Baby Shower?

Options
LiliWray
LiliWray Posts: 101 Member
When did you, or when do you plan on, having your baby shower? Before or after the baby's arrival?

Replies

• beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Well, typically other people plan the shower (usually your mom, sisters, close friends). I would think before baby's arrival, there's stuff you'll need for when the baby arrives.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Whatever works the best for the mommy and her husband/children.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I had one before and one after. My mom had an adoption fall through and it kinda scarred her so she really wanted the shower to be after. Not sure why but it worked for us. Normally, its like 7-7 1/2 months. You dont want to be 9 months pregnant, super uncomfortable or go into labor early. Plus, you need time to plan and put away the goodies.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    A month before.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I believe they are usually done 1-2 months before depending on the schedule of the mom and dad and the people planning it.

If mom is a first-time mom, it's really helpful to have it before so she has stroller, car seat, etc. before the baby comes.
  • ktrauzzi
    ktrauzzi Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've seen both. I did mine before -- around 8 months. I didn't feel comfortable with so many people passing around my small baby. Also, the last baby shower I went to was a double one with my SIL and a friend of hers and her friend was clearly struggling with postpartum depression. It was very uncomfortable. Ultimately it's up to you! :D
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I didn't have one.

Most of the ones I've been to were before delivery. I always gift diapers and/or swaddling blankets, sometimes formula when I know exactly what type to get.
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My mom is planning mine 3 months ahead of my due date. We would have done it 2 months before my expected due date, but she already had a trip to Florida planned for the month of November. We also didn't want to do it i December because its already crazy with Christmas...and then by the time January rolls by, I would either be exhausted or ready to pop!

I prefer doing it early so I can get the presents and then buy the stuff I really still need on my own.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I believe they are usually done 1-2 months before depending on the schedule of the mom and dad and the people planning it.

I want to throw you a MFP baby shower!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    My friends/coworkers/church have always planned mine. They've been before baby has gotten here.
    But I have had friends who have preferred to wait til after baby's birth.
  • greenbox06
    greenbox06 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    We had ours planned before the babies were born. However the kiddos were born 3 months early and it ended up being after. It was kind of nice to have it after because all of the visiting family was able to go to the NICU and see the kiddos. But as first time parents it is nice to have those necessities before they go home.
  • LilyWellspring
    LilyWellspring Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think it's more logical to have a baby shower before the baby is born, because some of the baby shower gifts are especially of help for a mother struggling with a newborn and it's better to have most of the things you'll need as soon as possible.