Anyone doing 5:2/intermittent fasting?

Options
Hi, after I watched the BBC horizon programme on the health and weight loss benefits of intermittent fasting (I'm from U.K) I am thinking of having a go at the 5:2 diet. I averaged out my weekly expenditure and if I eat 600 on "fast" days and 1700 on "feed" days it's still the same deficit as restricting calories every day, and the thought of getting to eat 1700 sounds great to me! No way could I do the actual no food type of fast.
Just wanted feedback from anyone, good or bad, who has tried this, eg timing meals for exercise on fast days (I'm thinking morning) any problems over eating after fast days? I'm actually kind of hoping that getting to eat more on feed days will curb the urges to over eat that you can on constant restriction because you don't feel deprived? That sort of thing, and of course it would be great to meet some support buddies.

Replies

• Adamski7
    Options
    I've been fasting Mon, Thurs, Sat for about eight weeks following the recent Horizon programme you have mentioned. My weight loss has slowed but is still a good steady decline. I fast from evening to evening, which sounds a lot but in effect is missing breakfast and lunch three times a week. At first my body's high insulin levels make my hunger pangs uncomfortable, but with in a few weeks I was used to it. A difficult day now is when I wake up thinking "eggs for breakfast" and then remember it's a fasting day. This is exactly what happened this morning. It's now 17.15 and i haven't really thought about food, and I've cooked a lasagne, sausage sandwiches and a cake for my kids!

Fasting is more than just weight loss, as you know from the programme. I have to say I really enjoy fast days, or down days now. There is something liberating about breaking free from the food cycle and I get more time to enjoy myself. For lunch today I went to the golf driving range instead of eating...

I work out a lot. One thing they don't mention on the programme is IF in combination with resistance training. It really works. When the body is in starvation mode it produces more growth hormone for muscle development. Before you think “oh I don't want to get big” - relax, as a woman you physically can't (unless you are taking steroids). What you can do is build good firm muscle that will increase your metabolic rate and assist fat burn, Here is a good article on the benefits http://firthfitness.com/intermittent-fasting-for-fat-loss/

And here is a good book to read http://www.eatstopeat.com/

Good luck

Adam
  • tsboulanger
    tsboulanger Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I just started this week... I'm doing the 5:2 and I decided to fast on Tuesday & Thursday and as close to 500 calories as I can... :) I haven't decided calorie count on feed days or if I should stick with my 1200 that I have been doing daily or to up it!?! I'm going to try for a couple weeks and change if needed. I was losing a few pounds with just calorie counting and excerise but wanted to see how this works. Felt great Tuesday knowing I could eat more on Wednesday... so I think the 2 days not consecutive will help me :) Good luck!! Keep us posted on results
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    This way of eating has been discussed quite a bit on MFP - have a look for groups on 5:2 and Intermittent Fasting.

I've been doing 5:2 for about 8 weeks now. Like you, I like being able to eat more on Up Days and don't find Down Days too difficult usually. I'm getting better at cooking dinner with a rumbling tum, though it is hard not to snack then.

I normally skip breakfast on fasting days (forgot I was supposed to be fasting today & ate cereal). My diary is open - it's easy to tell which are fasting days. Sometimes I skip lunch as well, other days I have just a leafy salad or a diet cup soup or other low cal soup. I used to find I got hungry before the normal time for meals on the day after a fast, but this is less noticeable now, so I think my body is getting used to being hungry sometimes & can deal with it.

I don't fuss about doing exercise, or not doing it on fast days. I just go for what I want to do, or would normally do & find that there are no consequences - I've never got wobbly & it helps distract from tummy rumbles.

Overall, I've found it makes me more mindful of what I eat and how I feel - whether I'm actually hungry or my mouth just wants something to eat.

Good luck with trying this schedule for eating. It doesn't suit everyone but the only way you'll find out if it is for you is by trying it.
  • Slimtara
    Slimtara Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am doing Johnsons Up day Down day diet. There's a calculator on the website depending on your plan, height and weight. I was plateauing so used 5:2 to kick start my weightloss. I now have average BMI but body fat too high - so I am sub 400 on a dd and no more than 1200 on an up day and I am loving it. Much brighter, more energetic, and slimmer. I only have a little more to lose and then my maintainance cals go up to 1500:800 and I will start to tone at the gym in earnest. There are some good feastfastfeed; and IF and ADF Facebook groups ; they really help me. Good luck on your journey.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I just started IF this week at the suggestion of my boyfriend. In the past I thought it seemed dumb and I couldn't fathom not eating breakfast, but the more I've read about it, the more I like how it sounds. I'm doing it leangains-style except slightly modified, 14 hours fasting and 10 hours fed. So far, surprisingly, I haven't been too hungry in the mornings, and I like that when I do start to eat, I feel so full and satisfied all day.
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    Im not familiar with 5:2 what is that. Like 5 days regular eating, 2 days fasting 24 hours? Sounds like Brad Pilon method.
    I can do a day - 2 days I feel like **** and start losing lean body mass. Strength is in the pits.

