Gluten allergy and weight loss

Options
I am wondering if there is anyone out there that has a gluten allergy that swells up considerably when they consume gluten?
I gained 6 lbs from friday to monday because I ate gluten by accident (was in the seasoning).
The frustration of this drives me crazy!

Replies

• JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm a Celiac and GI. I've found it's really easy to keep the fat off since I've been diagnosed. Avoiding substitute foods really helps, too (i.e. not eating gluten free cookies or bread). The weight you gained from your contamination event is temporary and just about all water. Just be extra careful and it'll be gone soon.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    ~~ waves hi ~~ Yep. I'm very careful but every once in awhile get glutened. Ugh.

But remember that isn't FAT that's showing up on the scale when you have that sudden spike. It's inflammation and other symptoms associated with gluten sensitivity. Lots of water, exercise, and take care of yourself and it'll be gone soon.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do, including some tummy troubles which would be TMI here. Very annoying the number of products w/ gluten that you would never imagine.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I don't gain weight, I get hives.

I am slowly adjusting to a life without bread.. I find eating fruits and vegetables raw makes me feel better.
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    I have an 8 year old son recently diagnosed with Celiacs.

If he touches wheat (brushes crumbs off the counter after someone else) he breaks out in hives.

If he eats something with gluten in it, he gets terrible stomach pains, and cannot tolerate food for 2 days.

My entire house has gone Gluten free and everyone feels better for it!
  • JDwashere
    JDwashere Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When I was diagnosed I gained 10 pounds in two weeks after going gluten free (I assume due to not being sick every single day...haha). I have also noticed now that I need to lose all the weight I gained after giving birth it is much harder. I eat sensible, I refuse to eat any junk food and exercise daily but the weight just slowly comes off. It is frustrating to say the least...lol Everyone's reaction is different though and I understand the frustation of having to watch even seasonings because I love to season!
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I don't gain weight, I get hives.

I am slowly adjusting to a life without bread.. I find eating fruits and vegetables raw makes me feel better.
    ^^ This ^^ I was just conversing with my gluten intolerant friend :) this morning about this and wondering if my hives have been because of gluten. I've had really bad hives in the last month and I'm beginning to think it's from the very white floury things like bagels and pizza crust. I don't break out at all with whole wheat bread. Glad to know that someone else might also suspect gluten intolerance with hives. Docs don't know...yet.
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I feel so much better when I stay away from Gluten. I think I'm sensitive but I have never been officially diagnosed. Today I allowed myself a brownie after a tennis match....right now I have hives all over my forehead. It definately makes me feel bloated but the hives are the worst! I think I am also sensitive to preservatives so I try to eat clean unprocessed food 80% of the time.
  • Kerrydor
    Options
    I'm pretty much afraid to eat anything that isnt completely clean.. it is a definite change in lifestyle.
    I have also decided to kill 2 birds with one stone. I recently attended the Muscle Beach Classic, a bodybuilding competition that friends participated in. Im hooked! I hope to compete in one year. Wish me luck.
  • juliamrice
    Options
    My son has coeliac and I found out after I got tested I had am gluten sensitive. I do eat gluten and yes it has bloated me and does not help in weight loss. I will def be limiting my intake while on here to see the differnece.
  • Kerrydor
    Options
    thanks, it is getting easier now. my journey into a new life is exciting and Im feeling great.:smile: