Mountain Climbing

Options
I love love LOVE to climb mountains with my son and husband. Luckily, I live one hour away from Rocky Mountain National Park. It works out well!

My question is about weight gain after climbing. I've noticed on a few of the larger hikes/summits I've done this summer that I've gained a lot of weight in the week after climbing. It seems weird to me because I'm usually backpacking so 1) I burn a ridiculous number of calories and 2) it's really hard to pack in enough calories for me to even come close to eating them back! On my last trip this weekend, I couldn't even make it to my 2400 calories. I often am a little sick when hiking, especially when the altitude is high, so I focus on carrying lots of water and don't worry about eating so much.

One thing I wondered was water retention. I climbed about 4 miles on Sunday (about 1 mile of it largely vertical) in addition to a decent pack in/out, so I was pretty sore on Monday and Tuesday. Sore muscles retain water, so that could be it. But it's Thursday and I've actually gained more, despite not feeling sore at all.

I'm definitely not in panic mode--I actually don't typically weigh daily--but it's curious. I'm wondering if anyone has had the same experience. My diary is open if anyone wants a gander.

Replies

• iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I love love LOVE to climb mountains with my son and husband. Luckily, I live one hour away from Rocky Mountain National Park. It works out well!
    Just spent a week camping in the park in September. Love that place. (See my 2 most recent photos)
    I climbed about 4 miles on Sunday (about 1 mile of it largely vertical) in addition to a decent pack in/out, so I was pretty sore on Monday and Tuesday. Sore muscles retain water, so that could be it. But it's Thursday and I've actually gained more, despite not feeling sore at all.
    I think you're just seeing water retention from the stress on your muscles. You don't see it as much right away because you do tend to get a bit dehydrated during climbs and when you drink normally during the days after your body picks up some of the extra for muscle recovery. I saw the same thing you're describing this year. I was a few pounds heavier for a few days after I got back but then it dropped off and I found that i actually lost a pound or two once the water weight settled out.

Don't stress about it. If you're doing the trails in the park you're burning tons of calories. One day we did the hike up to the Keyhole route on Long's and Runkeeper estimated that I burned about 3,000 calories in just about 5 hrs. on that hike. I seriously doubt you're eating your daily net calories unless you're shoveling down trail mix by the handful constantly.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I see your target each day is 2300 - is that right? seems high if you want to lose weight.

Hiking in the hills with a pack for prolonged spells is going to use up plenty of cals for sure but maybe not just as much as you think. A 4 mile walk is not that far and without the climb maybe would use about 400 kcals.

The climb - are you saying you climbed a mile vertical or where you just going up for a mile of the 4? theres a big difference.

You might want to add on another 100kcals for every 500ft vertical you climbed. Lets say you climbed 2500ft - then you could add another 500 kcals. Add another bit for the rucksack and call it 1000 kcals for the outing. Equivalent of doing a 10 mile jog. What did you log for that outing?
  • connorsludge
    connorsludge Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just spent a week camping in the park in September. Love that place. (See my 2 most recent photos)

Don't stress about it. If you're doing the trails in the park you're burning tons of calories. One day we did the hike up to the Keyhole route on Long's and Runkeeper estimated that I burned about 3,000 calories in just about 5 hrs. on that hike. I seriously doubt you're eating your daily net calories unless you're shoveling down trail mix by the handful constantly.

That's what I'm thinking, too. It just seems weird to burn so much then gain! We actually did that same hike on Saturday and summitted Estes Cone on Sunday. My son is only 8, so we stay on the smaller mountains for now. Did you camp at Moore Park off the Long's trailhead? That's my favorite place in the park! Between the two days MFP thinks I burned about 4000 calories, but I really think their calculators aren't thinking about the Rockies when they say "Hiking--hills"! I forgot my HRM, but I don't think the battery wouldn't survived the cold overnight anyway.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I know that I always eat a lot when I get home from backpacking because I am so hungry from not eating much. Maybe for a couple days. Do you do that?
  • iWaffle
    Options
    Did you camp at Moore Park off the Long's trailhead? That's my favorite place in the park!
    We stayed in Moraine Park. Woke up one morning, got out of the tent and we were in the middle of a herd of about 40 elk.

Between the two days MFP thinks I burned about 4000 calories, but I really think their calculators aren't thinking about the Rockies when they say "Hiking--hills"! I forgot my HRM, but I don't think the battery wouldn't survived the cold overnight anyway.
    I just used my Runkeeper app on my phone. It doesn't calculate heart rate and it always shows lower calories than my Polar FT7. I doubt MFP has any clue what hiking above the timber line is like. I doubt they expect you to gain 2,000 feet in elevation on a 4 mile hike. In addition to the altitude and the gain on each climb I was carrying about 7 pounds of water and probably another 3 pounds of extra clothing/emergency rain poncho, and some additional food. Pack and everything we're talking about 10 - 15 pounds of gear. No, no way they figure that into their calculation.
  • iWaffle
    Options
    Hiking in the hills with a pack for prolonged spells is going to use up plenty of cals for sure but maybe not just as much as you think. A 4 mile walk is not that far and without the climb maybe would use about 400 kcals.
    Keep in mind these are not hills. We're talking about spending the night at close to 9,000 feet and hiking on trails up to around 13,000 feet. Do you know how hard it is to breath once you get up above 11,200 (timber line). There's a reason trees don't grow up there.

The little "hill" that's closest in this photo is Mt. Lady Washington. Over 13,000 feet at the top. The hill in the middle is Long's Peak. 14,255 feet above sea level. Open this in a new tab for a better view.

263928_4166345289653_714531220_n.jpg
  • connorsludge
    Options
    Yes, 2300 is high for losing weight! I was eating 1200 calories and it just wasn't enough, so I'm focusing on finding my top maintenance intake. I'm 30 years old and 5'9" or 5'10", so my BMR is pretty high anyway--almost 1900. Additionally, I bike commute, run, and lift weights, so there are a lot of calories to be burned. My ticker is set to a 29 pound goal, but I'm starting to suspect that I need less weight loss and more composition change.

I'd call the hike heavy/strenuous for 3 of the 4 miles. The first mile was active but pleasant hills and it was all uphill from there, with that last mile being a scramble and the last 1/4 mile a full on climb--much steeper than stairs. I run frequently and most of that climb rivaled a hard run. With the altitude, you really can't catch your breath without prolonged rest, if at all.

I did eat a pretty fatty meal after getting into town, but it wasn't huge--eggs, English muffin, and hash brown plate you'd get at any diner. Since then I've been eating regularly, but I did skip two runs this week due to soreness and inclement weather. I'm running a make up tonight and a long run Saturday morning, so maybe that'll burn off that water by the weekend!

Thanks and it's nice to hear from at least a few climbers! I wonder if there's a group on here...
  • connorsludge
    Options
    Keep in mind these are not hills. We're talking about spending the night at close to 9,000 feet and hiking on trails up to around 13,000 feet. Do you know how hard it is to breath once you get up above 11,200 (timber line). There's a reason trees don't grow up there.

The little "hill" that's closest in this photo is Mt. Lady Washington. Over 13,000 feet at the top. The hill in the middle is Long's Peak. 14,255 feet above sea level. Open this in a new tab for a better view.

263928_4166345289653_714531220_n.jpg

Amazing photo with some great "hills"! Yes, I think from that view Estes Cone is just to the right. It's right by Mount Lady Washington. My husband's family is very fortunate to be one of only a handful with a cabin in Moraine Park. We spend a couple weeks up there every year. My son and nephew know every stone on that moraine. I'm happy to meet someone else who's had the chance to appreciate that beauty!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Keep the pictures coming
  • iWaffle
    Options
    Keep the pictures coming

Somewhere, way above the timberline. Looking over the edge we could see a herd of elk in the valley below. They were just little specks of gray on green.

217851_4175400716033_1480571687_n.jpg