My little "fat gremlin"

Options
So, I just joined this site and I am REALLY hoping that it will help me get back on track and get focused again. I have lost 70 lbs since last FEB and I have worked SO hard to get that weight off. Now, it seems like I have this awful little fat gremlin in my head telling me "it's okay to eat this or that" and little-by-little the weight that I worked so hard to lose, is starting to creep back on!! I have gained ten pounds since NOV. I have another twenty pounds to go to FINALLY be at my goal weight and I am self-sabotaging myself! It's almost as if my head is telling me that "I don't deserve to lose the weight, that I don't deserve to be healthy and thin!" I really don't understand where my motivation has gone and I am hoping to find the strength to kick out my "fat self" attitude and finally reach my goals. Has any one else had this problem? How do you get rid of self-sabotaging, negative thoughts about weight loss???

Replies

• I could have written this post almost exactly! In Nov I fell off the wagon and 10 pounds have put themselves back on me. I've worked really hard to get where I am but I'm self sabotaging as well thinking ok, I can eat this or that and it's making me nuts. I've lost my motivation and can't find it anywhere...which is so silly b/c losing that much weight is such an accomplishment (and 70 pounds, holy awesome!!) Anyways, I'm right there with you. If you figure it out, let me know!! :P Just wanted you to know you're not alone.
  • veggieheadie
    Options
    Thanks----I'm glad to know that I'm not alone! Seriously, getting back on the wagon almost seems more difficult than starting in the first place. I kept telling myself that it was just holiday gain, but it's WAY past the holidays and I'm still struggling to put the donuts and ice cream down. LOL. I think this site will help.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I know what helps me is I pray. I don't know if you believe in that. But I do everynight!!! He helps me to keep on going.
  • mayhem1969
    mayhem1969 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss. PHENOMENAL!!!! Continue to concentrate on what you have and not on what you have failed to accomplish. There are really two things I see on this site that I find most stressing. First, many people begin a weight loss program by choosing a diet plan (read fad), that concentrates on denying yourself the things we like. (i.e., sweets, carbs, etc.) The second thing is significant daily calorie cuts, usually paired with excessive exercise. (i.e., 6 days at the gym, 2 hour training sessions, etc.) If you do either of these, I guarantee that you will lose weight, probably a lot of weight. I also guarantee that over the long term you will be unable to sustain your efforts and you will gain the weight back, plus some more for good measure.

What I like about this site, and what I think is the key to longer more sustainable weight loss, is not a drastic reduction in calories, but a slower more moderate return to acceptable calories. By that I mean, following a daily calorie plan that allows for room to eat the foods you like in moderation, while ultimately losing weight over time. I would start with breakfast. Eat a sensible small breakfast and plan for some snacks later on in the day. Eat smaller portions of the things you like. Be conscious of what is going into your mouth. Understand, that you WILL eat unhealthy foods at times. Understand, that you WILL go over your daily calories at times. Try to get back on track as soon as possible. Exercise in moderation, as part of your life, and not as some destination (i.e., the gym). You will lose weight, maybe just not so fast.

More importantly, tell the fat gremlin to kiss your "you know what." You lost 70 freaking pounds ignoring the little monster. He is there to sabotage you, to make you feel guilty, and to make you quit. Take little steps, one at a time, and you will get back on track. I know. Many of us have been through the same thing as you.

Good luck.
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, You can have this and you can have that!! Now that youve had that what are you going do to even out the scale. I was having trouble with this and realy struggling for the last couple of week. Then someone told me to nock it off. Lol sounds sooo simple and I am still struggling. Try to remember this is a lifestyle change (diet is a BAD word to me). I can have the treats and the differant meals but on occasion. Honestly I had a cookie this morning, but went for a walk on my lunch to balance my calories. Will I have a cookie tomarrow? No! Dont forget where you came from. Youv lost alot of weight, and you can keep going!!!!
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Fat Gremelin took over 2 years ago and I gained back everything I had lost. I'm on my way back down. Don't let it happen to you, seriously, suckiest feeling ever!