23 year old female in desperate need of help

Options
2»

Replies

• chrissylovescj
    chrissylovescj Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Never give up.. each day is a new day to make healthy choices!! You can do it!! Add me if you like :wink:
  • marcusg23
    Options
    Add me if you'd like. Trying to stay positive as well!
  • kel665
    kel665 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Do some activities that you enjoy so they don't feel like exercise.
  • fosterj333
    Options
    I agree, find a fun exercise and do it 3 - 4 times a week (bike riding is mine). I also do 1 or 2 other exercises weekly to cross train (usually strength training and Elliptical at Snap Fitness). But - I eat a little chocolate or ice cream or chips; but eat lighter meals early in the day. I almost always eat either a small chocolate bar, or a 4-8 ounce portion of ice cream, or some chips 4 - 5 times a week - and still I am losing weight.

What works for me is waiting until I am craving one of my 3 favorite so-called "bad" items, then I plan for it by eating a lighter breakfast and lunch and then exercising. I can not go forever without eating the things I really like, so I just plan around them. I don't even feel like I am dieting if I include the things I like regularly, because mentally I know I can have anything I really want occasionally.

WeIght loss is simple addition and subtraction: add extra calories you can eat by adding exercise, subtract what you eat. MFP.com is just our diary that lets us know where we are at for the day, so we can plan for the things you know you must have sometimes.

Good luck, we can all do this thing!
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Honestly sometimes its a matter of trial and error. eventually there will be the straw that broke the camels back.
    This is the best I've done in years, I just had to find what really works for me.

If you don't like waking up early (like myself) go to the gym at night. Yes, your going to have to sacrifice some things, like time with family and friends, but you'll feel better about yourself. The gym to me now ( I never thought I would say this) is something I look forward too. It's like an escape from the world and I get to focus on me. I love learning new things or beating old records on the stationary bike. At first it was hard to go, and I just tried not to think too much and just go. Once your there your in the clear. But now Its just my escape.

Eating healthy is tough at first too. I ate JUNK all day. Now I have a hard time reaching 1200 calories because the healthier food I've come to enjoy fills me up with fewer calories, and my stomach has shrunk.

If chocolate/sweets is your guilty pleasure, have healthier alternatives. Have a fiber or protein bar with chocolate. Go to the healthy section and there's lots of choices. Yesterday I ate a kashi par loaded with protein. Better than a kit kat bar right? Or I really like the coco powder almonds (almonds with chocolate powder on them in the nut section) or low fat fudsicles.

I felt the same way as you, but eventually I had enough. Now reaching my goal weight is more important than 300 calorie coffees and doritos and bagels. And once the number on the scale starts going down you'll probably get addicted.

good luck ;)
  • missbex24
    missbex24 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, too.

All of what everyone has said is wonderful, especially about finding exercise that you like and that isn't boring. There are so many different activities that you can do, DVDs, and exercise programs that almost anyone can find something that isn't boring. It will take time to find what you love, but try different things. I promise you that you will feel like you look silly doing some of it... Learn to laugh at yourself. Eventually you'll get the hang of it. Laughing will burn a few extra calories too. You'll think "I can't do this.." and want to give up. Don't listen to that voice. If you push yourself, you'll be surprised at what you can do and how much that will change your way of thinking.

Everyone ks right... Support is huge too. If you don't have people encouraging you and praising you for your accomplishments, it's a lot harder. It's about doing it for you, but we all need reinforcement from others sometimes. We all need people to talk to. Do not rely on the people who will try to bring you down. If someone says you won't or you can't do something, prove them wrong... Shut them up. There are "haters" out there but the people who honestly care about your journey (and less about their own body issues), will encourage you and support you.

A huge part of it is mental too. You have to WANT to really, honestly change ...forever. Make it more about a healthy way of living than a diet. Unless you are able to change your way of thinking, you probably won't be able to stick to something. I didn't track weight earlier in my 20s but I know that I gained and gained weight after high school and into college. When I was 23, just a few months out of college I was 340 pounds. That's my highest known weight. I spent most of my 20s between 285 and 315. Until I decided enough was enough and I was committed to making a change, all of my attempts to lose weight resulted in failure. I thought I wanted it, but obviously I didn't want it enough to make the changes and fight through the hard parts. Like any change, you have to be ready to change your lifestyle.

Hope that helps.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I will never get the help i need to do every time i exercise it gets so boring and then i go back to chocolate :( I don't know what to do anymore

1st drop the duckface
    2nd see #1
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I will never get the help i need to do every time i exercise it gets so boring and then i go back to chocolate :( I don't know what to do anymore

1st drop the duckface
    2nd see #1

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

1st drop the duckface
    2nd see #1

:heart:
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options

1st drop the duckface
    2nd see #1

Fantastical!
  • phillipstab1980
    Options
    I honestly think you have to be realistic. I have not taken anything anyway from my self food wise. If I take it away thats all I think about. Wht I learn to do is limit it. I just eat less until eventually it out of my diet. For instance, I used to crave pop. I never took it away from myself but I knew I wanted to increase my water. There was no room for pop because I was drinking 8 or more glasses a day. Before I knew it I hadn't drank pop for 3 weeks. I am happy to say I don't crave it anymore if I have one its because I want it not because I just have to have it.

