Americans and sauna?

Chrysopteron
Chrysopteron Posts: 57 Member
Hey everyone,

my workout for yesterday was swimming a mile in 45 minutes (BTW, can anyone tell me how many calories I burnt with that, approximately?). After, I rewarded myself by joining my boyfriend in the sauna of the public pool we were at. Because it was our national holiday yesterday (I'm German), it was quite busy and one of the saunas was definitely crowded - we actually joked about having to sit in each others laps if anyone else wanted to squeeze in.
And all of a sudden I realized that in all the time I spent in the U.S. (well over a year in total) the subject never came up with anyone.

So, you U.S. Americans: Do you have saunas? Are there a lot of them? Are there any special rules because everyone is naked (because in my experience, laws in the States freak a lot about being naked when in Europe it's considered the normal state of affairs in certain situations...)?

Thanks, I'm really curious!

Replies

• meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Was in the sauna today... ok, in Germany, but I swear we had them in California. Mostly at ski resorts, camping places, or health clubs... basically anywhere in the mountains where it's not a gazillion degrees.

As for attire? We would usually go in towels or swimsuits. Never remember going completely bare in the US, but I don't know if that was a rule, or just us.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    We have saunas... you can even get one for your house if you like... Usually people wear at least a towel though, as far as I know...
  • Chrysopteron
    Chrysopteron Posts: 57 Member
    stil interested...

...hmmmm...

should've titled it something potentially misleading like "nudity"... ; )

EDITED: Sorry, was correcting math homework in between, so couldn't see the answers before posting! Thanks guys!