Anyone else feel like they are truly addicted to food?

Options

Replies

• BridgetMiko
    BridgetMiko Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I completely feel this way. Sometimes I look at someone's small meal portion and just think, "Wow, how is that enough for them to fill them up? What's wrong with me?" The worst is how that leads me to feeling jealous and frustrated. Why do I have to log everything I eat and put constant thought into it? Why can't I just have a small appetite and an urge to move around and be athletic? You can't let that eat you up though. We're all different with different struggles.
  • kathicooks
    kathicooks Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    For the other posters, the board is for motivation and support, not snarky comments.

Sure, I think many of us have weight issues that are psychologically tied to food. We either use it as a reward, or as a motivator, as a comfort, when we are bored. Success at getting past this is all about breaking the connections. I use food to show people I love them, and then I partake because I'm a really good cook (just bragging a little!) A year ago I was diagnosed as T2, so my new challenge was to cook foods everyone would still rave about, but it would be healthy foods, and portions would be better controlled.

Think in terms of unlimited steamed veggies, somewhat limited fruits (more limits for me as T2), plenty of lean (emphasis on lean) proteins, and then really think about fats and carbs...how can you get the flavor without the fats and carbs? And don't forget to look at the type of fats you are eating...healthy fats are not as big a no-no as trans fats. See if you can get rid of refined carbs. Head for whole grains but even then, remember there are lots of calories there. Go wild with spices and herbs! Don't ever deprive yourself of flavor. But plan, plan, plan...plan every meal. Prepare as much as you can at home to take to work the next day. I pre-log much of what I eat in a day the night before. Stops me from splurging too often - but note that I said "too often" since the occasional splurge is ok.

If you eat more mindfully, you'll stop food from being an addiction.
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Now I know I am not only one who feels this way!!!!! How do we stop it?!?!?! If I try to give stuff up I binge BIG TIME. Then if I limit...eventually the limit gets higher every time!
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm definatelt addicted to overeating. It's a daily battle, but gets easier over time. Not to say I don't still have slip ups, because honestly, it's not like you can just quit eating all together, so in my opinion is harder than it was to give up drinking. I don't need alcohol to live, so I just make sure I'm not around it, same would go with smoking. We need food, you can't just decide you're not going to have any food in the house, and stay away from any place that sells food. You can control it, it's just really hard. I think for me what has been the best help is making my food diary public and logging everything I eat. When I know other people can look at what I'm eating, I'm a lot less likely to buy food and eat in the corner of the parking lot so no one will know. They will know, because I'm going to log it, and I'm going to complete my entry at the end of the day so that every one can see that I got myself a shake, fries, and fried chicken sandwich with mayo. Yikes, that makes me think twice and then some more!

Edited for spelling
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    i don't believe in food addiction. I believe in food obsessions.
  • 10morekgtogo
    Options
    Yes, or well, acutally addicted to sugar I think. I am a typical person with binge eating disorder. None of my friends would guess there's something wrong because I can eat normal portions and I also mostly eat healthy stuff. But then I get triggered by anything and go buy insane amounts of food - fatty and very very sugary - and eat all of it in like one or two hours. It's about 2000-4000 calories!!
    I've tried so much - giving up, pretending not to care, fighting the urge, restricting, ... Now I'm researching how to stop that. I learned that it's definitely the sugar that messes with my body. I need to get over sugar addiction and then I'm sure I will be able to stop bingeing and food addiction in general.
  • AlexandriaSykes
    AlexandriaSykes Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Dont know if I would say I'm addicted to food but I am so totally an emotional eater. Anything can trigger stress eating for me. There have been times that I would go through a drive thru on my way home for a "treat". I would then hide the evidence and go home to eat dinner as usual with my husband! I know this is not normal behavior and have never told anyone this before because it's embarrassing. I wanted to say something since I noticed there weren't any replys yet. We are all struggling with something and for many of us on mfp it's food related. I find that whenever I need a boost I can go to the community and know that I am not alone! And neither are you. Keep up the effort because it is worth it, and feel free to add me to your friend list if you need another buddy :)
    \

This is me right now- im so glad to see someone else do what i do- i keep telling myself COMMON ALEX yo can do this- but its so hard my husband and his family eat tons but he still has a 6 pack (does construction) i truly believe if theres a will theres a way and im trying to have the will ;)
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    i don't believe in food addiction. I believe in food obsessions.

