Depression Medication

Options
My doctor is talking about putting me on depression medication, but I thought it made most people gain weight. What are people's experiences with it? I know everyone is different and reacts different to mediciations, so I will probably react different than most people to it, just thought I'd get some feedback.

Replies

• gwenr
    gwenr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My doctor is talking about putting me on depression medication, but I thought it made most people gain weight. What are people's experiences with it? I know everyone is different and reacts different to mediciations, so I will probably react different than most people to it, just thought I'd get some feedback.

If your doctor is suggesting it then the benefits outweigh the risks. Many types are known to NOT cause weight gain. I take Zoloft and Wellbutrin and neither has made me gain or made it hard to lose.

Plus? I'm happier. That makes it MUCH easier to get the motivation to work out.
  • valolerie
    valolerie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I take Cipralex (Lexapro). Have lost 20 lbs on it. It has stopped working for me though, so if I switch, it'll be to Wellbutrin probably.
  • abrewer563
    Options

If your doctor is suggesting it then the benefits outweigh the risks. Many types are known to NOT cause weight gain. I take Zoloft and Wellbutrin and neither has made me gain or made it hard to lose.

Plus? I'm happier. That makes it MUCH easier to get the motivation to work out.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that there is a need, but if it is going to make me fatter I would opt of it because that would just add to my depression. Glad to hear you haven't gained weight on it though! Thanks!
  • abrewer563
    Options
    I take Cipralex (Lexapro). Have lost 20 lbs on it. It has stopped working for me though, so if I switch, it'll be to Wellbutrin probably.

Thanks, this gives me hope!
  • BRenkwell
    BRenkwell Posts: 30 Member
    Options

I think you need to think about what you're asking here - is your emotional and mental health less important to you than a few extra pounds?

For what it's worth, I've been on about 4 different medications for depression - I was initially on Welbutrin for the reason you are worried about it, because it's supposed to help you lose/not gain weight. Unfortunately, it gave me migraines. I've been in Lexapro - that just made me lazy, so I gained weight. I've been on Prozac, that didn't do much for me. Now I'm on Cymbalta and have been for about 2 years - it's what works for me. It actually gives me the mental state where I WANT to work out and eat right and what not.

I think the most important thing to remember is that you need to find something that puts you in the best emotional state - NOT what may make you gain/not gain weight. If you're in the right headspace, you'll probably be more of yourself anyway and work harder to workout/eat right.

Like I said - don't NOT take recomended medication because you're worried you'll gain weight. and if you DO gain weight, tell your doctor. He'll help you weight the positives and the negatives.

Thats my take on it at least.
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    I was on Lexapro a while ago and gained weight despite working out 4 days a week. I would use it as a very last resort. Are there other things you have tried? maybe therapy or something along those lines?
  • kimmers99
    Options
    I have gained and lost weight on medication. Currently the lightest I have been since highschool on zoloft.!
    When your mood lifts it makes exercising easier and more enjoyable.
  • northernnative33
    northernnative33 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    its sad when doctors suggest meds for depression....i flushed my pills down the toilet ....i didnt like the zombie feeling with no feelings and i have 2 young girls to take care of... i prayed and prayed real hard and seen other ppl who believed in the higher power....i read the word too...and you know what...? it worked....its been 2 yrs of no pills and im happy...but my problem is obese...lol...they say vigorious workouts releases the happy endorophines chems into your brain....dont take the pills..but you need another spirit to help you my dear. it wasnt easy but it helped.
  • abrewer563
    Options
    I was on Lexapro a while ago and gained weight despite working out 4 days a week. I would use it as a very last resort. Are there other things you have tried? maybe therapy or something along those lines?

I'm trying therapy out right now, and she is the one that suggested I get on medication.
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I did well on Wellbutrin,actually lost 20 ;lbs,put it back on when the doctor switched me to Cymbalta.Good luck!:)
  • BRenkwell
    BRenkwell Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    its sad when doctors suggest meds for depression....i flushed my pills down the toilet ....i didnt like the zombie feeling with no feelings and i have 2 young girls to take care of... i prayed and prayed real hard and seen other ppl who believed in the higher power....i read the word too...and you know what...? it worked....its been 2 yrs of no pills and im happy...but my problem is obese...lol...they say vigorious workouts releases the happy endorophines chems into your brain....dont take the pills..but you need another spirit to help you my dear. it wasnt easy but it helped.

I think this is rude.

Depression is caused by a chemical imbalance. Balancing out those chemicals with medication, many people can live normal lives where their depression was dehabilitating beforehand.
  • northernnative33
    northernnative33 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    im sorry if some lady found my other comment rude...yes its chemical imbalances, i know that. ppl can choose meds, but theraphy helps bigtime. As a native aboriginal our ancestors didnt have meds back then....its called living life spiritually...you can do traditional like my ancestors do, but i lost my roots and chose another spiritual path. but im not saying to flush the pills...lol...
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I am on Wellbutrin for depression, and it defi Italy cuts my appetite. Another med I took caused me to rapidly gain weight. I am also seeing a therapist. The combination of med and therapist is really helping me. Wishing yo all the best!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good luck with feeling better and finding the right med for you!
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

If your doctor is suggesting it then the benefits outweigh the risks.

[/quote]

This.
  • vanillacupcakeface
    Options
    wellbutrin is commonly the depression med that doesn't cause weight gain in most - it also for most (with some exceptions as stated here) doesn't HELP with weight loss but it seems by and large not to hurt.

however - wellbutrin is a completely different mechanism than SSRI's and for many who would benefit more from SSRI's it might not work as well. the doc can help you determine whether it might be an option so you should def bring it up. If it doesn't help much they might then suggest trying an SSRI, which you can negate any potential weight gain with those by being careful with food. taking SSRI's doesn't just make you blow up like a blimp.. they just contribute to eating more and higher carb intake for the most part, but this is debated - you can read more about it in various medical journals.

all that said, my *kitten* takes wellbutrin even though I think SSRI's might help my type of issues more (depression due to anxiety etc) because I don't want to be FAT. so basically I know that's irrational and I still do it.
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    You need to take care of you hon...if youre depressed you need to fix that...granted weight gain may not help but talk to your doc about that! Good luck!
  • Andrea3030
    Options

^^^ this

Just because a doctor recommends an antidepressant doesn't mean that is what is best. Many, MANY doctors recommend it as a FIRST resort before other methods- therapy, exercise, diet changes, light therapy, etc.

Is the doctor who recommended it your general practitioner or a licensed psychiatrist? General MDs only get a very limited amount of training in mental health.

Antidepressants can save lives, but they shouldn't be taken as a first resort in my opinion. WAY too many side effects and they are shown to stop working over time.
  • PamelaKuz
    PamelaKuz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Cymbalta did not make me gain weight. It gave me the boost I needed to start losing weight. Do not take this without doing your research however (as with any medication, I suppose). It can be very addictive, and many people have trouble getting off it. Good luck to you!
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I've been on Zoloft and Lexapro, and neither made me gain weight purely because of the meds. It was the emotional eating I was doing while on them.

I'm on Lexapro now and am losing weight as expected with my new eating and exercise habits.