I Need HELP HELP HELP!!

Options
Does anyone know what I am talking about, because I can't really explain it. I am HORRIBLE with fractions, but I need the ability to convert my foods into MFP according to my servings...Like "Calorie Count" does if it exsist in its base...Do you understand what I am asking?

Replies

• julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Not really..
  • lindsiswatchingyou
    lindsiswatchingyou Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Do you mean changing 1/4 cup into .25? I recommend going into Excel and making a chart. Tape it to your computer or put it in your wallet and you'll always have it.
    Is this what you need:
    1/8 = .125
    1/4 = .250
    1/3 = .333
    3/8 = .375
    1/2 = .500
    5/8 = .625
    2/3 = .667
    3/4 = .750
    7/8 = .875
  • TaliaP77
    Options
    There is a website called "Calorie Count" if the food you've eaten is in there, it has the ability to tell you how much of the Nutritional Value was for the portion that you ate...but their database is slim. Understand now?
  • TaliaP77
    Options
    Do you mean changing 1/4 cup into .25? I recommend going into Excel and making a chart. Tape it to your computer or put it in your wallet and you'll always have it.
    Is this what you need:
    1/8 = .125
    1/4 = .250
    1/3 = .333
    3/8 = .375
    1/2 = .500
    5/8 = .625
    2/3 = .667
    3/4 = .750
    7/8 = .875
    lindsiswatchingyou .....KIND OF what I am talking about...but using Excel is not a bad idea, i forgot I knew how to use it!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    MFP tells you the nutritional value too....

I'm confused as to why you need to convert your foods since both websites have the same function?
  • TaliaP77
    Options

I'm confused as to why you need to convert your foods since both websites have the same function?

Okay say there is a bag of steamable corn that I want to eat, but the correct serving size is not listed...I am having a hard time figuring out that part. All the grams and ounces and stuff.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Okay say there is a bag of steamable corn that I want to eat, but the correct serving size is not listed...I am having a hard time figuring out that part. All the grams and ounces and stuff.

The bag usually tells you how many ounces/grams per serving size, then how many serving sizes per bag. Every product is different, so you'll have to do the math for each one or you need to get a food scale and weigh everything.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    It can get complex, that's for sure! The serving size is on most containers, though. Be careful! I bought a green tea thinking at a glance that the whole bottle was 60 calories, then sat down with it and read it more closely. A serving was 60 calories, and the bottle contained 2.5 servings. It didn't say specifically how many ounces were in a serving, but I divided the number of ounces (18) by the number of servings (2.5) and got the ounces per serving (7.2 ounces). :huh:
  • TaliaP77
    Options

The bag usually tells you how many ounces/grams per serving size, then how many serving sizes per bag. Every product is different, so you'll have to do the math for each one or you need to get a food scale and weigh everything.

Any that is why I was asking for a website that helped with this...in the beginning, I stated my math skills were rusty.
  • TaliaP77
    Options
    It can get complex, that's for sure! The serving size is on most containers, though. Be careful! I bought a green tea thinking at a glance that the whole bottle was 60 calories, then sat down with it and read it more closely. A serving was 60 calories, and the bottle contained 2.5 servings. It didn't say specifically how many ounces were in a serving, but I divided the number of ounces (18) by the number of servings (2.5) and got the ounces per serving (7.2 ounces). :huh:

Yessssss....I'm sure there is an website for this...Or I may have to kick it "old school" and get a scale. :noway:
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Also, sometimes I have to click through several options regarding the same product here on MFP. One will give me a serving size in grams, but I can't weigh grams, so I click into something else until I find something I can measure with what I have, like 1/4 cup. Cups and divisions of cups is what I'm usually looking for - that's so quick and easy. I can also measure ounces when I have to.
  • dycheelizabeth
    Options
    i recommend getting a food scale that measures both ounces and grams...i got mine at walmart for around $25...SOOOO worth it!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    A digital food scale and a calculator is all you need.
  • hdjjones
    hdjjones Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Buy an inexpensive kitchen scale and just weigh your portions.
  • TaliaP77
    Options
    Thank you guys!! :bigsmile:
  • kathicooks
    kathicooks Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have a great food scale that is also a measuring cup. Helped me start to figure out weight v volume of many foods. I dump the food in and get the weight, then look at the measuring cup part and see how much volume it is.

http://www.amazon.com/TAYLOR-3890-Digital-Measuring-Scale/dp/B002E1AVTI/ref=pd_bxgy_k_img_z
  • hdjjones
    hdjjones Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't realize someone already suggested that.