Success without running?????

Options

Replies

• TR56
    TR56 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I always try to run, but never do. I've lost around 45lbs doing mainly weightlifting. I used to do bootcamp classes once a week and now I do kettlebell circuits a few times a week. Fortunately, whenever I do decide to run, it's always faster and easier.
  • Erika1962
    Erika1962 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    lost over 90 pounds without running :smile:
  • bassmanlarry
    bassmanlarry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've lost 46 lbs since April, no running. Hiking, walking, weight training, and yoga, but no running.
  • NaturalinCO
    NaturalinCO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I only recently started jogging. I like it only because I'm seeing FAST results in my legs - something I didn't think would ever happen. But I walked hills, did elliptical, and bike and I'm down 25lbs since joining MFP last year. You can do it, it really is all about MOVING!
  • Jessicao33
    Jessicao33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    This is great I am counting calorie nd walking along with a workout...just started a week ago and lost a pound I want to lose 50!!! I walk for like 40 minutes on treadmill
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I really admire runners, but I just can't get into it. I've tried C25k I don't know how many times, but I never make it past the first couple of weeks before it starts making me miserable. It's funny that you posted this today, because I just had a conversation with a friend about giving myself permission to not be a runner.

Life is too short to spend time doing things you hate or that hurt. There are so many other options out there!
  • Fit_Vixen
    Fit_Vixen Posts: 201
    Options
    I tried running. We were enemies right away!!! I've lost 12 lbs by doing turbo fire. I highly recommend that workout.
  • djk721
    djk721 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have not done any running. I have lost 57 lbs. watching my calories, eating healthy, no pop, and mainly walking. I did aerobics 3 days a week for 10 weeks last winter though.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I walk about 40 to 80 mins a day and do a little lifting some weights. I added the weights in too late to keep up with my legs n butt.

so my advice would be try to do a little of each so your top half keeps in line with your bottom half x

My bottom half has gone from a size 18 UK to a 10 and my top half has gone from an 18 to a 14 UK sizes
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    Just wanted to add, I don't really think anyone LOVES running right when they start, but for me it's something I want to keep doing (never a marathon, but at least once a week) and I LEARNED to love it. If you want to run, know it's hard work, but don't expect to love it right away, or even months later. It wasn't until just last week where I had given myself time off after completing my 5K where I missed it and just went and ran without a schedule or a goal.
  • montanadanni
    montanadanni Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    All my 99lbs lost I did not run, just to run. I did play co-ed softball but that was my only physical activity. Just watch what I eat:) Yes it can be done!
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    you dont need to run to be ripped... it helps tho especially if you like to eat.
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    Never been a runner. Always wanted too though. Lost my weight by diet,weights and HIIT (intervals). Feel free to add me!
  • kasslass2
    kasslass2 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies and advice. Appreciate it. Feel free to add me if you would like!
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    No runnihng for me either and I have dropped 30 pounds (some pre mfp) and over 4 inches off my waist. Eliptical, skating, hiking, WEIGHT LIFTING, core work, bodyblade, bosu, etc.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I'm sick from April to October with allergies, so I get almost no exercise. Yet I've managed to keep losing weight, even if it's slower than I wish it was.

However, I feel better when I workout. If you don't want to run, how about a bicycle? Weights? Swimming? Just because you can lose weight without exercise doesn't mean you should if it's possible to work out. Our bodies were designed to move much more than they do every day in our modern world.

Sorry to sound preachy, I know how it is to not want to workout even when I can. I'm very bored with my neighborhood circuits, I wish I was in better shape so I could go faster and get them over with sooner! But the way I feel after I'm done is really worth the boredom.
  • jmcnally13
    jmcnally13 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use the Futuro adjustable one. It's black, about $17/brace. I got mine at CVS. Started using these because the cheaper Futuro ones didn't provide enough support & my MCL started to get really sore. Cut back running to 3x/wk, rather than daily, and changed knee braces. So far, so good!
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    No running for me! I have bad feet and a bad back and can't physicially run yet and I'm doing just fine. I count calories, lift, and the the elliptical hard!
  • jmcnally13
    jmcnally13 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My mom & brother are runners, but I've never really been. Just started up (for myself, no one else), and I'm up to 2 miles, 3x/wk. Some runs are good from the first step, some suck the whole way, and some improve throughout. Regardless, if you don't like it or can't do it....DON'T! There's no point in attempting something you hate, cuz you'll never keep doing it.
  • randomnennie
    randomnennie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Walking, cycling and just good ol' changing up my diet!

Now I have added running into my workout but that started this week so it doesn't count just yet
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!