You have to find what works for you and just go with it. I find that when I am discouraged about exercising I look at the accomplishments on here about ppl that have lost weight and I mean like 50lbs, 150lbs. Those ppl are huge inspirations for me because I know it can be done. add me if you like I feel like u need ppl who have the same goal in mind of losing weight!!! Just think how awesome we're gonna look real soon!!! :glasses:
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options

You have to want it. You have to see that it works and be happy about the victories and ride the victories to the next. Put symbols up around the house that represent what you want, put happy stickers on a calendar for all good forward days. I used to put pictures up of clothes I wanted to fit into someday. Set up your physical environment for success, don't keep trigger foods in your house. During my first year of weight loss I had some homemade almond roca type candy stashed. Every once in a while I would eat a pretty big hunk of it (I wasn't counting calories yet), but I was losing weight by eating smaller portions. Every time I at the candy I gained a couple of pounds and it took me awhile to lose it, and after awhile I stopped doing it. But later when I started counting calories on here I learned to "budget in" those treats so I would not go insane. You can have a little chocolate within your calorie budget and lose weight. You can have everything you want, just not all at once. Many times I wanted more or something and would tell myself I could have some more tomorrow and I'd wait. I only eat foods I love, life is too short, and calories are too precious to waste on foods you don't like, so I always want more, even in maintenance now I'm tempted. But I can have more tomorrow because nothing tastes as good as being the fittest, strongest, and leanest I've ever been in my life at almost 52 and giving up my dream life right now.

My story --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

Recent fun exciting things happening, I will be in Oxygen, I will be giving fitness talks (all volunteer at this point), and I'm having the time of my life. My husband says in middle age I got a 2nd chance at youth --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/752246-i-m-afraid-to-try-an-new-weight-lifting-program-now
  • Sasha198
    Sasha198 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Dont give up, find a exercise that you find fun and do ir at least 3 times per week,
    Swimming, dancing, walking, cycling, etccc
    dont give up girl :-)
  • skinnyjean4me
    skinnyjean4me Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    U can do it! Get rid of all the chocolate in the house first. Give to the neighborhood kids or the grocery store cashier when ur buying ur veggies and fruit with a really really good fat free dip :happy: Second get a support group, there are a ton of great ones here on MFP and then add a ton of friends and make ur diary public to ur friends so they can help hold u accountable for what ur are doing and eating! (Feel free to add me). Lastly find something u like. i hate to excercise but I love to dance so i got Zumba for the Wii. Then i realized that i like to walk (either with my hubby or the dog or by myself with music playing in my ears) then cause all my MFP friends liked it and had great results I started Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred (youtube) ,....... see the avalanche of how everyone on here helps .... and motivates! Now get rid of the chocolate and the i cant attitude then READY SET GOOOOO! :tongue:
  • megamie
    megamie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I found something to motivate me to keep me going. I found chocolate that I could have and stuck with it. The skinny
    ice milk sandwiches work great as treats after working out as long as I stay within my calorie count. Try finding fruit
    that you love too.

Just keep going and when you can wear clothing that you never thought would ever fit again(like i just did!) it will
    all be worth it. I still haven't met my goal, but I feel so much better and you will too.

Feel free to add me as a friend!! GOOD LUCK!:happy:
  • Timehope
    Timehope Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Exercising (or doing anything at all) just because it is supposed to be good for you is not only boring, it is very hard work. It's usually better to work smart than very hard.

A trick my friends and I use is to somehow always manage to trap ourselves by committing to a future event -- a bike tour, a modest triathlon, a 5K run. It helps to do it with others so you will be embarrassed if you back out. You may put off training at first -- denial -- but that's OK. Do the event anyway and then when you finish you will tell yourself very urgently " next time I am training a LOT more!" Find a way to get trapped into two or three of these a year ... And pretty soon you are exercising most days.

A Danskin Triathlon -- they are scattered around the country -- is a perfect way to start. Supportive atmosphere, not too rigorous -- and no one cares how fast you are.

But until you make it such a habit that it is like taking a shower -- you just do it -- setting specific goals is almost the only way to get started. Hope this helps!
  • taytaylynn3
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well!!!

I will try to motivate you as much as possible
  • Yankees242
    Yankees242 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Add me - I’ll try to help

I hate exercising too so instead I just made sure I was walking everywhere I went. I also started playing basketball on the weekends like I used to.

Good Luck!!
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    To me, weight loss is 90% mental. If you can get a little OCD on watching what you eat and exercising regularly, then it starts happening. You start seeing the dial move on the scale and you get hooked. That's what keeps me going. Seeing success begets success.