Celiac Disease

Options
I was just recently diagnosed with celiac disease. (Three days ago). I don’t know if anyone has any insight on this. I am meeting with a dietitian in November. Until then I need some help! I am to uncertain and unknowing to buy foods that don’t come with the label Gluten-Free all ready on it. Since I have been on the gluten free diet, I haven’t eaten any meat what-so-ever. I just don’t feel confident in purchasing items that don’t all ready say gluten-free. I don’t know if anyone has any tips for shopping.

I don’t feel like I am eating healthy at all right now. I have just been eating chex cereal and frozen yogurt. I had an egg today with a froze gluten free waffle.

Replies

• Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    " Since I have been on the gluten free diet, I haven’t eaten any meat what-so-ever. " <~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~WAIT. WHY?
  • valolerie
    valolerie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Meat is OK, as long as nothing is added to it like breading, marination etc. Basically the risk will come from things like bread, processed food, etc. You need to read the ingredients on non-whole foods and see if gluten/wheat is listed as an ingredient.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Why no meat? Unless its processed, any meat it okay, just make sure its fresh, all natural, with no fillers, added broth, etc. You have a very wide variety on a gluten free diet, just steer clear of wheat, barley, & rye, just read the labels, if any of these items are listed, dont buy it. Only buy oats that are gluten free too, Bobs Red Mill has some. Ancient Harvest has some awesome tasting gluten free pasta, and for grains, choose quinoa, & brown rice. All veggies are good to go too. A lot of fast food joints are off limits too, since they put a coating on their french fries and share the deep fryer with breaded products. There are a TON of gluten free cooking websites online that you should look for. My nephew has a very severe case of celiac, so we have learned a lot about how to feed him.
  • MGMum
    MGMum Posts: 29
    Options
    You can eat meat, but I'd be careful with reading labels on deli meat. You want to avoid malt in processed foods too. It's overwhelming at first, but soon you'll have a handle on it. Fresh fruit and veg you don't need to worry too much about. It's packaged food you want to be careful with.

Try some websites, for information.
    www.celiac.com
    www.allergicliving.com
    http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.ca

Lots of cooking blogs feature gluten free foods or modifications to make them gluten free.
    www.skinnytaste.com
    http://stephanieodea.com/ <-- She has lots of gluten free stuff in her crockpot section.

Don't be afraid to call the companies and ask them if their products are GF. You can't go a month eating what you're currently eating, so don't be afraid to eat something if it's not from a box and it's not bread, pudding, cake, cookies etc.

Good luck!
    Bev
  • kelsb3211
    kelsb3211 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have celiac too and if you stay with fresh fruits, veggies, dairy, and non breaded meat then you are safe. Read your labels not just the ones that say gluten free but the ingredients list its daunting at first but you will start to learn brands and foods that are gluten free. Stay away from modified food starch unless its specified made from corn. For starches potato and corn products are ok so you can use those as substitutes. Stay away from processed foods they almost always have wheat in them. Do some research online if you type in celiac disease there are hundreds of sites with information. It will be slow and daunting at first but give it time you will adjust. Good Luck in a few weeks you will be feeling like a new you!!
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Don't wait for an appointment in November, do some online research or get a book from the library about eating gluten free. There are lots of foods you can eat. Check out the following link for some general advice on foods you can and can't eat
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gluten-free-diet/My01140
  • dlynnkind
    dlynnkind Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Here is another blog, with lots of GF recipes. Good luck.

http://mommyimhungry.blogspot.com/
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    " Since I have been on the gluten free diet, I haven’t eaten any meat what-so-ever. " <~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~WAIT. WHY?

This^... Gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye, and barley. Period. I would recommend working with an RD (which you said you are doing in Nov.) and also go to some celiac web sites. Google "celiac" and "gluten free diet" and you will find several good web sites.
  • tiddyd
    tiddyd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the Celiac community! It's really hard at first. I remember just eating ice cream and corn tortillas. But the end result made me a better cook and baker! When I first was diagnosed, I had just started out at college, so being in the dining hall was really overwhelming. I was used to eating sandwiches and pasta. I started eating grilled chicken breast with brown rice and grilled zucchini. Or baked sweet potatoes with chili. Or a burger wrapped in lettuce, or an omelette.

