new runner needing advise

Options
I just recently started the C25K program and started off great. I was doing day 2 of the workout last night and noticed my shins were "burning" and kind of tight feeling. I don't know if I should be worried about this, but I was worried that if I continued to run that something bad might happen. I didn't want to be one of those girls you see in youtube videos that fall off the treadmill and look like a total *kitten*. I ran for a total of 2 minutes and walked the remaining 28 minutes of my workout.

Anyway, any suggestions about this? Is it something I should be worried about? Do I need to stretch more?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• sweetpeas2000
    sweetpeas2000 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    bump
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have good shoes...Ice your shins after running, and do calf stretches where you stand on the sidewalk (or step and lift up onto your toes...
    Main thing is good shoes, and take is slow..... Good luck!
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    my best advice it to make sure you have good shoes. If you havn't replaced your shoes recently you might think about doing so. another suggestion is to slow down your speed a bit.
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I think that feeling might have been shin splints...for that I believe you're supposed to drink more water, consume potassium and stretch properly. Shoes are probably a factor as well.

Are you a regular walker? Maybe increase the walking intensity for a couple of weeks and then start C25K?
  • sweetpeas2000
    Options
    Thanks. I'm gonna give it another whirl tonight.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    new shoes. real running shoes. You need to go to a place were they will look at your gate and everything.

Also it could just be your muscles working out. try slowing down a little, or watch how your heel/toe strikes.
  • sweetpeas2000
    Options
    I think that feeling might have been shin splints...for that I believe you're supposed to drink more water, consume potassium and stretch properly. Shoes are probably a factor as well.

Are you a regular walker? Maybe increase the walking intensity for a couple of weeks and then start C25K?

I'm not really sure what shin splints are and what they feel like. What are the symptoms?
    My shoes are not old, but maybe I need a better pair. I've been walking regularly for a couple weeks now.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    all of the above are good suggestions.

I would recommend getting fitted for a good pair of running shoes at a specialty running store.

Also, look up "shin splint exercises" on Google--there are a variety of good stretching exercises to do post-workout that can help with shin issues.

Adjust your workouts--when I first started running I tried Couch to 5k and couldn't manage it, so I just changed it to meet my needs. I had to start literally with 15 second running intervals and do a lot more walking.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Have you tried running outside?
  • SlenderSuze
    SlenderSuze Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Try a shorter stride.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    new shoes. real running shoes. You need to go to a place were they will look at your gate and everything.

Also it could just be your muscles working out. try slowing down a little, or watch how your heel/toe strikes.

Agreed. Get a proper fitting at a running specialty store. Buy the shoes they recommend.

Slow down, watch your form, and make sure to stretch afterwards.
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    That feeling will go away after you build up your running. It's shin splints. Ice (like previous poster said) and make sure you have the right shoes.

There is debate on whether or not stretching helps. But,,,stretch before and after to see if that will help you out too.

I used to get shin splints pretty bad. I now run 12 miles at a time without any problems. Just build yourself up.
  • pattie521
    Options
    When I started running this summer I started to get shin splints. I cut back from running everyday to every other day. Once the splints went I went back up to everyday with one day of rest. You should ice them, but if you continue to have problems do not try pushing through them as they can lead to fractures. I had a student athlete on my team this year that kept running and pushing it on her shin splints and had to have a bone scan and found out that she had a fracture.
  • NatashaRuz
    Options
    Shoes, shoes, shoes :)

(There's a group here "Couch-2-5K" - great place to share your journey!) :)
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    The single biggest contributor to shin splints is heel strike... try to land mid-foot, not on your heel. It may feel a little clumsy at first, but it actually is the more natural stride for running. Newer runners seem to be particularly prone to this.

Good shoes are a must, you need support, but your form and foot strike are your biggest allies or enemies!

Good luck!
  • RunXstrong
    Options
    Its very normal to get this when you are beginning a running program. The main thing is to build up your miles and spead slowly, so your body can adapt to the running. Over the weeks as you get more cumulative running done, it should go away, but you want to not let it get to hurting really badly! Manage it like has been proposed by others with ice, good shoes, and by giving your body time to adapt to running by limiting your running miles and speeds. Listen to your body. If it hurts really badly, and particularly if it impacts your running stride, then you should take a short break from running and let it heal. But get back out there if it feels OK and keep after the running because soon it most likely won't be an issue at all.
  • kimbux
    kimbux Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    A good exercise for Shin Splints is writing each letter of the alphabet with your foot. This will move your muscules in many directions and help them become more flexible. Do it when you are watching TV or sitting at your computer. It helpe me...... also may want to get some calf sleeves to wear when you have finished your run.
  • Swede04
    Swede04 Posts: 11
    Options
    You could try warming up first.....walk, walk fast, and jog about a 1/4 of a mile before you actually run.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'm gonna give it another whirl tonight.

Don't do it if still sore. You can knock yourself out of commission for several days if overdone.

Once not sore, put something of weight on forefoot and lift it up.

Also, may be a real heel lander, pounding your bones badly. Try landing more flat footed and absorbing the shock with the whole leg. To see what this feels like, take the shoes off and run like when you were a kid, around an artificial turf high school football field or such to bring back that feeling. Try to imitate with shoes on.
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    sounds like shin splints to me. look up stretches for shin splints. they exist. also you can buy a calf compression sleeve...i'd run in that. it helps a lot. and add a little more walking.

stretch, stretch, stretch! if it goes from sore to piercing pain--slow way down. and always drink lots of water, but in general i never found that to help. eventually they'll go away and you won't have to worry about it anymore.