Office type of work advice needed

deniseearheart
deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
I am really excited about my new job I got today at the college but , I have never worked this type of job. Anything I should know?? They hired me knowing I have no experience doing this!

Replies

• sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    What does the job involve? Once you get past the basics of using the computer and telephone, office work will vary greatly depending on which part of the college you are working in.

One of my greatest frustrations with other office workers (hence why I offer this suggestion), is people who don't stay current with commonly used programs on their PC, Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc. This leads them to do things the hard way or make mistakes. As someone who is largely responsible for the outward presentation of materials from our company, this means I have to spend a lot of my time reworking other people's works.

So be sure to take every chance to improve your skills and you will be fine.

Good luck with your new job.
  • deniseearheart
    What does the job involve? Once you get past the basics of using the computer and telephone, office work will vary greatly depending on which part of the college you are working in.

One of my greatest frustrations with other office workers (hence why I offer this suggestion), is people who don't stay current with commonly used programs on their PC, Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc. This leads them to do things the hard way or make mistakes. As someone who is largely responsible for the outward presentation of materials from our company, this means I have to spend a lot of my time reworking other people's works.

So be sure to take every chance to improve your skills and you will be fine.

Good luck with your new job.

yes I am going to look online and seek a few tutorials if I can find them.. She said answering phones, front desk, filing, spread sheets( which I am clueless on I mean I only learned how to change the ink cartridge on my printer last night haha) Directing people where to go , knowing where the 3 ladies are at all times I will be working for to direct people, typing up letters... I am such a virgin to this job haha
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Rule #1 - Leave all the personal drama at home.
  • deniseearheart

that is not me at all. I have worked with friends who get irritated with me for not talking about personal life at work
  • deniseearheart
    Be polite, attentive, and ask about stuff you don't know...

good idea!
  • deniseearheart
    I would much rather be asked 5 questions in a day-- than have to correct 5 mistakes made by a person who was too timid or self-conscious to ask... just my 2 cents.

Okay :-)
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    1. Do not eat other's people's food in the office fridge.

2. Assume that someone is going to eat the food you put in the office fridge.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305

Rule #2 - Avoid office politics!!

Correction: You can't really avoid it, so learn to deal with it as best you can!
  • deniseearheart
    1. Do not eat other's people's food in the office fridge.

2. Assume that someone is going to eat the food you put in the office fridge.
    \\\\

haha ya I have had that done to me before :-(
  • deniseearheart

Rule #2 - Avoid office politics!!

Correction: You can't really avoid it, so learn to deal with it as best you can!

K :-)
  • Petitepuce61034
    Petitepuce61034 Posts: 6 Member
    Hi.

Hum. I just wanted to say. Spread sheets isn't about printers or sheets, spreadsheets are Excel files.

Cheers and good luck
  • deniseearheart
    Hi.

Hum. I just wanted to say. Spread sheets isn't about printers or sheets, spreadsheets are Excel files.

Cheers and good luck

haha K . I am going to look online this weekend
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Anyone that starts a new job, whether or not they have experience in that field, has a learning curve at the new job. Give it a couple of weeks and you will be fine.

If you have bad memory, take notes until you have it down pat

Don't stress, you will be fine over time, if you take your job seriously, it will all come together

Goodluck
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Definitely look up an Excel tutorial if that's what they use for their spreadsheets (most likely). That program can do some amazing things if you know how to work it. The basic functions are pretty simple, but there's a whole other world underneath it where you can do calculations, graphs, and a ton of other thngs. What specific tips you'd need would depend on what they track at your office, so I can't be much help there.

Congrats, and good luck!
  • deniseearheart
    Anyone that starts a new job, whether or not they have experience in that field, has a learning curve at the new job. Give it a couple of weeks and you will be fine.

If you have bad memory, take notes until you have it down pat

Don't stress, you will be fine over time, if you take your job seriously, it will all come together

Goodluck

thanks :-) I really hope it works out for me. I have always wanted to do this type of work so I can work Monday through Friday and have holidays off
  • deniseearheart
    Definitely look up an Excel tutorial if that's what they use for their spreadsheets (most likely). That program can do some amazing things if you know how to work it. The basic functions are pretty simple, but there's a whole other world underneath it where you can do calculations, graphs, and a ton of other thngs. What specific tips you'd need would depend on what they track at your office, so I can't be much help there.

Congrats, and good luck!

It is for running start students at the college... I also have to take a class on confidentiality
  • sunnygirl87
    sunnygirl87 Posts: 40 Member
    Get a good style manual on technical writing. Use it!
    Make lists and check off your to-do list! Helps you keep track of your responsibilities, who said what and what you accomplished!
    Be polite, no matter what.
    Never make an excuse for a mistake. Use it as a learning opportunity. Make it right.
    Be on time every time! Be early and eager.
    Don't gossip
    Don't share your personal info you'd never want put on the internet!
    Don't bring your personal life to your job
    Count to five before you give your opinion.
    If you have anything negative to say, couch it in positive-negative/criticism-positive!
    SMILE!
  • Ginnyesq
    Ginnyesq Posts: 109
    Turn off the ringer on your cell. I hate having to listen to someone else's ringtone all day.
  • K_Smith86
    K_Smith86 Posts: 123
    -Never be afraid to ask questions! Even if you feel it's a dumb question. Also, write down the question, and the answer they give you in case you forget in the future.
    -Try your best to stay out of office drama. You can't completely avoid it, but stay as far away from it as you can.
    -I found that taking notes when they teach you something that's new to you really helps. It gives you something to look back on later, and once you do it enough and it becomes habit, you won't need those notes anymore.
    -Show the willingness to learn - especially since they know you don't have the experience but hired you anyway, it shows that they have faith and confidence in you that you can do the job to their satisfaction. Prove them right!
    -Smile and be yourself :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    You'll do great. They know you don't have experience and they'll train you. Basic spreadsheets are really easy - they probably have it all set up and you'll just type the information in the boxes.

Don't be afraid to say you don't know something. To your co-workers they'll understand and train you. For customers it's okay to say you don't know but you will find out and then help them with whatever they need. 99.99% of the time they will be okay with this.