Success without running?????

Options
kasslass2
kasslass2 Posts: 337 Member
Anyone have success stories that DO NOT include running in their workout? If so, please post reply and pics if you have them. Needing motivation ;(

Replies

• cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I can't run because of injuries. I can't even jog without pain so all my weightloss so far has been with other stuff. There are a lot of successful ways to burn fat and build muscle without having to do high impact cardio.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine lost over 50 lbs just by counting calories, and walking. She walked every day for an hour. I have to run, sorry! Not much of a walker.....haha
  • Hertford86
    Hertford86 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I hate running - you couldn't pay me to run. Actually I hate exercise, period, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do, so the way I make it bearable is I got my husband's abandoned nordic track out of the basement, put it in the bedroom, and I do 30-40 minutes a day while watching TV series on Netflix. Have faux-skied my way through Lost, Downton Abbey, and the Sopranos, and lost about 20lb so far.

Of course machines are expensive, and they take up space so this may well not work for you. We found ours used on craigslist - it's not fancy, but it does the job.

Good luck!
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Anyone have success stories that DO NOT include running in their workout? If so, please post reply and pics if you have them. Needing motivation ;(

Sure I have not run one step - my knees are shot!

Rowing, walking on a tread mill, swimming, hiking and weight training
  • vanillarama
    vanillarama Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've never run, although I've wanted to- my knees don't. Success without running? I think that is very doable. The thing I would question is success without resistance training :)
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I have lost all of the weight I have lost with just diet changes and a lot of walking. I am not a runner, don't think I ever will be. But I will get there my way.
  • GemskiB
    GemskiB Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Running aggravates my back, and frankly I hate it. Hurts my knees and ankles too! I do high impact once a week, normally Zumba (also aggravates my back and ankles a touch but I really enjoy it) and the rest is cross trainer/elliptical, walking, hillwalking, swimming and weights. Lost 6kg so far, another 25 to go, feel free to add!!
  • SarahAquino84
    SarahAquino84 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has lost 130 pounds, she cannot run due to injuries. She has just changed her eating habits and done as much as she can walking or on the eliptical.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I lost 22lbs and 14in total doing the 30 day shred. I'm currently in my first week of insanity and can already feel changes happening to my stomach, hips, & thighs. I wish I'd taken photos before I got started in August, but really didn't think I'd lose much. And I did run a few times while doing the 30 day shred, but also used the elliptical. I don't think you have to run to lose weight. It takes finding something you look forward to doing, or can at least tolerate.lol. If you're not happy with what you're doing for cardio, it makes it real hard to stick with.
  • PDLUCKY
    PDLUCKY Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Can't run due to severe arthritis. All my loss has been from swimming (love to swim) and more recently bicycle riding (love this also). Oh yeah portion control played a big part.
  • SweetMe1
    SweetMe1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My knees can't take running. I use a recumbent stationary bike for 30 minutes a day and walk 30-90 minutes a day. Running is not necessary to lose weight!
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    I actually hit a plateau when I trained for a 5K. Running made me SO hungry!

You don't need to be a runner to lose weight, do whatever works for you. I lost most of my weight calorie counting and working out six times a day (cardio and meeting with a personal trainer twice a week).
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    No running here... 42 pounds on walking, yoga, wii fit and mybarre3 - maintaining well since July!!
  • alicia0416
    alicia0416 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    5e476c17_zps1aed2fe9.jpg 220 pounds.....

mewedding_zpsdbc81504.jpg 137 pounds.......

NO RUNNING AT ALL!!!!!!! hehe I refuse.. I just HATE IT!!!!!

I workout 6 days a week.. and count calories like crazy....... hope this helps...... If you have any questions just friend me... (I AM KINDA NEW AT THIS WEIGHT LOSS STUFF but I can tell you what works for me.... :)
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I only recently started jogging and I have lost 60....my weight loss is in the kitchen.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    <
    does not run.

I do an incline walk at max (level 15) and increase my speed from 3.0-4.0 (.2 intervals) for 15-20 mins. It works up a good sweat and burns calories. I let my diet do the rest.

#absaremadeinthekitchen
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I used to be a runner, but regained after I injured my knee and had to quit.

This loss was achieved with no running. Mostly strength training, little cardio

5078525_6504.jpg
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    The only time I will run is if I'm being chased by a bear. You'll see it logged, don't you worry. No way I'm not logging that.

Besides, if I ever chose to do that kind of movement to lose weight, I'd do it efficiently and sprint, not run.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    <
    does not run.

I do an incline walk at max (level 15) and increase my speed from 3.0-4.0 (.2 intervals) for 15-20 mins. It works up a good sweat and burns calories. I let my diet do the rest.

#absaremadeinthekitchen

wait......what were you saying....
  • crw72209
    crw72209 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'd love to run but my knees disagree with me. Anyone know of a good knee brace??
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!