Funny Observation...

Options
Hello everybody,

First things first: This place is AWESOME. I joined after I lost 10 lbs in late January of this year and I've lost 15 lbs since. I thought the message board was kind of corny at first, but I've really grown to love this place and I visit everyday for tips, advice and motivation.

On to my point: Here's my funny observation, and I'm wondering if anybody does the same thing. I'm at work, and lunch time comes around. I have my healthy lunch (full of wise choices) but one of the guys hits up Wendy's. When my co-worker brings in his Wendy's I go catatonic. I become a weird zombie/crackhead character.

it's funny because I lose focus, I start drooling, I lose my mind. I don't give in to the temptation, but I definitely display crackhead-like behavior for the food.

It's so funny how much power garbage food has over me. I wonder if it will ever go away, or if for the rest of my life I'll treat fast food like Superman treats Kryptonite....

Replies

• LisaNBorchers
    Options
    LOL...my office mate ALWAYS goes out for lunch. I have told her it is banned from our office. (for fear of her own safety she is complying with my request:))
  • tjwersinger
    Options
    yeah losing your mind is pretty easy around all those tempting foods. I work at a place where everyone brings in junk food, or left overs they can't get rid of at home, they order out every friday. Crackers, bread, peanut butter, pop, and such are always readily available (and free) in the lounge. One would think having all of this is bad as i work in the health care field.
  • dietingsucks
    Options
    My bro-in-law had that intestinal bypass surgery YEARS ago and thinks it's okay to eat anything he wants AND in HUGE amounts. He always is kind about it and offers to share and sometimes it's really hard to resist (like when he brings home Chinese takeout or deep-dish pizza with the works!)

I started going online and looking up the nutritional values for these foods and it cured me of that state of "catatonia"... OMG the sodium and unhealthy calories some of that stuff has!

Maybe this approach will help you too..?

http://www.fastfood.com/Nutrition/wendys.html
  • bbblue92
    bbblue92 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Ha ha! I feel the same way so I try to stay away as much as possible! The smells really get to me, the yummy greasy mcD's fries . . . I love fast food but happy to announce that I haven't eaten it in such a looooong time that I kinda don't miss it, though if I entered a McDonald's I would go CRAZEE and order (and eat!) way too much! I find now though, when i do eat the food, going down it feels great though I always feel so gross afterwards. But I get what you say totally, it's exactly like a crack addiction!!
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Just reading that made me want Wendy's ....

Then again, I haven't had a cheeseburger for like six weeks now.

But six weeks ago ... I was that guy ... Eating BK at my desk everyday for lunch.

What goes around comes around I guess.
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    SO Hard! I have to chew gum just to walk into the kitchen at work so I don't eat that %$$##^ chocolate cake or bagels that are sitting on the counter!:smile:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    It's so funny how much power garbage food has over me. I wonder if it will ever go away, or if for the rest of my life I'll treat fast food like Superman treats Kryptonite....

It goes away.
    I haven't denied myself fast food (or anything for that matter. I'm not a fan of complete deprivation when it comes to a healthy diet. I think deprivation makes failure much more likely.). I ate it about once every 2 weeks at first. Now... I can't even tell you the last time I wanted any.
    HONEST.

This Monday I drove through McDonald's drive-thru because my bf wanted McNuggets ((insert eyeroll here)). The thought of ordering something for myself never even entered my mind. I didn't have (nor did I want) a single fry.

It's just unappealing to me. Like, thinking about eating it really triggers my gag reflex. I've been like this for about 2 months now. On more than one occasion my bf has exclaimed, "I DON'T EVEN KNOW YOU ANYMORE!!" because of it. :laugh:

I don't know if it's the same for everyone, and I can't say I'll feel this way forever, but this is what has happened for me.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    I used to be like that but u get used to it over time. When I just started MFP I was always the one to wanna eat out and wanna eat junk and eat all the junk @ work or @ home, don't get me started on parties, etc. lol.
    now I see junk and I think man I've come a long way.
    Eg. one day I ate a chocolate for pm snack instead of my usual protein bar and felt sick after
    eg. one day I hate baked ruffles with my sandwich cuz I didnt have salad, felt sick after
    oh and one day I went to the mall and I was deiciding between a greek salad and chinese, well I picked chinese but so regretted it after.

Like I am at the point where the foods I used to really enjoy no longer taste good to me and I'm left wondering why I ever liked it in the first place.

Don't get me wrong some things I still haven't gotten over - like ice cream :love:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

But six weeks ago ... I was that guy ... Eating BK at my desk everyday for lunch.

Just reading that made ME want Wendy's, and I haven't had a burger in 3 years.

__

We are addicts, and our drug of choice is food. We'll get better. :)
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Yes, it will go away.

I love a good hamburger from my local mom&pop, and they do a good job with lean beef and tons'a good stuff - but a Wendy burger doesn't work for me anymore. I had one a while back and it was like eating a stick of butter. It was a single, and I finished it, but I won't do it again. I don't know if I could eat a double,,,
  • atouchet
    Options

Just reading that made ME want Wendy's, and I haven't had a burger in 3 years.

__

We are addicts, and our drug of choice is food. We'll get better. :)

OH NO!! Now I feel like I'm enabling two people, haha...