Vegetiarian meals

Options
My sister is coming for a BBQ and I want to make her feel welcome by making some non-meat dishes, but I don't have any but the old stand by side dishes!! I would really like to surprise her by making something special for her, but I don't have any ideas! Can anyone help me??!!!

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Take a look at www.vegweb.com and you'll find hundreds of possibilities.

I should have noted that this site is designed in mind for vegetarians and vegans (so everything listed will be acceptable for her to eat)-I use this site at least once a week. I've been a vegetarian my entire life.
  • Slenderbovine
    Options
    How about a vegetarian lasagna, three-bean salad, garden burgers...go to www.foodfit.com and look up some vegetarian recipes there. I've been a converted vegetarian for about three years now...it's not easy sometimes, but there are so many good meat substitutes out there, I'm sure you'll find something that will work! Good luck!
  • CityGirlatHeart
    Options
    You can also try this website, they have yummy looking food! =)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Everyday-Cooking/Vegetarian/Main.aspx
  • lose2cruise
    Options
    Grill portobello mushrooms for her. They are like steak to a vegetarian. Love them!
  • EmilyStrick
    Options
    last night i made an awesome vegetarian (actually vegan) dinner that would be great at a bbq (and easy)...my meat eating husband loved it too!!! i call them sloppy t's, but they're more bbq sandwiches!

get some tempeh (i got mine at trader joe's) and crumble it into a container the night before you want to use it...pour enough bbq sauce over it to really coat it all and then stir it up and stick it in the fridge. when you're ready to cook, saute an onion and some bell pepper pieces (i used the frozen pepper trio from trader joe's...just easier) and once they're wilted and soft, throw in the tempeh and bbq sauce mixture and let it simmer (covered) for 10 minutes or so. toast some bread or buns and voila...yumminess!

or...you could find some good veggie burgers (i like morning star farms tomato basil pizza burgers) and throw 'em on the grill...that's always good too, and talk about easy!
  • EternalLife
    EternalLife Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    That's a really sweet idea :smile:

How about some vegetable kebabs? Just skewer vegetables - I always do red onion, mushrooms, peppers, tomato, garlic cloves...but you can use whatever you like. Then just barbecue them on a clean part of the grill away from the meat! I suppose they're more of a side, but they're really tasty. They can be spiced up nicely with chilli oil if you like it (I'm allergic so steer clear) and are really good with brown rice.

Have fun!
  • Nanalmw
    Options
    Thank you all soooo very much!!! I wanted to surpise her this time with something new and all of you have given me perfect ideas!! What a blessing!!
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I always have Boca burgers for my vegan friends... & me, they're yummy
  • Nanalmw
    Options
    Thank you all for the imput!! I have found a really good receipe for stuff portabello mushrooms that I think I'm going to try. I will let you all know how it turns out! Again, many thanks!
  • Nanalmw
    Options
    The stuffed mushrooms were a home run!!! She even liked the cream cheese wontans that I made for her! We all had a great time including the birthday boy. Thank you again so much for all the great ideas! :flowerforyou: