Feeling faint after exercise

Options
Hey everyone:

Often times when I work out, I'll get in the shower half an hour to an hour afterwards and start feeling light headed. I actually thought I was going to pass out a couple of nights ago. With that tends to come nausea, and I'll end up feeling really ill for a couple of hours and not want to eat anything. I eat a snack before working out, but am not sure if the cause is low blood sugar, or possibly low blood pressure? Maybe dehydration? My blood pressure is normally fairly low; I think it was 110/60 last time I was at the doctor.

In case this information is also helpful, I used to get dizzy and have my vision fade as soon as I stopped working out, like if I went from a run to a walk, suddenly my vision would vanish. This hasn't happened for quite awhile, though. I started drinking more water beforehand and it seems to work.

Has anyone experienced this and found a solution? I'll bring it up to my doctor next time I go, but if someone knows what it is, that'd be very helpful.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd wait to talk to the Dr;- I've heard of people being a little light headed as a result of dehydration, over-exertion and low blood sugar but the vision fading......that would have me at my Dr's office the next morning.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd wait to talk to the Dr;- I've heard of people being a little light headed as a result of dehydration, over-exertion and low blood sugar but the vision fading......that would have me at my Dr's office the next morning.

Thanks for commenting. Fortunately, since I've started drinking more water before working out, the vision fading has gone away. If that had continued I would definitely be going to the doctor ASAP. The rest of the problems mentioned are still happening, though.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could try a post workout / recovery snack right after you finish exercising, see if that makes any difference.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Low blood sugar or dehydration are certainly possibilities. Try having a little sugar immediately post-workout and see if it helps. If it doesn't, try lots of water.
  • SoDamnHungry
    Options
    That's a good idea, folks. Maybe I'll keep a granola bar in my car to eat on the way home, then wait until it's hard some time to get into my system before I shower.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    you would have to be working out pretty hard for over an hour to be dehydrated to the point you were feeling faint. Sounds more like blood pressure to me - so worth checking.

Always good to eat and drink as soon as possible after exercising. Common not to feel hungry immediately after exercise though
    as your body will have diverted blood away from your digestive system to your workout muscles.
  • SoDamnHungry
    Options
    you would have to be working out pretty hard for over an hour to be dehydrated to the point you were feeling faint. Sounds more like blood pressure to me - so worth checking.

Always good to eat and drink as soon as possible after exercising. Common not to feel hungry immediately after exercise though
    as your body will have diverted blood away from your digestive system to your workout muscles.

That's very interesting. So that's why I'm not hungry!
  • SoDamnHungry
    Options
    I tried eating some Jelly Bellies a little bit before getting into the shower and I felt a lot better than the last time. Not healthy, but a pretty quick way to get some sugar into my system.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I tried eating some Jelly Bellies a little bit before getting into the shower and I felt a lot better than the last time. Not healthy, but a pretty quick way to get some sugar into my system.

Personally I just have a jar of sugar, and I dole out a few tsp into my post-workout drink. Helps a lot. Candy works just as well in a pinch.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    do you eat a really low fat diet?
  • lhatt83
    lhatt83 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Do you have enough iron in your diet?
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too. I haven't found a good solution yet. For me, it often happens DURING exercise.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    sounds like dehydration symptoms
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Near-syncopal episode can be due to several things. Heavy exercise and dehydration will lower your BP. But there are other cardiac reasons as well (heart related). Best to check with your doc!
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Several things could be causing it. A doctor visit would be best.

It could be too low of sodium (you need some to function and it balances electrolytes. )

Low sugar

Dehydration (seriously, some days I drink like 15 cups of water when I work out a lot... when you sweat you need more, and you just need more period when you are exercising.)
  • kenmunson333
    kenmunson333 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Several years ago, I had to go see a cardiologist for a stress test (that's where they put you on a treadmill and gradually increase the speed and inclination until you're about ready to die while they measure your heart rate). Afterwards he told me not to take a hot shower for at least 3-45 minutes. When I asked why, he explained that when the body detects the hot water on the skin it automatically diverts blood flow from the inner tissues (muscles, brain, etc) to the skin to try to reduce the body's temperature. This can cause anything from light-headedness to unconsciousness or even a heart attack. Now that I work out extremely hard in the mornings, I always wait at least 30 minutes before taking a shower even if it means getting to work a little later than I'd really like. Being late for work is better than being lying in a shower unconscious or being dead.
  • squishymissay
    squishymissay Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    vison fading I think is a result of a low blood pressure--from dehydration. I've gotten that before. Seems like you are working out too hard. Perhaps drinking something like gatorade during your workout would help. I know if you workout too hard and lose too much sodium you can dehydrate.... although I think that is more likely to happen to a marathoner.
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me a lot - not so much recently, but I'm interested in what people have to say about it.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I just started eating more. I realized I wasn't eating enough. my workouts rock now. I have way more energy and feel great. Too little calories can easily cause this.
  • asticoral
    Options
    Make a doctors appointment, you should get a stress test done as well as a blood sugar test. Members here are NOT medically trained to diagnose via the web and your body is telling you something, please pay attention and seek the answers.