Strange! Eat more, exercise less and LOSE weight?

Options
I had been working out almost everyday since January 4, and eating fairly well (certainly WAY better than before Jan 4) and I had only lost 5.5 lbs. And didn't even have a loss last week!

My knee has been killing me so I haven't done my Slim in 6 workout since Friday, I binged on some junk food this weekend, didn't even do cardio yesterday (and went over my calorie allowance), and I'm down 1.5 lbs from last week!

How does that happen?

Replies

• egust01
    Options
    By the sheer grace of God...
  • Schula03
    Schula03 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I totally understand....happens to me all the time. I think sometimes your body just needs a break!!!! :)
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Ha! Agreed Elizabeth!
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    our bodies process things very differently from one another. I would not rely on this as a life style. When you're working out you're building muscle and replacing it for the fat, so you're weight loss on the scale will/could be less, but if you take your measurements - you will see the decline. make sure you're taking your measurements, muscle is more dense than fat, therefore taking up less space.
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You have increased your metabolism by building some lean muscle mass. If you continue to eat poorly and exercise less you won't loose weight, you'll gain it back! But this is why it's okay to have cheat days every once in while once you reach your goal weight and are just maintaining your weight :) Weight maintenence is much much much easier than weight loss. Think of it as the light at the end of the tunnel :happy:
  • debmom07
    debmom07 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean this has happened to me more than once. so weird.
  • crystal013
    Options
    I have no clue BUT the same thing happens with me. I weighed less when I DIDN'T work out. I generally eat the same way which is fairly healthy! The only thing I can think of is our muscles possibly swell and maybe working out everyday isnt always the best for our bodies.....
  • nickkehagias
    Options
    Not to rain on the parade, or to be a debbie downer; BUT, there is the chance that the reason you weren't "losing" weight, is because your workouts were building muscles while burning fat. Muscle weighs more than fat, and that is the biggest reason that weight loss is a poor determinate for your increase in healthy living :) It's possible that by taking a few days off, some of the muscles that are used to being working, and subsequently "swollen" with blood and proteins during the rebuilding process, may have shrank a bit during the few days of less-than-ideal fitness conditions.

Another possibility is that your body actually took advantage of a few days off to finish repairing itself and had to burn off more calories as a result or catalyst.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I've found this works well for me when I'm stuck in a plateau. I think it's the body's way of readjusting. The extra calorie intake is a shock to the system to get things moving again. Just make sure you're only doing it on the rare occasion and that it's not becoming a habit!
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    In my professional opinion, you ramped your metabolism up with the binge. If you really know your body, when you binge you may notice an increase in body temperature and heart rate. However, if you do this frequently, your body WILL turn off this wonderful mechanism of homeostasis and you will gain weight.

As far as building muscle and losing fat goes, you cannot replace fat with muscle. You can gain muscle and lose fat. Of course if you gain muscle, your metabolism is amped up as well. Incorpate a cheat meal ONCE/week to keep your body happy! Also, if you aren't consuming enough calories with your workouts your body will try and hold on to extra fat which will keep the scale from budging. In regards to the bingeing, if you increase your calories you will have much less of a desire to cheat! I promise. I increased my calories from 1200 to 1700 on lifting days and I've never looked better or felt more in control of what I put into my mouth!