Starting a new routine .

Options
I'm starting a new routine but I don't know where to start.
I walk/jog every night.

But I don't have any exercise equipment other than an ab circle, so what do you guys think I should do?
How should I start my new routine?

My current goal is to lose up to 190 for I can become "healthy" again >.>

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?
  • EA1604
    EA1604 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Congrats on deciding to change things. The easiest and cheapest way to try different workouts for me has been youtube. Search "befit" and a lot of different workouts come up. Most of them you can do in your home with little or no equipment. Good Luck!
  • MakingApril
    Options
    Opps sorry... my current goal is to lose up to 190 for I can become "healthy" again >.>
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    If I could encourage you to start a beginner weight lifting routine. Just 3 days a week. Why?

Lifting weights is KEY. I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! Also I believe it is why most people think I look much younger than I really am.

Girls, start lifting now. lift heavy and change it up often, find a lot of weight routines with free weights, make it fun, embrace it, make it part of your life. Only 3 days a week is all it would take. Crank up your tunes and learn to love it, because your body will love it and it will make your quality of life better in many ways, especially when you get older like me.

Because of this I don't have to worry about osteoporosis. If you wait until you are older and your bones start to deteriorate it's a bit too late, you can't get back what you lost, you can only start a resistance routine that will prevent further damage.

f you are a girl you don't have the hormones to get big naturally. I lift heavy and I'm still really tiny. My lean body mass is only 104 lbs and that is fairly heavy for a 5'1" female, and quite a bit of this is due to my having very dense bones from 30 years of lifting, not all muscle, and I'm still quite tiny.

My muscles really are not that big, but they show a lot of definition because I'm quite lean. If I gained some fat then I would have a softer more toned look (which is OKAY too!). Then if I gained more fat I would look bulking and hefty like I did most of my life until last year. YOU CAN HAVE WHATEVER YOU WANT. Lean and ripped, soft and toned, or hefty, it all depends on how much fat you leave on your body. Calories are the only thing that change fat. Exercise is for changing or maintaining your lean body mass only. Lifting weights will give you the best bang for your buck for shaping your body. I finally changed my shape by putting lifting first and cardio 2nd. You can not out exercise too many calories. I learned this the hard way ---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout
  • tugboating
    Options
    A great circuit to do when you dont have any equipment is the below.
    Using popular bodyweight exercises, this is quick, effective and easy to remember.

Perform 3 times a week, each week.
    Supplement 2 other days a week with jogging or walking and allow yourself 2 days of complete rest.

60 Jumping Jacks
    10 pushups
    10 walking lunges
    10 crunches
    10 burpees

Stop, rest 2 minutes and repeat
    Make sure you time yourself!

Week 1:
    Try to do it twice and finish up with a 5 minute cool down jog / walk

Week 2:
    Do the same thing as week one, but try and improve on your time

Week 3:
    Do it 3 times at the pace per circuit you performed at Week 1 (remember you are going to go slower, but you'll be doing more work)

Week 4:
    3 times while trying to improve your time.

Keep increasing every week until you can do the circuit 5 times.

GOOD LUCK!
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Since you don't have any equipment. I would suggest body weight strength exercises to add to your cardio. (And if you could change cardio up a bit with swimming and bicycling, it would help keep you from getting bored.)

Pushups
    Planks
    "Air" Squats
    Walking or stationary lunges
    Yoga (Sun salutation full asana)
    Calf raises (using a step)

If you can incorporate weight training, I would strongly recommend it. Building lean muscle mass will most certainly help.