For those who live in cold climates

Options
morningmud
morningmud Posts: 477 Member
Do you guys have to turn your faucets on to let them drip when the temps fall below freezing? We are always told to do that here in Georgia to prevent pipes freezing and bursting but we don't get that many below freezing days here. It just seems like you guys would waste an awful lot of water when the majority of your winter nights are below freezing. Surely you guys have better insulated pipes or something...

Replies

• know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    LOL .....I live in Alaska. It averages -40 during the December-February.

No, we don't leave the water on. The pipes are insulated so they don't freeze.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    No, I don't have to do that here in lower NY ..... it's below freezing a lot, but the house is well-insulated :drinker:
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    No.
    I turn the heat on.
    :tongue:
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Nope. I had to at one place we lived in because they were stupid. But I live in New Hampshire, and no, we don't leave the water on. Down south, they're probably just not insulated well enough?
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You can purchase insulating tape for pipes. The only issue you'd have though would be the pipes that are exposed to the outside temps such as an outside faucet. But we just close off the water from inside the house that supplies to the faucet and it's good. Temps in the winter here and get to -40 with the wind chill.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    We don't let them drip though for the outdoor taps we shut off the water supply to it and let it drain out.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Nope. I had to at one place we lived in because they were stupid. But I live in New Hampshire, and no, we don't leave the water on. Down south, they're probably just not insulated well enough?

*waves* oh hi fellow new hampshirian
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Do you guys have to turn your faucets on to let them drip when the temps fall below freezing? We are always told to do that here in Georgia to prevent pipes freezing and bursting but we don't get that many below freezing days here. It just seems like you guys would waste an awful lot of water when the majority of your winter nights are below freezing. Surely you guys have better insulated pipes or something...

I live in north Florida now, but I grew up in NY. We never had to do that and I don't do it here, even when it falls into the teens in the winter. But I have a friend in Jacksonville who used to live in a trailer and her pipes would freeze on cold nights if she didn't do that.

Is your house nnot well insulated or something?
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    No, us new englanders do not have to keep our faucets running- mainly because our pipes up here are insulated to accommodate the cold weather that we get for 6 months out of the year.

I am thinking because you live in GA, your pipes aren't insulated, thus them telling you to keep the water dripping.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I work for a water well company in the south...by all means don't insulate your pipes or well head when it gets cold.

We made a BUNCH of money off customers 2 winters ago when it got into the teens here in SE Texas. Lots of folks burned up submersible pumps (OUCH).
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I LOL'd.

Live in Minnesota. I turn the outside water off in the basement. I only turn it on to flood, or resurface my hockey rink.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    No, our homes are better insulated and the pipes are better insulated. The only time we will turn on our faucets at all is for an extreme freeze and then usually only for a few hours.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    The only time we had to do this was when they decided to replace the water lines on our street at the beginning of winter.
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options

I guess so but this is just a general statement they make on the news when we get freeze warnings. Not that we are anywhere near getting a freeze warning; that's still pretty far from now.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options

I live in north Florida now, but I grew up in NY. We never had to do that and I don't do it here, even when it falls into the teens in the winter. But I have a friend in Jacksonville who used to live in a trailer and her pipes would freeze on cold nights if she didn't do that.

Not all our pipes just the one the leads to the garden. (We have a house with a fully finished insulated basement, no trailer.)
    Our home inspector told us to do this to prevent the water from freezing in the tap portion that leads to the exterior.
    We figured it was easier just to do this, than to risk burst pipes in an exterior wall. Chances of it actually hapening? I have no clue.
    We live in Canada, seems to be a common thing to do over here...?
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    My first "house" was really something that should have been a seasonal beach rental. It was not insulated at all! We had to leave the water dripping there, or the pipes would have burst.

Ah, fond memories of that place in the summer. Not so much in the winter.
  • jenjersnapco
    jenjersnapco Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Ditto. We do turn off and drain the faucet to the outside and lawn sprinkler system every fall as a precaution.
    No, our homes are better insulated and the pipes are better insulated. The only time we will turn on our faucets at all is for an extreme freeze and then usually only for a few hours.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Not all our pipes just the one the leads to the garden. (We have a house with a fully finished insulated basement, no trailer.)
    Our home inspector told us to do this to prevent the water from freezing in the tap portion that leads to the exterior.
    We figured it was easier just to do this, than to risk burst pipes in an exterior wall. Chances of it actually hapening? I have no clue.
    We live in Canada, seems to be a common thing to do over here...?

In the 28 years I lived in New York (including Buffalo), no one ever said to do that and we never did. I dunno. I guess better a higher water bill than having to replace the pipes, though! You can winterize them. Have you tried that? Or do you have to winterize all the pipes if you do that?
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    That is a negative here in WI.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options

This. We have special pipes in our house made of something so they expand and contract and don't freeze or burst. We also have this pink stuff in our walls called Installation. Keeps the cold out.

Houses down south aren't built the same way, so there are different worries. For example- you have central air. we don't. if it's too hot upstairs to sleep, you sleep in the living room. Or the one room where there is a window unit.