Feeling a little discouraged....

Options
Hi everyone,

Over the last two years I have lost 70 pounds, but the first 50 was a combination of basically starving myself. However, in May I decided that I wanted to completely change my lifestyle, not just lose the weight. I have been focusing on eating clean (for the most part) and getting fit. I have been eating between 1200-1500 calories a day and exercise 6 days a week. I completed The 30 Day Shred, then Ripped in 30, and now I am finishing Phase 2 out of 3 from Jillian Michaels' Body Revolution program (I like Jillian if you can't tell). On average I am losing .5 - 1 pound per week. Some weeks I won't lose anything, I may even gain. Then the following week I may lose 3 lbs. It is very frustrating and I was just wondering if this sounds normal. I'm going to stick with this because I feel so much better and I keep telling myself that EVENTUALLY I will have to get to a healthy weight range. BTW I am 5'5 and 165 lbs. My heart rate monitor is saying I'm burning between 400- 600 calories during my 30 minute workouts. I also have a cheat day, which is more like a cheat meal because after we eat a heavy lunch we are pretty much done for the day. I know people either swear by cheat days or absolutely hate them. I feel like they are important in helping me not feel deprived, but sometimes I will gain 4 lbs. from that one meal and it won't come off until 2 weeks later. I'm not a closet eater, this is literally one meal with an appetizer usually. Does all of this sound like normal weight loss problems? Do you have any advice to help me do better? ANY advice y'all could give me would be GREATLY appreciated. If anyone has met their goal and maintained it for any period of time would be especially helpful. Thanks so much for your time!!!!!!

Replies

• Evey_bee
    Evey_bee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This all sounds pretty normal to me! I try not to weigh myself any more than once or twice a week because weight can fluctuate a bit anyway. I'm not really for cheat days, but i think it's personal preference, people should do what they feel works for them. Although one meal making you gain 4lbs then taking 2 weeks to lose it seems a little far out there? Does this normal happen or was it a one time thing?
  • drakechic08
    drakechic08 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    A gain of 4 lbs from a cheat meal is normal as it is most likely water weight. You probably take in more carbs and sodium during this meal, so you are probably just retaining water. Yes, it is very normal to fluctuate like this. You can fluctuate up to 5lbs day to day. It sounds like everything is right on track, so keep doing what you are doing! You are doing gerat!
  • Rinkydink84
    Options
    It all depends on what I eat. However, I can't really predict it. Once I ate sushi and gained 7 pounds, but I figured it was because it was a sodium and carb heavy meal. Last Saturday I ate a bacon cheeseburger, french fries, 3 potato skins, and self serve frozen yogurt. That was my food intake for the day. The next day I gained 4 lbs and have only lost 2 of the 4 almost a week later. I don't understand how I can gain that much from one meal when I also exercised that day.