Normal I do a daily fast: 20hours with 4 hour feeding. Im back on the 6-meal plan for a little but I hate it.
  • juliejeff
    juliejeff Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am planning to start the 5:2 next week. I need to plan fast days around my running so will do my fasts on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I am hoping this resolves my usual problem of being fine Monday to Thursday, then feeling deprived cos 'its the weekend!' and overeating, therefore not really loosing any weight. I seriously need to loose about 1 /2 to 2 stones, which will dramatically improve my running times.

Any advice gratefully received!
  • beattie1
    Options
    Have you watched the Horizon documentary that brought this way of eating to many people's attention? Here's the link to it on youtube -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfna7nV7WaM

Your plan looks OK to me - it's nice having extra calories "in the bank" for social occasions so you may well find that it helps you lose weight. It's the amount you eat over the whole week that counts.
  • juliejeff
    Options
    Hi, yes I watched the documentary, that was what got me thinking about it. Hopefully it will help me even out my weeks calories as you point out. You have done very well loosing 53lbs!!
  • beattie1
    Options
    Thanks! I did about 6 months on regular calorie counting and the last couple of months doing 5:2. I found I'd been "unfriended" by a couple of people when I started it. Can't please everybody all the time. *shrugs*
  • Smurfette1987
    Smurfette1987 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses, good to know it's not too taboo. First week has gone ok, I still manage to run 3 miles on on fast days, no wobbles or anything. Have gone over quite a bit on feed days a couple of times, but I guess once my head gets used to the idea that I am not starving it and will always get to eat the next day that should calm down a bit. For me the fast days aren't the hardest, it's how bloaty and full i feel on feed days :( early days yet though.
    p.s yep I always make sure I lift fairly heavy, gutted it won't give me a beard and make me look like Arnie though!
  • juliejeff
    Options
    First day of fasting, stuck to 1300 cals yesterday and did 7 mile run. Planning to have a banana at lunchtime then some soup at around 5pm. Hope it goes according to plan!
  • TracyBraybrook
    Options
    I really enjoyed 5:2 intermittent fasting and it is definitely something I will continue in the future. When I started the fast I was 10 ½ stone and 27% body fat. I ended seven weeks later having lost 16lbs and 4% of my fat index. I only fasted two days a week, didn't train during that time and didn't watch what I ate on my 'feed' days. If anyone is interested in reading my blog of the journey it can be downloaded free from our website: [mod edit]
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I really enjoyed 5:2 intermittent fasting and it is definitely something I will continue in the future. When I started the fast I was 10 ½ stone and 27% body fat. I ended seven weeks later having lost 16lbs and 4% of my fat index. I only fasted two days a week, didn't train during that time and didn't watch what I ate on my 'feed' days. If anyone is interested in reading my blog of the journey it can be downloaded free from our website:

Just to put this in reference for everyone. Of those 16lbs of weight loss, 7 lbs of it was muscle. This means, you are under feeding your body and not receiving the ideal benefits from interim fasting. This means, you will need more fuel on non fasting days to prevent muscle loss.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi, after I watched the BBC horizon programme on the health and weight loss benefits of intermittent fasting (I'm from U.K) I am thinking of having a go at the 5:2 diet. I averaged out my weekly expenditure and if I eat 600 on "fast" days and 1700 on "feed" days it's still the same deficit as restricting calories every day, and the thought of getting to eat 1700 sounds great to me! No way could I do the actual no food type of fast.
    Just wanted feedback from anyone, good or bad, who has tried this, eg timing meals for exercise on fast days (I'm thinking morning) any problems over eating after fast days? I'm actually kind of hoping that getting to eat more on feed days will curb the urges to over eat that you can on constant restriction because you don't feel deprived? That sort of thing, and of course it would be great to meet some support buddies.

Just so you know, you can probably eat 1700 + calories every day if you are active. Almost every women I know is eating 1700-2100 calories as long as they are exercising 4days +.
  • Frances4646
    Options
    Yes it works really well because you only do 2 lower kcal days a week so on those days you just think that it's onnly for a day, I did it before and will start again. I'm just eating generally lower kcals everyday atm because I'm in the right mind set atm and I don't want to disrrupt my progress so far. But I'm going to reincorporate it when I maybe am tempted to break my new diet or if I plateau as I think its especially good for when you need to vary your calorie intake to up your metabolism again.

I lost 8lbs in a month on it, but I ate v well on the feed days and my friends dad has been doing it for 2 months and has lost a stone! Just remember it only works if you don't go over 110% of your recommended calories on your feed days (so for women this would be 2200kcals max).

Also for women it said on the programme that really you should be having 400-500kcals max, 600 was for men. If you type in on google news the horizon programme's name or something you should find some good articles on it, and I think it's the independant which has some low kcal recipe ideas too.
  • userid640
    Options
    Hi, yes i have been trying to get into this one as "eat what you like " sounds good to me. Like most people, the thought of going without for only two days is do-able. I am surprised at my change of attitude towards what I actually do have on GDs. I am actually really obsessing about this and am probably underdoing it. i think this will be bad for me so I am trying to learn from others what "normal " is. Any tips ?