anti-depressant forever?

Options
2»

Replies

• billuaa
    billuaa Posts: 56
    Options
    I feel as tho I had a totally mental breakdown less then 2 years ago, i have been on them for about a year and a half, tried to ween myself down only to be exteremely depressed again.. I want off, maybe the fact that I have gained 15 pounds is mostly why. I have a feeling i am going to need them for a long time, but hoping i dont.
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I was on Prozac for about 3 weeks when I stopped taking them. I didn't feel right taking them and was scared to death of becoming addicted (I have an addictive personality) to them.
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    My mother was "depressed" most of my teenage life and I always thought it was quite pathetic to allow yourself to be so unhappy all the time. Find something you love to do, do it. Think of all the positive in your life. Just. be. happy.

Not as easy for everyone I know, but it's something that I'll never understand.

ETA: I did not mean anything rude against the OP, as I don't know her or anything in her life that could be causing depression. I understand some people go through traumatic events that cause depression, but others I honestly believe are just bored and lazy.

"I understand some people go through traumatic events that cause depression, but others I honestly believe are just bored and lazy"

This statement was what I was referring to.

You should get your facts straight. Depression is caused by a chemical imbalance not by certain events that occur in your life. Certain events can make it even worse.

Hence the "it's something that I'll never understand" part of my post.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    My mother was "depressed" most of my teenage life and I always thought it was quite pathetic to allow yourself to be so unhappy all the time. Find something you love to do, do it. Think of all the positive in your life. Just. be. happy.

ETA: I did not mean anything rude against the OP, as I don't know her or anything in her life that could be causing depression. I understand some people go through traumatic events that cause depression, but others I honestly believe are just bored and lazy.

"I understand some people go through traumatic events that cause depression, but others I honestly believe are just bored and lazy"

You should get your facts straight. Depression is caused by a chemical imbalance not by certain events that occur in your life. Certain events can make it even worse.

And I respectfully disagree. If my daughter died, I would be depressed, and it has nothing to do with a chemical imbalance.
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

And I respectfully disagree. If my daughter died, I would be depressed, and it has nothing to do with a chemical imbalance.

From what all the doctors have told me, there are all types of depression (it's a crazy world out there, lol)and they said situational depression, such as the death of a loved one, if it stays long enough, can then cause a chemical imbalance...
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I was on anti-anxiety medication for 6-8 months last year as I had open heart surgery at 24 years old and was told by the doctors I'd developed post traumatic stress, with a fear of exercising and making my heart rate increase due to prior complications.

6-8 months was enough for me to get me over the hurdle and begin exercising, although I think time has also helped my situation.

My partner however struggles with depression and mental issues and while the tablets definitely help him, I can see him being on them for the long term.

As other people mentioned with the chemical imbalance I do agree and would not wish that upon anybody after seeing what my partner goes through.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Well I've been pretty depressed the last couple of years - I think I have a personality inclined that way, whether you think of it as inheritance or upbringing, but a whole series of very stressful events over 6 years brought me very low indeed at points. I don't think either boredom or laziness is much of a factor in my case; anyway generalising isn't really a good thing to do about mental health issues.

I would very happily be on lifetime happy pills if they worked for me!

However I think that generally the solutions are at least as complicated as the causes. And anyway unfortunately I mostly get the side effects rather than the benefits from anti-depressants. So I take a small dose of something to take the worst of the edge off, and try to figure the rest of it out as best I can.

ETA that withdrawal from some antidepressants can be difficult and requires careful managing. A consultant psychiatrist I lived with once said to me that prescribing practice in his profession made no logical sense "If it doesn't work, we increase the dose; if it does, we discontinue it". If you really need it, it works, helps you function, relieves distress, and doesn't cause bad side effects - then well, it's no worse than taking any other sort of drug that you might or might need for a longer or shorter period, and help to get off when you're ready? It's not only MH meds that have side effects, contra-indications, or addictive qualities.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I've had anxiety issues since I can remember, like around 6 years old. I remember my entire childhood being scared and anxious. Like Lady Gaga, I.was born this way. I will probably be on them my whole life. I'm an f'ing nut job when I'm off the meds.
  • annew1952
    annew1952 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have been on them 12 years and it doesn't matter to me. Feel great.