Hire a personal trainer?

Options
My gym is running specials on an 8 week package for personal training. It's one hour a week for eight weeks, and she is willing to add 3 extra weeks to make it run until the last week of December. Has anyone had a personal trainer? What was your experience? If I have the money and am willing to spend it, what are some drawbacks, other than price?

Replies

• Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    I would definitely do it if I could afford it & belonged to a gym. Go for it!
    Linda
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I've had one for 2 months now, best investment I ever made, she is fantastic, she is always there for advice on food or whatever, doesnt have to just be in our weekly sessions, she is totally motivating and I wouldnt have touched the free weights without her!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I've a personal trainer for a year and half now, and it's the best investment I've made.

I like knowing that I have a set workout each week, and don't have to worry. Plus my trainer gives me copies of what we do, so I always have a fresh program to do on my own.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Best investment you'll ever make!!!!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Been thinking about it but i doubt if the hubby would be cool with it. He thinks he is my personal trainer (eye roll) it would work if he ever actually had time to help me and didnt make me feel like crap in the gym. Lol ( kinda annoyed wth him atm he isnt really so bad he is just army and gruff)
  • Its_My_Time
    Its_My_Time Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    YES! I agree..invest in yourself..it's the best investment you can ever do! In fact, I'm going to book my bootcamp instructor for additional pt tonight after class! :wink:
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have a trainer, and I have no regrets. Definitely pushed me outside of what I thought I could do, and I have made tremendous gains. I'm sure it's like any industry, there are good ones and bad ones. I got lucky and got a good one.
  • Mels707
    Mels707 Posts: 101
    Options
    Great investment...but try to find one with a degree in kinesiology or nutrition, or at least someone with extensive experience. These days, anyone with $500 and a few weeks to study for an exam can get a certification.

Generally speaking, ACSM is the gold standard of certification, but unless they've changed you need a BS to get it. Other good ones are NASM, NSCA, and ISSA.
  • ChinUp4Life
    Options
    I am a personal trainer and I can tell you that everyone has a their own training style.

My training focus is typically:
    1. Postural correction + core strengthening
    2. Teaching safe movement patterns
    3. Metabolic work (calorie burning stuff)

Then I give a meal plan, and continue to stay in contact with clients a few times throughout the week even if we only have one session together.

I am teaching people how to fish. So my philosophy is that you should invest in a trainer who can give you the knowledge you need to empower yourself -- then that trainer will be available to you in the long run but only because you need motivation.
  • Valkyriewoman
    Valkyriewoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have a great traine! Best money I have ever spent and will stick with him for as long as I can! He is knowlegable, listens to me, designs programs for my goals and takes great care of me.

That said, not all trainers are great. I've watched many others in the gym who are uninterested in their clients. If you're going to hire one, remember they are your employee. Ask them about their style of training, their education, their philosophy and how they think they can help you. It really helps if there's a great connection between you.
  • Shawnuhhbauss
    Shawnuhhbauss Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Go for it. I think if you find a good one it'll help you a lot!
  • scarletgenesis
    Options
    My gym is running specials on an 8 week package for personal training. It's one hour a week for eight weeks, and she is willing to add 3 extra weeks to make it run until the last week of December. Has anyone had a personal trainer? What was your experience? If I have the money and am willing to spend it, what are some drawbacks, other than price?

I finally hired a personal trainer after I admitted to myself that I have a hard time keeping motivated on my own. I currently see her 3x a week. I absolutely love it. I actually look way forward to our sessions. She gives me personal attention, has me set goals that we both work toward, and pushes me WAY harder than I'd push myself. She varies my workouts. I've been going to her for almost 2 months and have not had the same workout twice.

She knows about my knee issues and is constantly making sure that any pain I have is just pain from the exercise, not from injury. She has taught me proper form (and corrects as we go, as needed). And while I'm there, she is totally dedicated to me.

I've had a few people who were shocked that I'd spend this money for a trainer 3x a week. I understand that not everyone is in the financial situation to do so, but I usually say to them, "I pay about as much a month as a car payment, and my health and fitness is worth way more than a car".

My gym has four trainers and the owner sits down with people who want to hire one and discusses goals and then matches you up with the best trainer for your goals and schedule. Everything is very personalized, which is important to me.
  • grinner30
    grinner30 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    best decision I made was getting a PT. If you get a good one you will not regret it.
  • shy_46
    shy_46 Posts: 36
    Options
    This is one of the best inverstments you can for yourself. Provided that you find a trainer that you like. I have been working with my guy for a couple of months and notice a big change not just physically but in my endurance as well. He helps motivate me to come in and work with him as well as the cardio that I have to do on my own.

Good Luck.