When you start to lose weight...

Options
do you need to reset your calories?

Replies

• lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I think once you lose a significant amount MFP will reset them for you. I am not 100% sure on that, so i'm not even sure why I replied. :smokin: :laugh:
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I would say no because you put in a goal weight, so those calories that mfp sets will be there to get to your goal!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    MFP does NOT reset them for you. You do need to readjust your goals. I have about every 10 pounds or so. And not just readjust in the sense that MFP gives you fewer calories, but also readjust in the sense that... once you've lost a lot of weight, it's unrealistic to expect the weight loss to continue at the same rate.

I recently hit a plateau & changed my goal from 2# a week to 1.5# a week and started eating more. Sounds counterintuitive, but I think the weight is starting to come off again (I had lost and gained the same 3 pounds 3 times over 3 weeks -- this morning I was back to the lowest weight I've been)

Here's the MFP FAQ. This topic is addressed.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/faq
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Well hell. That outta teach you to not listen to me. :sick: :sad: :laugh:
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    After you lose 10 pounds MFP will ask you if you'd like to adjust them, if you say yes, then it will recalculate your calories to align with your current weight and what your deficit should be to reach your goal.

This happens for every 10 pounds until you've reached 1200 calories, it won't go below this.
  • Kristen81
    Kristen81 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Right now mine are set at 1200 a day....I usually stay right around there, sometimes eating SOME of my work out calories, other times not. Is this OK?
    I probably shouldn't reset my calories until I start losing more, right?
  • Questfor250
    Options
    My input on this. As someone who was recently figured out that MFP knows more than me, I suggest you readjust every 10 pounds. Also, as far as eating calories, it wasn't until I started eating more that my weight got off its plateau and continued going down. Now that I am eating what MFP is suggesting, I am dropping good now. Knock on wood......
  • llimrite
    Options
    Kristen, I typically eat some, if not all of my workout calories and am still losing consistently. I do have days where I am just hungry all day and may go over my total calories no matter what I do. However, thanfully I've still lost at least 1 lb per week.

I did re-set my calories at around 12 lbs lost and MFP dropped them by about 20 calories per day.

Now I'm trying to excercise more, which is something I haven't been very good at.
  • doyoga
    doyoga Posts: 20
    Options
    After I lost 10lbs MFP asked me if I'd like to reset my calories & goals, I did that and they adjusted my calories from 1200 to 1270.
  • Kristen81
    Kristen81 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    OK...I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm just not eating enough! I eat around 1100 calories a day ( about once a week I'll eat 1200) plus I burn between 350-700 calories a day with exercise. I NEED to eat those exercise calories back in order for my body to lose weight, right?
    Is this why I'm stuck at a 4 pound loss when it's been over a month?
  • feeny
    feeny Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    i change my goal weight for my mini-goals and mfp adjusts it for me. I recently had it set as my long term goal (150lbs) and decided to change it to my first short term goal (31 lbs) and it gave me like 20 less calories.
  • SarahJoy_79
    SarahJoy_79 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    OK...I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm just not eating enough! I eat around 1100 calories a day ( about once a week I'll eat 1200) plus I burn between 350-700 calories a day with exercise. I NEED to eat those exercise calories back in order for my body to lose weight, right?
    Is this why I'm stuck at a 4 pound loss when it's been over a month?

Yes definitely eat more! Under 1200 is way too low if you are working out. Your body is in starvation mode and will hold on to whatever weight it can.
  • happypait16
    Options
    I have the same problem with not eating enough calories. My mind set is that, the least amount of calories I eat the more weight I'll lose. this is wrong though right?..Two years ago I cut myself way back on calories and in about two months I lost 15 pounds. I was 14 at the time and was eating between 800 and 1000 calories a day. Now MFP is telling me to eat 1200 calories a day. I have been eating between 900 and 1000 calories on average..could this be why I am stuck and not losing more weight?
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    MFP has asked me to readjust after every ten pounds I have lost and I have always listened to what they say. When I first started I was at 1530 calories per day and am now down to 1390. I have ALWAYS eaten my excercise calories back and have lost at least my goal of one pound per week (except when I pigged out over Xmas :blushing: ).