Phraseology is the minor part of this problem. Disordered eating, which makes you eat types and/or quantities of food that you would rather not eat, is the problem.

Edit: commas, for readability.
  • psull13
    Options
    I am addicted to suger!! Cookies , Ice cream youname it
  • bsmcdonald0513
    bsmcdonald0513 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is technically correct to say we are addicted to food, as food is a requirement of the human condition. However, we can be obsessed with over eating, or too much sugar, or the emotional comfort food provides. No one can ever get over "food addiction" without dying.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm not qualified to say if it's an addiction or not -- but I definitely have a problem with emotional eating. For example, last night I did pretty well at curbing the late-night senseless (not-truly-hungry) munchies, and was feeling pretty good. Then my daughter woke up and had a massive temper tantrum about going back to bed -- and suddenly I was RAVENOUS.
    The good news is, I'm recognizing more and more of these moments for what they are. Sometimes I give in, sometimes I don't...but at least I'm learning, and I hope to keep doing better.
  • nkeathley
    Options
    I am completely addicted to food, mostly fast food. I crave it and then always give in to the temptation. Then I will tell myself it will be the last time, then do it again. I will beat this though, it's crazy how I let something so temporary control me.
  • JennaR30
    JennaR30 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same way, I really do think I am addicted to food. I think food is the hardest addiction to stop too because it is something that you can't fully stop having unlike any hard drugs where you can fully stay away from it and not need just a little bit to survive ugggg :(
  • GrammyPammy145
    GrammyPammy145 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes yes! But the good new! If you stay away from the bad food, it loses it's power. Like an alcoholic, I stay away from anything white, fried, or sugar... any sugar unless it's honey, 100% pure maple syrup or fruit. If I have it.. I want more and more. Your brain releases dopamine when you eat those foods, so you want more and more. I did a 30 sugar detox... first week and half were bad!!! but afterward, I was fine.. didn't want it, didn't need it. You can do it too!!
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to food. I think about it constantly and I never get full.

However, I can live with and manage my addiction. I don't think it will every leave me, but I accept that this will be a lifelong commitment. I consider myself gifted in many respects (looks, smarts, finances, etc.) so I just consider this a small but constant burden to bare.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    If you look at the definition of an addiction, then yes, I must admit that I have had an addiction to certain foods, mostly sweet/salty simple carbs. And yes, the way the sugar reacts in your brain is definitely a physical reaction that can become an addiction. No one seems to be addicted to broccoli or grilled chicken.

I broke the addiction by eliminating all simple sugars and simple carbs from my diet. I know it sounds hard, and it is at first, but for me, once I made it past 2 days without the simple carbs, it got a LOT easier.

I am not a binge eater, but am more of a grazer. Certain foods I cannot have in the house, or I know I will sneak a little of it, then a little more, then before I know it I am craving every carb I can get my hands on.

To clarify, I do still have one or two servings of fruit a day and I eat all the high fiber, non starch veggies I want. High proteins and good fats- such as nuts and avocados, keep me from feeling hungry or fatigued. And my arthritis pain is about a third of what it was before I got the sugar out of my diet. Lots of energy, no more major mood swings.
  • Presleyforpresident
    Options
    right here :sad:

when i get that urge to eat i just have to tell myself that i'm not REALLY hungry, it's just my brain wanting to eat something. i tried chewing gum but that just pissed me off.
    i think you have to learn just how to be stronger than the urges.
  • klkutz1405
    klkutz1405 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm really bad about just sitting around eating junk when I'm at home and I'm bored. And sugary treats used to get me all the time. Losing weight has definitely helped me be motivated not to eat so much junk. And I've found if I want something sweet black or red grapes hit the spot most of the time.
  • adnol_2
    adnol_2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I hear you. It is a constant battle everyday. Sometimes I win and sometimes I lose, but I am not going to give up the fight. Just look for support and try to do better.:cry:
  • Hezmia
    Hezmia Posts: 19
    Options
    I see lots of people posting about sugary foods and other particular things that they crave or can't pass up. For me it is all food that tastes good. I eat too much of anything that I like the taste of and can't seem to stop when I'm satisfied. I need to be full.