes. I couldn't believe how difficult it was. It got easier... And, as she stated above, I can now, easily, do an hour. You'll get there. Don't push yourself too much. Do what you can do, and keep walking and doing other things, until you can get the elliptical under control. :) You WILL do this!!! Good luck!!!
  • mstifb
    mstifb Posts: 230
    Options

Make sure the machine is adjusted to your height. That was my main problem when I first started. On the one I use there is a small wheel and you have to turn it to get the pedals closer together. If it's set for someone taller than you it will be almost impossible to get the hang of it. Ask someone to help you on it!
  • gdavidm
    gdavidm Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had about 200 pounds to loose and I started my work outs 8 months ago by using the elliptical. I found that it was the least stressful on my knees. I did however start with a very low incline and a low resistance. At that stage it was more about keeping a consistant pace and not letting myself get carried away. It does take some getting used to but the learning curve is steep and it will become easy to increase intensity once you get the hang of it. After a few months on that I felt like my knees could take more and then I added some treadmill work. Then I did couch to 5K and as of last weekend I have done 2 5K's and will do my first Sprint Tri at the end of October. It all started on the elliptical though. My pace if very slow but for me it is just about finishing and not doing it fast or looking good doing it. I still have over a 100 pounds to go so Iook forward to more improvements on time and technique as the weight continues to fall off.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    How many different kinds of Ellipticals do they have in your gym...? Mine has several different kinds... The "bouncy' ellipticals that attach at the top instead of the bottom are definately the easiest and most fun... try turning down the intensity... when I first started on the Ellipticals, I had the intensity only on level 1 in order to stay on for an hr... or... do another form of exercise that you can stick with while you are building up the muscles and resistance in order to be able to do the Elliptical or running or whatever you like to do later.