As most people said, most meat is totally fine. Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? They have a lot of things that are naturally gluten-free and labeled well. It's cheaper and less overwhelming than Whole Foods for gluten-free stuff. I go there and buy frozen raw chicken, fresh veggies, quinoa, soups, rice, gluten free granola, meringue cookies, even gluten free pasta for when I'm treating myself. Regular grocery stores now have lots of gluten free products, but it's sometimes overwhelming to find them. A lot of places put the gluten-free stuff in the "natural" section, which is fine, but there are a lot of regular products out there that are GF anyways! I recommend starting with the naturally gluten free things – corn tortillas, brown rice, quinoa, vegetables, meats (most cold cuts by the Columbus brand (TJs), Applegate Farms and Boars Head (Whole Foods) are labeled GF), fruit, beans, nuts. I substituted my love for Ramen for Thai rice noodle soups!

You'll realize that a lot of delicious things are naturally GF! Then, you can work your way into the gluten-free substitute stuff, like breads, pastas, wraps, etc. A lot of gluten free snacks like that are not very nutritious though (sometimes even less nutritious than regular breads :() so I always try to just keep it natural. The one thing that's super unfortunate is that most soy sauce (which is in so many yummy dressings and sauces) is not gluten free.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions! There are a lot of crappy GF products out there, but lots of good info out there to help you decide.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Logic says you shouldn't worry about gluten with meat, but gluten is insidious. You might want to check with the butcher at your market about the meat, especially chicken. Many brands actually inject chicken meat with a solution that contains gluten, and it's not labeled as such.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I recommend you pick up a copy of Gluten Free for Dummies. A very good book that I think you will find very helpful. Cross contamination is always a risk. We have dark counters at home and for a while my number one "glutening" was picking up stuff off the counters at home. Not so much an issue with not having your kids any more. :)

As for label reading: Wheat has about 200 names but when the label does not call out wheat as an allergen that, for the most part, eliminates wheat in that food. Barely and rye tend to be fairly straight forward and you can usually spot them easily in ingredients

And be prepared to *maybe* gain weight. My doctor advised with I was diagnosed that most of his patients put on a few pounds since they were no longer flushing the food through the system. I did not have that problem but did find I needed to keep an eye on what I was eating a bit more
    I was just recently diagnosed with celiac disease. (Three days ago). I don’t know if anyone has any insight on this. I am meeting with a dietitian in November. Until then I need some help! I am to uncertain and unknowing to buy foods that don’t come with the label Gluten-Free all ready on it. Since I have been on the gluten free diet, I haven’t eaten any meat what-so-ever. I just don’t feel confident in purchasing items that don’t all ready say gluten-free. I don’t know if anyone has any tips for shopping.

I don’t feel like I am eating healthy at all right now. I have just been eating chex cereal and frozen yogurt. I had an egg today with a froze gluten free waffle.
  • jnoring
    jnoring Posts: 93
    Options
    Logic says you shouldn't worry about gluten with meat, but gluten is insidious. You might want to check with the butcher at your market about the meat, especially chicken. Many brands actually inject chicken meat with a solution that contains gluten, and it's not labeled as such.

I contacted my butcher today and he recommended only grass fed beef. I looked online and that seems to be a great controversy in the gluten free world. I would love to only eat grass fed beef but alas I am a poor college student. Do you or anyone else know if that is actually necessary?
    I also just spent the last 3 hours emailing at least 30 different food vendors and asking them if they have gluten free products, or if their products contain gluten. Although most did not give me a straight answer.
    Another random question. Since I have found out that I have a gluten intolerance do I need to use, gluten-free make-up and soap products?
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I have never been concern with grass fed meats so I do not think that is a true concern. You do need to watch any product that you might ingest. Wheat based shampoo can be an issue if you end up getting some in your mouth. The reality is that an occasional glutening stinks, but it will not hurt you in the long run. Many companies are careful what they say for legal reasons. You'll see "manufactured in a facility that also has wheat" as a common disclaimer. As long as it is a reputable company I've not had any issue
  • jnoring
    jnoring Posts: 93
    Options
    Good to know! I think I just will need to get some gluten free hand lotion then. I would hate to throw all my stuff out!
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options

Wow, that is some interesting information. I have never heard of this, but will certainly check it out. Sometimes it is scary what we don't know about the food we eat.